Jun 13, 2007
Yes, you are... I man, you aren't ;>
The bike looks good, though

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i see a problem and it starts with "K"
mechanics are going to have some pretty strong forearms with all the clipping they're going to have to do...! but seriously, I thought reports coming from the tire-geeks on teh :monkey: were that the excavator and even CG were pretty good...?

Also, my understanding is that's not the team bike. It's a bike built up for a photo... maybe with parts that were lying around the factory floor?

I think tires is what I'm most curious about with the 650b craze. what tires will be made and when will they available to us mooks. actually, what I'm most concerned about is will the manfacturers still make my favourite tires in 26... :think:

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Odd that the intense has kenderps and the dirt "shed bike" has schelbow blue stripes.

Rear end does look long.

edit: inb4 "forced obsolescence". Just like Intense rendered 26" wheel obsolete with their one-off 29er frame.

Last edited:

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Spoke to Scott Sharples about all the 27.5 frames. They are the same as the 26" frames what a adjusted dropout. Longer and up to get the BB drop and tire clearance.
So it's not a new frame or rear end.
Vm

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Spoke to Scott Sharples about all the 27.5 frames. They are the same as the 26" frames what a adjusted dropout. Longer and up to get the BB drop and tire clearance.
So it's not a new frame or rear end.
Vm
The rear end sure looks different to me, and it's not just a different dropout.

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I'm guessing that a Socom with the Slacker dropouts will also fit a 27.5" rear wheel... albeit at the expense of the 'Slacker' effect.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its a completely different rear triangle w/ no G3 dropouts. it also looks like it is using a direct mount derailleur. it also has fork bumpers built into the frame as well

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Longer chainstay and larger wheels.... that should exaggerate the misalignment quite well.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm gonna give Sharples the benefit of the doubt and assume his discussion with VMartinez was about other bikes. Either that or the M9 is getting a new rear end for all wheel sizes and we are simply looking at it set up for 27.5.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Didn't BCD run a 29" wheel in a fox 40 with a shaved arch?

memory is a bit hazy

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
yep, rear triangle is different: doesn use G3 drop-outs. But as someone mentioned, this is just a proto: steber can chuck these things together overnight as he is prone to do. But i still think there is sufficient clearance on the current M9 triangle, and any additional clearances/geo changes required can't be handled by a suitably modified G3 dropout.

but it would be against the industry norm to just sell you a bit of aluminium to get the latest and greatest.
Must.Sell.More.Bikes.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
I was talking to Scott at Dealer Camp in Park City in July about the 275 bikes. This was in regards to the trail bikes and the 29er DH bike they showed earlier in 2012.
Being that they still make there alloy frames they can build any rear end they want.

He was just saying that's how they where able to get the 275 frames to market so fast. Carbine and Tracer Frames.
VM

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Didn't BCD run a 29" wheel in a fox 40 with a shaved arch?

memory is a bit hazy
One of our local riders has this Fox 180 Talas with limited up-travel and shaved crown to fit the 29" 2.35 Hans Dampf

I remember reading about one of the Manitou tech's that was riding a Sherman that had the travel limited and the arch removed completely with a 29" wheel. He said that the 20mm Hex thru-axle was more rigid than other 29er forks on the market although that was years ago.