Quantcast

Exclusive Neko Mulally/TWR Interview with Ian Hylands Photos

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

We've lined up a series of interviews with the riders that make up Trek World Racing. First up is the kid, Neko Mulally. The Junior is racing alongside some of the fastest in the world, and doing an awesome job of it. Read on...
---

Interview by David Peacock
Photos by Ian Hylands

Hey Neko, welcome to Ridemonkey! First off, how is your off-season going?

N: Thanks! The off-season is going well. It's good to be home for a while.

Do you have a specific or arduous training regiment set up or is it more about having fun at this point?

N: I'm really happy with my training program right now. I have been working with Colin Izzard at Carmichael Training Systems the past two seasons and we have developed a great program this year. I feel that it is specific; specific to me, my body and the areas I need to improve. I'm not just getting out and killing myself with training, I'm doing the right things and Colin and I have put a lot of time into figuring out exactly what those things are. I'm really confident in what we are doing.

Neko at last year's Port Angeles ProGRT.

Having sustained the broken arm injury early last season, are you approaching the start of this year any differently?

N: The broken arm was a huge setback last season. It came at a horrible time. However, to race downhill I need to ride downhill and with that there is always a risk. With the lessons I learned from last year, I will be more cautious with the bike time pre-season.

Looking ahead to this year are there any tracks that you’re excited to race, and any that look a bit daunting?

N: The schedule this year is awesome. I like how the tracks go from longer, more fitness based courses to technically challenging tracks as the year progresses. I look forward to the first few rounds of the series where I feel the tracks will suit me better.

On his way to 2nd at the MSA World Championships.

What are your main goals approaching the 2011 World Cups?

N: The goal this year is to maintain consistency while striving for quality results at each race. Last year I set out with some very specific goals in mind that I built my season around. This year my mind set is a bit different. I want to become a consistent, well-rounded rider and put down the best runs I can on race days. If I do that, the rest will come along with it.

You took silver in the Junior category at last year’s World Champs to Troy Brosnan, do the two of you have a rivalry at all?

N: Troy and I have a lot of respect for one another. As a racer there is nothing better than challenging competition and I enjoy racing against him. We both want to beat each other on the track, but aside from that we get along quite well.

Being part of a team like Trek World Racing must be a dream come true, how would you describe your relationship with your teammates?

N: Being a part of Trek World Racing is amazing. Having the level of support TWR is able to provide gives me the opportunity to reach my full potential. The whole team gets along really well. Last year Tracy, Justin and Andrew really helped me out. Tracy had a ton of wisdom to share after having done it all these years. It was awesome seeing her win the Worlds this year. Justin was able to help me with my training and preparation during the season. Not having my coach along at all the races, Justin stepped in and guided me through much of what was new to me. Andrew was awesome last year with teaching me the survival tips of traveling. Over the break between Leogang and Champery he let me tag along with him in Europe for the month. I had an amazing time and was really fortunate to have him to show me the ropes. It's great when the XC team is at the same event as we are, and were able to all be together. With staff, our team had 17 members last year which is a pretty large group. We are all family though and everyone contributes to the team’s success.

Are there any major differences between how you prepare versus how Tracy and Justin approach race day?

N: Not really, on a race weekend we all follow the same general program.

With the addition of Aaron Gwin to the roster, do you think your relationship with your teammates will change at all?

N: I think with Aaron around it will only make us stronger and relationships closer. Bringing his talent and experience onto the team will surely reflect onto all of us. Aaron's presence alone will help Justin, Tracy and I push ourselves to the next level.

Who or what has been the single biggest influence on your riding style?

N: I think that my desire to win has influenced my riding style most. I have never been a flashy rider with an arsenal of cool looking tricks, but I have been, in my opinion, consistently pushing to reach my goals which has influenced my riding style. Ever since I was a kid racing BMX I was a goal-oriented person. I would always do whatever it took to figure out how to win. If I didn't win a race I could see why and come back from it stronger. My riding style has always been pre-calculated to be, in my mind, the best way to ride a bike in order to achieve my goals.

This year has the potential to unlock a lot of doors for you, are you apprehensive about that at all or do you approach it as if it’s just “another day at the races”?

N: I have found that if you approach a race as "just another day at the races" that is exactly what it will be. You need to go into each one planning to do something really special if you want to be great.

Thanks very much Neko, best of luck this season.

Attachments

DhUrbaner

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
Neko was going so fast that the heat from his rear tire fused them together!? Just a guess. That banner says shimano on it?