Quantcast

Explaining Religious Psychosis

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
^ That article describes most of my family. My aunt refused treatment for her breast cancer because the end times were so rapidly approaching, she'd was sure be raptured before the cancer killed her.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
My mom's side of the family is Mennonite. Some more conservative than others, but all pretty damn conservative. Mom grew up wearing a covering, not allowed to wear makeup, jewelry, dance, etc. My great great grandmother on that side was Amish.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
impressive

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/19/politics/sessions-church-complaint/index.html

"More than 600 members of the United Methodist Church have issued a formal complaint against Attorney General Jeff Sessions, a fellow church member, charging that his "zero tolerance" policy on immigration violates church rules and may constitute child abuse."
Ooh, scary. But did they consult AR-15-born-at-the-Alamo-on-the-4th-of-July-swaddled-in-a-Confederate-flag-white-pasty-Jesus?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Former state GOP leader, claiming to be Christ, said God told him to kill his mother's dog, police say

A former leader of the South Carolina Republican Party known for his incendiary tweets about Trayvon Martin, Nancy Pelosi and others is now facing felony charges after allegedly slaughtering a family dog.

Todd Kincannon, a former lawyer, told officers that he had to "sacrifice" his mother's dog. Kincannon also told them he is "the second coming of Christ" and that God told him to kill the dog, saying that Jesus needs a sacrifice and blood spilled every 1,000 years, according to a police report.

Police said the incident happened at Kincannon's parents' home in Simpsonville, South Carolina, where he had been living. His father called police about 1:30 a.m. July 26, saying that his wife had locked herself in the bathroom because she was "absolutely terrified" of their son, who had just killed their dog "with his bare hands," the report says.

An officer found Kincannon sitting on the house's porch steps, shirtless and covered in blood and dog hair, according to the report. As he talked to officers, Kincannon rambled about Christ and the "second coming."

"I'm Jesus, I'm not making it up. I have a sign. I'm about to get crucified in the media," he told officers, according to the report. "The reason I killed the dog is this, it's real simple . . . I'm sorry, I think ya'll are going to have to take me to the Psych Institution, I get that. But I'll tell you from a legal standpoint you know, it's in the State Constitution that God is sovereign and I honestly think he told me to do it."

Police found Bailey, his mother's 10-year-old beagle and cattle dog mix, lying on the kitchen floor, riddled with stab wounds and covered in blood, the report says.

Kincannon, 37, was taken to Greenville Memorial Hospital for a mental health evaluation, police said. He has not been arrested, and it was unclear Friday whether he was still at the hospital. He has been charged with ill treatment of animals. A spokesman for the Simpsonville Police Department did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Kincannon made headlines several years ago for several inflammatory tweets about Pelosi, whom he referred to as "crooked," among other things, often using vulgar epithets.

He caused further uproar in 2013 with tweets he wrote during the Super Bowl, which was being held in New Orleans.
"It hasn't been this dark in the Superdome since all those poors occupied it after Hurricane Katrina," he tweeted in February 2013, the year a blackout delayed the game.

Minutes later, he wrote comments about Martin, the black teen who was fatally shot by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman in 2012.

"Will karma find me as quick as it did Trayvon?" he wrote in one of the tweets. "Oh wait I make it past my 18th birthday. So I guess the answer is no," he wrote.

In an interview with HuffPost in 2013, Kincannon said he tweets incendiary comments to rile people and watch their outrage for fun.

His Twitter account has since been suspended.

In 2015, Kincannon was arrested on a domestic violence charge after his wife told officers that she was in fear for her life. The two had a fight after attending an event and Kincannon screamed at her while he was driving, leading her to lower her window and yell at passing drivers for help, the Charlotte Observer reported.

Kincannon's law license was later suspended.

His LinkedIn page, which appears to be infrequently updated, says he was "executive director, general counsel and parliamentarian" for the South Carolina Republican Party from 2004 to 2010.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Former-state-GOP-leader-claiming-to-be-Christ-13130215.php

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Colorado man that was sued for not making cake for same-sex couple goes back to court after refusing to make a cake for a gender transition. Now, why would you go to man that went to the Supreme Court for refusing to make a gay couple cake, to get your trans cake made and then get mad when he refused? The attorney knew what was going to happen and did it just for spite.

It's one of those typical cases of, "I demand you to respect/accept my belief but i refuse to respect/accept yours."
Why couldn't s/he just go somewhere else and avoid the hassle? Why does everyone have to conform? Why can't people just be left to their own beliefs?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/colorado-baker-who-refused-to-make-cake-for-gays-sues-again/ar-BBLYepm?ocid=ientp

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Is that the 11th commandment? Thou shalt not let people of color eateth at thine lunch counter.
No, but the "my religous convictions!" argument was also used to justify slavery. It was bullshit then, it's bullshit now. A bronze age fairy tale isn't an excuse to be a douche, no matter how much it justifies your bigoted world view.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Colorado man that was sued for not making cake for same-sex couple goes back to court after refusing to make a cake for a gender transition. Now, why would you go to man that went to the Supreme Court for refusing to make a gay couple cake, to get your trans cake made and then get mad when he refused? The attorney knew what was going to happen and did it just for spite.

It's one of those typical cases of, "I demand you to respect/accept my belief but i refuse to respect/accept yours."
Why couldn't s/he just go somewhere else and avoid the hassle? Why does everyone have to conform? Why can't people just be left to their own beliefs?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/colorado-baker-who-refused-to-make-cake-for-gays-sues-again/ar-BBLYepm?ocid=ientp
If people want to be selective about who they serve, they should form their own private cake-baking clubs, you have to be a member, and then they can limit who joins the club.

If you hold out to the public as offering a product to the public, you damn well better do so.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
No one protests or Sue's Chic-fil-a for being closed on Sundays for religious reasons. They deal with it and move on to the next place. Its like here in Arizona, open and conceal carry is legal but businesses can decide for themselves if they allow them in the stores or not. As a privately owned business, he can decide who he wants to serve. Even if it's not the correct thing to do.

But my main thing about the article is why would you go to a business, that you already know won't serve you, just to start shit. I'm sure there are other bakeries in that town. Vote with the wallet, if he gets no business, he will have to shut down.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Keep asking for cakes, keep the snowflake so bent out of shape, that he either finally concedes the point, or closes the shop to protect his fragile sky-fairy from the hurts. Really sounds like somebody wants a boyfriend but has just a bit of internal conflict.