Quantcast

Exploding tyres

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Hello all.
I recently installed same Odyssey P lites on my Sunday Model C.
Rode them for about a wek, them last night was woken by a huge bang I thought was a gun shot, only to fond both tyres had exploded!!!
Now have installed DMR motos that only go up to 65 psi.
No problems so far.
Anyone else experienced a similar problem?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Both tires at the same time? The tires themselves exploded?

I could see if one bead slipped the rim and the tube blew out. But both tires just completely blew sidewall randomly?

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Yep. Both side walls split wide open.
I only use a hand pump as well. Pump is brand new.
All very odd.
I used Specialized inner tubes.
Now switched to different inner tubes and DMR tires.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Quit putting so much air in your tires. That's insane. You're not gaining anything out of it.

You shouldn't be blowing up tires though. But what you can do with that much pressure if you don't have anything in the tire like baby powder you can actually pinch the tube up against the tire since it can't slip. I had that happen to me once in a hotel room..scared the shlt out of me. The tire just blew off the rim though, it didn't tear or anything.

I have no idea why both of them would blow at the same time.....maybe they were getting hot in a garage somewhere?

But at that much pressure, they're kind of just looking for a reason to release in some way.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hello all.
I recently installed same Odyssey P lites on my Sunday Model C.
Rode them for about a wek, them last night was woken by a huge bang I thought was a gun shot, only to fond both tyres had exploded!!!
Now have installed DMR motos that only go up to 65 psi.
No problems so far.
Anyone else experienced a similar problem?
If you only heard one bang, then that's because the first one blew out earlier in the day and you didn't notice. There's no way they would go simultaneously ! ; )

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Quit putting so much air in your tires. That's insane. You're not gaining anything out of it.
Why? This is what they were designed for. This is why I bought them.
What pressure would you recommend for a tyre with max psi of 100psi?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you are running these tires off road you generally want to run the lowest pressure possible with out pinch-flatting or rolling the tire off the rim in corners. Why would you want to run the pressure so high?
Don't go crazy now, remember what forum you're in.

iksmudge: you're dirtjumping and riding concrete on this thing right? 60-70 is fine. I seriously doubt you'll even be able to tell the difference going any higher than that. It just doesn't accomplish anything. Except for maybe blowing up your tires.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Don't go crazy now, remember what forum you're in.

iksmudge: you're dirtjumping and riding concrete on this thing right? 60-70 is fine. I seriously doubt you'll even be able to tell the difference going any higher than that. It just doesn't accomplish anything. Except for maybe blowing up your tires.
My bad, I generally have no idea where I am.

Last edited: