Quantcast

Explosion in London

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
N8 said:
Is this true?
You also forgot the first paragraph which is even more telling....

This war is an abject and utter failure. What everyone thought would be a quick, decisive victory has turned into an embarrassing series of reversals. The enemy, -- a ragtag, badly-fed collection of hotheads and fanatics – has failed to be shocked and awed by the most magnificent military machine ever fielded. Their dogged resistance has shown us the futility of the idea that a nation of millions could ever be subjugated and administered, no matter what obscene price we are willing to pay in blood and money.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
N8 said:
WRONG!

They want to kill those who do not believe in the god they do.
Bush is a tool but this statement is ultimately correct. If we weren't messing with them they would find someone else to kill or just attack us anyway for some other reason.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I really have a hard time believing that. Fanatics exist for a reason. In this case because they feel alienated, persecuted, disenfranchised and ignored. They feel like they have no option to react they way they do. What else can they do? There are many examples through out history. The American revolution comes to mind.

Maybe I am naive but I don't think it is human nature to react this way unless pushed and pushed hard. Perhaps if the underlying conditions that led to their situation were addressed in the past this wouldn't be happening now.

And by saying "they" are you saying all Muslims want to kill all Infidels? Clearly that isn't the case. Only a few religious hardliners in my estimation and some easily persuadable youth with bleak looking futures.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
ok....the BBC updated their death toll. But still you cant trust American media.

I think religious fundamentalism has no place in the world today, whether Christian or Islam or whatever. Haven't we evolved past this archaic way of thinking?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
TN said:
I think religious fundamentalism has no place in the world today, whether Christian or Islam or whatever. Haven't we evolved past this archaic way of thinking?

I think someone hasn't been paying attention to the events in the middle east over the last 50+ years....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
TN said:

That's all I'm trying to say. Thanks for summing it up.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
N8 said:
WRONG!

They want to kill those who do not believe in the god they do.
As I understand it, "God" is the same in Islam and Christianity. Allah is Arabic for God. If you look at both religions side-by-side, you'll see they are very much alike. Even more so when you compare Islam to conservative Christian beliefs. The driving force behind a lot of the friction is the Christian diefication (sp?) of Jesus and to a certain extent, Mary, and, in some Muslim eyes, the disregard of God's laws. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, there are Islamic groups who boil this down to "kill all who don't believe what I do." :(

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
jdschall said:
I really have a hard time believing that. Fanatics exist for a reason. In this case because they feel alienated, persecuted, disenfranchised and ignored. They feel like they have no option to react they way they do. What else can they do? There are many examples through out history. The American revolution comes to mind.

Maybe I am naive but I don't think it is human nature to react this way unless pushed and pushed hard. Perhaps if the underlying conditions that led to their situation were addressed in the past this wouldn't be happening now.

And by saying "they" are you saying all Muslims want to kill all Infidels? Clearly that isn't the case. Only a few religious hardliners in my estimation and some easily persuadable youth with bleak looking futures.
So when these same terrorists are killing a church full of Pakistani Christians or mass murdering Iraqi civilians - whos persecuting who in that situation? There are more muslim governments persecuting their own people than the US yet we are the bad guys? Why? Because muslims persecuting muslims seems to be ok as long as it is the name of religious extremism or follows the edicts of their religious leaders. This is much more about religion than persecution. If the terrorists win against us, they will just go back to killing and persecuting their own people full time until they get everything they want.

Oh I forgot - Bush should go to jail for decieving the American people.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BikeGeek said:
As I understand it, "God" is the same in Islam and Christianity. Allah is Arabic for God. If you look at both religions side-by-side, you'll see they are very much alike. Even more so when you compare Islam to conservative Christian beliefs. The driving force behind a lot of the friction is the Christian diefication (sp?) of Jesus and to a certain extent, Mary, and, in some Muslim eyes, the disregard of God's laws. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, there are Islamic groups who boil this down to "kill all who don't believe what I do." :(

Yes this what confuses me with the Israel vs. Muslim World... the are 'brothers' in religion and ethnicity...

E

enkidu

I wrote this in the Political D forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff
I'm fine. . .

It was only ever really a matter of time until something like this happened.

Good to hear that you are alright. . . We can't afford to lose our in-house reclusive wizard.

It really was a matter of time. As a former CIA analyst, Michael Scheuer, writes in Imperial Hubris (p.263) as long as our policies toward the Muslim world are not changed they will only serve to fuel the Islamists' explosive hatred. Which, in turn, generates anti-Muslim hatred.

"The Islamists in al Qaeda, in other similar groups, and ordinary Muslims worldwide have been infected by hatred for U.S. policies toward the Muslim world. America's support for Israel, Russia, China, India, Algeria, Uzbekistan, and others against Islamists; its protection of multiple Muslim tyrannies; its efforts to control oil policy and pricing; and its military activities in Afghanistan, Iraq, the Arabian Peninsula, and elsewhere - these are the sources of the infection of hatred spreading in the Islamic world."

Are we to "stay the course" of this spiral widening of the hateful chasm?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BikeGeek said:
Unfortunately for the rest of the world, there are Islamic groups who boil this down to "kill all who don't believe what I do." :(
Unfortunately this is just a common theme of humanity. It has been going on for a very long time by a lot of different groups. McCarthism, Pol Pot, Nazis, Indian Wars...... Islamic fundamentalism is just the flavour du jour.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
BikeGeek said:
It is in human nature to force ones opinion on other people.
Some people make this their lifes work, and some people are willing to do anything for this. The cause is irrelivent it boils down to a morral issue of not killing inocent people to force an opinion.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
N8 said:
I think someone hasn't been paying attention to the events in the middle east over the last 50+ years....
what is you point? spell it out for me. draw me a picture or how about a powerpoint presentation?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
Unfortunately this is just a common theme of humanity. It has been going on for a very long time by a lot of different groups. McCarthism, Pol Pot, Nazis, Indian Wars...... Islamic fundamentalism is just the flavour du jour.

So the muslim world is running roughly 60 years behind the US and Europe?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
enkidu said:

Mike D has some very insightful and well researched posts in PD forum on this topic. There is a good chance if we conceeded certain things (walked away with our tails between our legs, ie Spain) a large percentage of terrorist groups would probably leave us alone, but certain extreme extremeist would stay their course. It would cause certain policy changes that would probably have little affect on National security/stability but would take a giant hit to American Pride. So do we bite the bullet and retreat or enter into a long expensive war of attrition? So far public opinion is to fight and my guess it will remain that way.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Ridemonkey said:
So when these same terrorists are killing a church full of Pakistani Christians or mass murdering Iraqi civilians - whos persecuting who in that situation? There are more muslim governments persecuting their own people than the US yet we are the bad guys?
Yes, The US and the west in general becomes the whipping boy because to the rest of the world we are the "haves" and they are the "have nots". and intentionally or not we flaunt it.

Ridemonkey said:
Oh I forgot - Bush should go to jail for decieving the American people.

TN said:
I think religious fundamentalism has no place in the world today, whether Christian or Islam or whatever.
I think this sums it up. What would your solution be? Kill all muslims because eventually they will want to kill us? Is that your "final solution"?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
TN said:
what is you point? spell it out for me. draw me a picture or how about a powerpoint presentation?

The middle east has not 'evolved.' Israel has been battling it daily for since 1947. Bombing of buses and resturants are monthly occurances there.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
enkidu said:
I wrote this in the Political D forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff
I'm fine. . .

It was only ever really a matter of time until something like this happened.

Good to hear that you are alright. . . We can't afford to lose our in-house reclusive wizard.

It really was a matter of time. As a former CIA analyst, Michael Scheuer, writes in Imperial Hubris (p.263) as long as our policies toward the Muslim world are not changed they will only serve to fuel the Islamists' explosive hatred. Which, in turn, generates anti-Muslim hatred.

"The Islamists in al Qaeda, in other similar groups, and ordinary Muslims worldwide have been infected by hatred for U.S. policies toward the Muslim world. America's support for Israel, Russia, China, India, Algeria, Uzbekistan, and others against Islamists; its protection of multiple Muslim tyrannies; its efforts to control oil policy and pricing; and its military activities in Afghanistan, Iraq, the Arabian Peninsula, and elsewhere - these are the sources of the infection of hatred spreading in the Islamic world."

Scheuer's biggest problem his is inability to realize that there are two sides to this. He completely fails to address the other side which is a huge flaw in his book.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
firetoole said:
how did this turn into a liberal VS right wing thread?
30 people just Died for no reason
Well duch, it is important that I clarify in my posts that my opinions are in no way supportive of our moron-president and his disaterous war in Iraq.

Bush should have his assets liquidated and divided up amongst the families of our dead and injured soldiers in the Iraqi war.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
see. bush killed those people too. The bastard.

Please someone call him a "nazi, brownshirt, and/or fascist" before the air clears

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
firetoole said:
how did this turn into a liberal VS right wing thread?
30+ people just Died for no reason

Yeah, you're correct (notice I didn't say 'right'). Sorry. It just makes me angry. It's just so senseless, the whole thing.

Ridemonkey. I like your idea of dividing up GW's wealth. Best thing I've heard all day.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
jdschall said:
Yes, The US and the west in general becomes the whipping boy because to the rest of the world we are the "haves" and they are the "have nots". and intentionally or not we flaunt it.
Many muslims would be "haves" too if their governments didn't horde their vast wealth derived from oil profits. These people should be terrorising these governments, not us.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
clancy98 said:
see. bush killed those people too. The bastard.

Please someone call him a "nazi, brownshirt, and/or fascist" before the air clears
Nazi.

I guess that means I care now.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
Ridemonkey said:
Many muslims would be "haves" too if their governments didn't horde their vast wealth derived from oil profits. These people should be terrorising these governments, not us.
yes but I bet they don't have budget defasits

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
So the muslim world is running roughly 60 years behind the US and Europe?
59 years. But it is not fair to say the muslim world because it is not really the muslim world we are fighting but a small percentage of exremists. Which really makes things harder because despite have a far superior military it is not always that affective especially in a world where we can't deliver wholesale punishment for the actions of a few.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
SkaredShtles said:
N8s right, as frightening as that sounds.

This will probably go a *long* way to changing British public opinion on a number of fronts.

The Brits, despite their bad teeth and short stature, are a feisty lot when provoked. :D
Like poking a bear with a stick