Quantcast

Explosion in London

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Ridemonkey said:
Many muslims would be "haves" too if their governments didn't horde their vast wealth derived from oil profits. These people should be terrorising these governments, not us.
Oh man, thanks for pointing out just how completely screwed the world is. Ugggg!

They do terrorise their own governments to some extent don't they? The taliban took over Afganistan (with our help even). That worked out really well. I think al qaeda attacks the Saudi royals on occasion too.

The entire worlds social system needs to change I guess. I just don't see it happening. The best we can do is try to hold on I guess.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TN said:
<snip>
I think religious fundamentalism has no place in the world today, whether Christian or Islam or whatever. Haven't we evolved past this archaic way of thinking?
Good God, what makes you think we have? :rolleyes:

On my drive across the country I saw numerous vehicles and billboards proclaming that I would burn in the fires of Hell if I didn't accept Jesus as my savior.

Hell - you live in TN. Do you mean to tell me that your neck of the woods has become "enlightened" WRT religion?

I think you can thank the current state of American right-wing fundamentalism on the liberal fundamentalists.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Westy said:
Unfortunately this is just a common theme of humanity. It has been going on for a very long time by a lot of different groups. McCarthism, Pol Pot, Nazis, Indian Wars...... Islamic fundamentalism is just the flavour du jour.
:stupid:

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
jdschall said:
Not to start a fight, but if these nut jobs had better living conditions, 3 squares a day, air conditioning, cable and a lawyer in the first place they wouldn't be running around blowing themselves and other up! There is nothing wrong with liberals wanting better for those less fortunate than us! It is unfortunate that it has to be after the fact... If we spent as much on helping others as we do on this damn war the world would be a hell of a lot better off!!!
No, certainly no fight, but a respectful debate.

I certainly agree that wanting better for the less fortunate is a wonderful goal, however, not to the point of obsession. These nut jobs don’t care about 3 squares a day, cable and an attorney, as to them this is a holy war. Killing innocent victims, on purpose, does not justify any political or democratic freedoms they may have if caught. These cowards are religious zealots, plain and simple, they posture themselves this way because they simply hate. War is war. It’s as simple as that. No one likes it, no one wants it, but in our society, and throughout human history, this has been mankind’s behavior. What is the alternative? The inquisition is another example of mans greed and personal agenda, hidden behind the guise of religion.

This war everyone is complaining about is taking considerably less lives then the dictatorship that was in place. :think: I wonder if some people realize this war is to actually help the less fortunate.

Bottom line, it is an absolute travesty that occurred in England, and the perpetrators should be caught and hung. Liberal, moderate or conservative, we can all agree that the4 purposeful taking of innocent lives is just plain wrong.

peace :)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stinkyboy said:
Has Bono released a statement yet?!
That is what the world is waiting for, Bono's deep thinking on world affairs.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
N8s right, as frightening as that sounds.

This will probably go a *long* way to changing British public opinion on a number of fronts.

The Brits, despite their bad teeth and short stature, are a feisty lot when provoked. :D
so will the UK now join in on the "war against terrorism"? it's been so successful so far, and i'm sure it will get easier as time goes on.

:nopity:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
so will the UK now join in on the "war against terrorism"? it's been so successful so far, and i'm sure it will get easier as time goes on.

I think it's safe to say that the "GWOT*" has prevented numerous attacks such as these...

*Global War On Terrorism

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
I think it's safe to say that the "GWOT*" has prevented numerous attacks such as these...

*Global War On Terrorism
References?

All I know of is the Y2K pre GWOT profusely sweating terrorist nab and the dude from Chicago who wanted to build a dirty bomb. I'm sure there have been more.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
N8 said:
The middle east has not 'evolved.' Israel has been battling it daily for since 1947. Bombing of buses and resturants are monthly occurances there.
Yup. Israel has been battling since the day they *stole* all that land from the Palestinians - with the rest of the West's blessing, I might add.

Of course, the Palestinians had stolen the land from the Jews many years earlier.......

You get the idea. The history of this conflict is older than the hills.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:

*Global War On Terrorism

do you honestly believe that? tell me what sort of security measures would be needed to prevent another bombing of a tube station or bus? add in a suicide bomber to mix, if you must.

it's nigh bloody (pardon the bad choice of words) impossible.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
References?

All I know of is the Y2K pre GWOT profusely sweating terrorist nab and the dude from Chicago who wanted to build a dirty bomb. I'm sure there have been more.

Not something any of us are going to know any time soon... perhaps in 20-30 years...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
Yup. Israel has been battling since the day they *stole* all that land from the Palestinians - with the rest of the West's blessing, I might add.

Of course, the Palestinians had stolen the land from the Jews many years earlier.......

Although still unresolved the only time things have been successful for either side is when they tried not killing each other. Exchanges of retaliation have done little to further either sides standing.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
do you honestly believe that? tell me what sort of security measures would be needed to prevent another bombing of a tube station or bus? add in a suicide bomber to mix, if you must.

This morning NPR reported that Scotland Yard arrested a hand full of people last year who were planning a similar attack.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:

I'm pretty sure they've been on board the war for awhile now.

I'm afraid that there's no "winning" a war against terrorists - it ain't the type of war that is even winnable, IMO.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:

Stole??? You mean were 'given' by the Brits as a result of WWII. They captured the rest when they were attacked by their neighbors.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Ridemonkey said:
Many muslims would be "haves" too if their governments didn't horde their vast wealth derived from oil profits. These people should be terrorising these governments, not us.
But we can't just say that all muslims are Anti-American terrorists wanting to die detinating a bomb somewhere... its just an extremist group of people. To quote the guy on 30Days when they did the muslim episode "You can't blame over a billion people on the actions of 5"

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
sirknight6 said:
No, certainly no fight, but a respectful debate.
Yeah for the most part what I've read in this thread has actually been pretty mature and thoughtful / thought provoking. I'm impressed.

...as to them this is a holy war. Killing innocent victims, on purpose, does not justify any political or democratic freedoms they may have if caught....
Yeah but why did these zealots declare war in the first place and why have they gathered so many supporters? That's my question. A question I think could be answered by looking at the social pressures that exist or existed in the past.

This war everyone is complaining about is taking considerably less lives then the dictatorship that was in place. :think: I wonder if some people realize this war is to actually help the less fortunate.
I have to agree with you here. Unforunately I feel that it was the sin of the father (not finishing what he had started in 1991), and not the son, that really screwed us in our current efforts and liberating the Iraqi peoples. Poor boy is just playing the hand he was dealt.

Bottom line, it is an absolute travesty that occurred in England, and the perpetrators should be caught and hung. Liberal, moderate or conservative, we can all agree that the4 purposeful taking of innocent lives is just plain wrong.

peace :)

Amen!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:

:stupid:

This is a war that can't be "won" until civilization catches up with the combatants..... <sigh>

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Westy said:
Although still unresolved the only time things have been successful for either side is when they tried not killing each other. Exchanges of retaliation have done little to further either sides standing.
History has taught us that the only way for peoples of differing ideologies to get along is to simply get along. To respect one another's opinion and agree to disagree.

And once they've gotten to that point, don't talk about it anymore. :p

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
N8 said:
Stole??? You mean were 'given' by the Brits as a result of WWII. They captured the rest when they were attacked by their neighbors.
Given/stolen = semantics.

Ask any Palestinian - they'll let you know that the Israelis stole the land in '47. With the blessing of the West.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jdschall said:
Yeah for the most part what I've read in this thread has actually been pretty mature and thoughtful / thought provoking. I'm impressed.
That's because none of us are fundamentalists. Sadly, the vast majority of the human population are reasonable people - but the fundamentalists are the ones that cause the problems.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
"I think we just have to go on about our business," said Richard Bomar, a tourist from Louisville, Kentucky. "I'm just not afraid. I'm not going to let it affect me."

Taxi driver Steve Green said that despite the carnage, "people are getting on with it. It's marvelous that they're showing their backbone."

"The thing is, with us Londoners, we're used to the IRA. We don't know anything else. You don't like it, but you learn to deal with it."

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
This morning NPR reported that Scotland Yard arrested a hand full of people last year who were planning a similar attack.
well that's good news. it would be GREAT news if there were only a "hand full" of extremists out there. unfortunately, there's a lot more, and our policy machine seems to be conducive to their growth rate.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
ahhh didint they move on in to palestine after ww2 cause the west didint want them?

Another thing that has been gettin to me, why have the g8 meetings in populated areas? why not just have them in alaska or on a aircraft carrier or just dont tell anyone till its over?

who to point the finger at? Too many stupids ass white guys in suits.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
man this stuff is scary.

I've been watching all the past seasons of 24 on DVD. It's scary how close that show is to reality.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Our next major concern will be a modern and very well armed China...
Personally I'm more concerned about China having us by the economic balls. They will have no reason to use the military when all they need to do is "squeeze". The only saving grace is we too have them by the economic balls, a mexican standoff of sorts.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
pnj said:
this thing is up to eight pages now, so it may have been mentioned already....

but..

Just before the blasts, Scotland Yard called the security officer at the Israeli Embassy to say they had received warnings of possible attacks, the official said.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050707/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_britain_explosions_1

so they knew before hand, yet didn't let any of the people know?
how nice.....
:nuts:
OR not....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8495554/

Israel was not warned about possible terror attacks in London before a series of blasts ripped through the city, Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said Thursday.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
hey does anyone remember the episode of the simpsons where the fast forward to 2010 and see Lisa's future, any way she gets engaged to a British guy and homer takes him to moe's.

Moe: so.. your from England huh? we saved your asses in World war 2

British guy: yeah well we saved your asses in world war 3