Quantcast

F*** Diet Soda! (a rant)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so I just went down to the vending machines to get my afternoon caffeine kicker (don't give me sh*t - oh coffee blah blah, coffee is my morning drink). I get there and my jaw drops. Every single Button is for DIET soda (pop/what have you). ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! Why is such a big damn deal to drink diet vs regular? It dumbfounds me that people will drink that crap over the regular stuff just to save like 100 calories. What happened to exercising and being active to stay in shape? Why cut corners with your diet to compensate? If you're that lazy, you deserve to be fat. While I'm on the topic, I also despise the following:

-Sugar Substitutes (Splenda, Equal, Sweet'n'lo). Seriously gross. I used to work for the company that makes splenda. Not something I wanna put in my body.

-Margarine. Chemically, its closer to plastic than food products.

-Anything 'lite' Eff that.

Give me my extra calories. Give me my sugary drinks. Give me my fatty butter. Hell I don't even trim the fat off my steaks. Its f*cking delicious. I'll burn it all off on my bike or in the ocean.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
yeah my girlfriend and aunts drink diet soda's, it pisses me off when ever i go to get a soda and it says diet. diets horrible for you, damn fake sugar and stuff, i'd rather be fat than have my insides being eaten by some fake sugar.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My beef is that it always seems like they overdo those artificial sweeteners, obviously to compete with the fact that there's like half a cup of sugar dissolved in a non-diet soda. The chemical taste is bad enough, but some diet sodas end up tasting ultra-sweet.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I have the same crap at my school. The government decided to infinge on peoples rights, that can't do anything about it! Jaskasses.

So, now we dont buy pop from the machines and just bring regular with us to school and sell it for a profit. A 8.3 ounce redbull sells easly for $3....:busted:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I have the same crap at my school. The government decided to infinge on peoples rights, that can't do anything about it! Jaskasses.

So, now we dont buy pop from the machines and just bring regular with us to school and sell it for a profit. A 8.3 ounce redbull sells easly for $3....:busted:
You think the government dictates what drinks are in the machines???

Whack job. :crazy:

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
Diet Soda has aspartame in it...very very bad for you...its almost like methonal....go drink some meth instead of diet coke, lol

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
My sister still works for the company that produces it (I used to work there as well). They still have ongoing investigations as to whether or not its actually safe.
Wow!

Some people would call that responsible.

Until some facts come out, don't be spreading retarded rumors.

Plus, if you're not drinking water with a squeeze of fresh lemon in it, then you don't really have any ground to stand on as it's all crap.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I have the same crap at my school. The government decided to infringe on peoples rights, that can't do anything about it! Jackasses.

So, now we don't buy pop from the machines and just bring regular with us to school and sell it for a profit. A 8.3 ounce red bull sells easily for $3....:busted:

lol the government?...I hope you're kidding....no one is forcing you to buy it...D

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Diet Soda has aspartame in it...very very bad for you...its almost like methonal....go drink some meth instead of diet coke, lol
methanol isn't meth-amphetamine, and aspartame breaks down into methanol so it basically is methanol at some point.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
This man thinks that diet soda ought to be avoided because of the aspartame, if for no other reason, and he's pretty d-mn smart. Something about the breakdown products and excitotoxicity.

It's as if any type soda is not bad for you anyways though. That phosphoric acid...mmm mmm tasty

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
This man thinks that diet soda ought to be avoided because of the aspartame, if for no other reason, and he's pretty d-mn smart. Something about the breakdown products and excitotoxicity.
when heated, aspartame breaks down into methanol. keep it heated for long enough, you could turn your cup of coffee into paint thinner basically.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
when heated, aspartame breaks down into methanol. keep it heated for long enough, you could turn your cup of coffee into paint thinner basically.
?

In the presence of acid or base, yes. Physiologically, aspartame seems to mostly break down into methanol around about when it's hanging out in the small intestine. What happens from there (at least some of it is goes to methanal) is more or less up in the air. Is it good for you? Probably not. Can your body deal with it though? It might. No one knows for sure.

The excitotoxicity argument has to do with consumption of aspartame it dumping large amounts of aspartic acid into your bloodstream.