Quantcast

F*** Diet Soda! (a rant)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Some people would call that responsible.

Until some facts come out, don't be spreading retarded rumors.
Actually, there are plenty of facts out that indicate Splenda may not be particularly good for you. I've read all the FDA reports on Splenda, and those aren't even the ongoing studies - those are just the released studies when it was initially approved.

The theory is that they replace some of the hydroxyl groups with chlorine groups which are not broken down by our metabolic process. In practice, though, a small amount IS absorbed and further, of that small amount that is absorbed, some is retained and not removed from your body as waste. There are specific numbers in the FDA report if you want to look it up.

The fact of the matter is that we DON'T KNOW what long term exposure to these amounts of chlorocarbons in our diet will be, at least not in this widespread but quantitatively small amount. The effects of chlorocarbons in large amounts, though, is very unhealthy and quite frankly, I'd rather not be the guinea pig that finds out that Splenda in the long term is very bad for you, because it's very reasonable to think that it might be.

I'm not spreading hysteria, but it is perfectly healthy to say something like what jonkranked said. He's not spreading rumors, just suggesting that he wouldn't consume it because he thinks it's unhealthy - and he might be right.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I agree completely. Thank you.
Nice way to take it out of context. We don't know... but there is nothing about chlorocarbons that is good for you and there is plenty of reason to believe that consumption in the long term could be bad for you. What you're suggesting is that without ALL the evidence of a long term study and unless someone has bashed you over the head with the results, there is no reason to suggest it MIGHT be unsafe. Well, gee, I bet if you start dunking crackers in gasoline, it won't kill you very quickly. After all, you aren't drinking much of it, and nobody's done a long term study to suggest it might be unhealthy...

Stick your head in the sand if you want to. I'd rather learn a little about what goes into my body, though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My general rule of thumb is try to drink one 8oz glass of water for every non-water beverage I consume (including juices, excluding beer on the weekends... cuz that'd be a LOT of water). Helps keep yer kidneys clean and flushed out. EFF kidney stones. Stunt Matty will vouch that one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Who actually reads FDA reports?
a lot more people than you'd think. not by choice, but for work. When i was in pharmaceutical we lived and died by those things. The primary bulk of the work I did was testing to meet FDA regulations for packaging (and corresponding product safety).

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Meh....

Try this one: Annals of Oncology 15: 1460-1465, 2004

Artificial sweeteners—do they bear a carcinogenic risk?
M. R. Weihrauch* & V. Diehl
Department of Internal Medicine I of the University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany

Received 12 June 2003; accepted 6 January 2004
Abstract said:
Artificial sweeteners are added to a wide variety of food, drinks, drugs and hygiene products. Since their introduction, the mass media have reported about potential cancer risks, which has contributed to undermine the public’s sense of security. It can be assumed that every citizen of Western countries uses artificial sweeteners, knowingly or not. A cancer-inducing activity of one of these substances would mean a health risk to an entire population. We performed several PubMed searches of the National Library of Medicine for articles in English about artificial sweeteners. These articles included ‘first generation’ sweeteners such as saccharin, cyclamate and aspartame, as well as ‘new generation’ sweeteners such as acesulfame-K, sucralose, alitame and neotame. Epidemiological studies in humans did not find the bladder cancer-inducing effects of saccharin and cyclamate that had been reported from animal studies in rats. Despite some rather unscientific assumptions, there is no evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. Case–control studies showed an elevated relative risk of 1.3 for heavy artificial sweetener use (no specific substances specified) of >1.7 g/day. For new generation sweeteners, it is too early to establish any epidemiological evidence about possible carcinogenic risks. As many artificial sweeteners are combined in today’s products, the carcinogenic risk of a single substance is difficult to assess. However, according to the current literature, the possible risk of artificial sweeteners to induce cancer seems to be negligible.
Key words: aspartame, cancer, cyclamate, saccharin, sweeteners

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Wow!

Some people would call that responsible.

Until some facts come out, don't be spreading retarded rumors.

Plus, if you're not drinking water with a squeeze of fresh lemon in it, then you don't really have any ground to stand on as it's all crap.
I am with Opie on this one, but i do have a couple facts here for everyone. I recently dropped 75 lbs in A five month diet, and let me give some facts about diet and regular soda.

1st On my Diet, the Doctor would not allow me to have EITHER

2nd. The sugar found in most Soda/Pop/Coke what not is an Artificial suger, YES a CHEMICAL, not real sugar, therefore everyone ranting about aspartame,splenda or what not needs to realize that High Frucose corn syrup is a chemical sweetner and is bad for you just like aspartame.

3rd The rules for my Diet were simple, stay under 1700 calories a day, hit the gym three times a week for an hour, Absolutly NO Processed sugars IE High fructose corn syrups, that meant alot of sports drinks, supplement bars some vitamins, I had to read labels on everything

4th A Can of regular soda(not that this is has much to do witht he topic, but it is FACT)Contains 170 calories, not 100. Problem people have is that by the end of the day they might be having 6-10 Pops. Do the math, for somoene who wants that much pop, either thats all there having all day, or they are gonna get really fat fast

5th Hi fructose corn syrup is Much much harder to process in your body that sugar

6th Granulated sugar IS an ALL NATURAL PRODUCT, Sugar in the raw just still has some molasses in it.

7th So called experts, have always stated that any type of processed food it might be bad for you, not the exact statement, but when something comes out, an "Expert" somewhere along the lines says its bad for your body.

I do agree with alot of what others have said, really people a Pop is a treat not your main hydration, People should be drinking more water, more fruit juices, also people need to just get out and do something to stay active. ANyways tahts my peice, continue with rant

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Someone who worked for a medical device manufacturer :redface:

DirtyMike: uh, nobody is saying that all chemicals are bad for your body. This isn't any ol' random chemical. It's chlorine. You can drink high fructose corn syrup. Try drinking a cup of Chlorox. They are not the same thing, so don't compare them just because you want to label them both as "chemicals."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I do agree with alot of what others have said, really people a Pop is a treat not your main hydration, People should be drinking more water, more fruit juices, also people need to just get out and do something to stay active. ANyways tahts my peice, continue with rant
this was point in the first place! (i used to have roommates that would have pop with their cereal. i would throw up in my mouth)

and congrats on dropping the weight!

please note, 99% of the time when I am drinking some kind of soda/pop, it has alcohol in it too. :thumb:

edit: the 100 calories # was just an arbitrary number for an example.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Thanks, and i wasnt trying to slam or anything like that either, I think people have gone overboard witht he diet soda too, that was partly why i added the Doc wouldnt let me have Diet soda Either, I still drink soda now, but maybe one or two cans a week, Now that i have purged all the Processed sugars out, Natural Fruit juices actually give me a Hell of an Energy buzz, even Juices you need to be carefull with, alot of them are using the corn syrup to sweeten them now too, who can blame them its cheaper, and preserves for longer.. AnywaysDrink WATER, LOTS of CoFFee Very Important, And drink it strong like coffee was intended, Drink Pops as a Treat, not as a main staple, and of coarse, Get the hell off teh COmputer and go ride with me later!!!!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I recently dropped 75 lbs in A five month diet...
I agree with the rest of your post, but just wanted to say that's awesome! And a substantial amount for a short period of time.

The key to dieting is re-training one's brain. That ain't easy. Plus, as you mentioned, all the crap out there makes it difficult to eat well easily.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Goal is to drop another 20-25 starting in october again. Pretty much ate whatever i wanted this summer, too much going on to worry about what i was eating, and also did an absolute ton of riding this year, been at the gym three to four times a week also, been floating up and down about ten lbs or so, between 235 and 245. Made an Absolutely huge difference in riding also, Mtn i can mauvuer better, road i can go distustingly further and faster

Oh yeah, Thanks Bro

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
fwiw, I use this stuff, "True Lemon", it's a crystallized lemon juice that comes in little packets. We have the regular water cooler so I drink lemon water all day. Has actually helped lose a few pounds plus I get to pee alot which means out of the office alot!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
werd up. try swimming too, that's a great way to drop some weight, and get SUPER fit. also helps with riding.

I used to swim competitively and when I was in high school i was the same height I am now (6') and was about 150lbs instead of my current 200. My dr told me my body fat % was too low and he told me to eat more. Then he found out I was eating 5 full meals a day to stay at my weight. I had 2 daily practices, 1hr in the Am before school, then 3 hrs in the afternoon, for weekdays. Saturday was 4 hr practice and sunday was rest day. Totally nuts. but i was in great shape and ate literally whatever I wanted.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
werd up. try swimming too, that's a great way to drop some weight, and get SUPER fit. also helps with riding.

I used to swim competitively and when I was in high school i was the same height I am now (6') and was about 150lbs instead of my current 200. My dr told me my body fat % was too low and he told me to eat more. Then he found out I was eating 5 full meals a day to stay at my weight. I had 2 daily practices, 1hr in the Am before school, then 3 hrs in the afternoon, for weekdays. Saturday was 4 hr practice and sunday was rest day. Totally nuts. but i was in great shape and ate literally whatever I wanted.
Haha, sounds like running cross country or racing XC. Eat anything and everything!

As for the post, welcome to Southern California. Just wait until they start hitting you with the low-carb tofu wraps with organic bean sprout juice. You'll blow a gasket and move back to the good life of Yeungling beer and Richmond's buffalo wings in the ROC.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Miracle Whip Lite is actually pretty good.
I dont drink soda often at all, but when I do, its not diet. Id rather drink the puss from the sores of a dead bums asscrack than diet soda.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haha, sounds like running cross country or racing XC. Eat anything and everything!

As for the post, welcome to Southern California. Just wait until they start hitting you with the low-carb tofu wraps with organic bean sprout juice. You'll blow a gasket and move back to the good life of Yeungling beer and Richmond's buffalo wings in the ROC.
mmmm richmonds wings! i actually found a bar down the street that is sorta comparable to richmonds... in a way. its pretty divey and they have awesome wings. and i'm dying without Yuengling. I grew up on that sh*t.

FTR: i don't mind organic food; actually i prefer it. My dad is a total country boy and we had a huge garden growing up, so when we had salad w/ dinner, i'd have to go outside and pick it. Fresh veggies FTW.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
so I just went down to the vending machines to get my afternoon caffeine kicker (don't give me sh*t - oh coffee blah blah, coffee is my morning drink). I get there and my jaw drops. Every single Button is for DIET soda (pop/what have you). ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! Why is such a big damn deal to drink diet vs regular? It dumbfounds me that people will drink that crap over the regular stuff just to save like 100 calories. What happened to exercising and being active to stay in shape? Why cut corners with your diet to compensate? If you're that lazy, you deserve to be fat. While I'm on the topic, I also despise the following:

-Sugar Substitutes (Splenda, Equal, Sweet'n'lo). Seriously gross. I used to work for the company that makes splenda. Not something I wanna put in my body.

-Margarine. Chemically, its closer to plastic than food products.

-Anything 'lite' Eff that.

Give me my extra calories. Give me my sugary drinks. Give me my fatty butter. Hell I don't even trim the fat off my steaks. Its f*cking delicious. I'll burn it all off on my bike or in the ocean.
Here is your answer.
100 cal/day = 10 lbs/year (Source: Mindless Eating)

I don't really drink much soda but if I do it's Diet Coke. I don't notice much difference in taste compared to regualr Coke, and if I did I'd probably drink something like unsweetened iced tea instead.

You neglect to take into account people like me who already have well below 10% body fat but intend to stay lean. It's kind of like lightening up your bike, one Ti bolt doesn't seem like much but when you apply that mentality across the board you end with a noticable effect.

With that said, I eat real butter, cheese and meat (animal fat) in limited quantities. I will eat most anything as long as it's natural or very close to it. Of course I make some exceptions like the ocassional Diet Coke. I love to exercise but I still like to be aware of what I eat, both in terms of quality and quantity.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
yeah my girlfriend and aunts drink diet soda's, it pisses me off when ever i go to get a soda and it says diet. diets horrible for you, damn fake sugar and stuff, i'd rather be fat than have my insides being eaten by some fake sugar.
25+ grams of refined sugar or HFCS will do worse things to your body than .6 grams of artificial sweetener. That much sugar (especially when combined with caffeine) will spike your blood sugar level only to make them drop off dramatically shortly thereafter. The chemical in Splenda is approximately 30 times sweeter than sugar, and that's how come Diet beverages have virtually zero calories. They need only less than 1 gram of sweetener to match the taste of a regualr soft drink. You would have to drink massive quantities of diet soda to cause yourself harm from the miniscule amount of artificial sweeteners they contain.

If you're truly worried about gut rot, you should skip soda all together, the carbonation found in all soda--diet or regular--is way more likely to damage your stomach than any type of sweetener.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You neglect to take into account people like me who already have well below 10% body fat but intend to stay lean. It's kind of like lightening up your bike, one Ti bolt doesn't seem like much but when you apply that mentality across the board you end with a noticable effect.
I'm staying plenty lean and I don't have to eat/drink all that diet crap. And if you're using Ti bolts to save a few grams on your bike, you're probably jacking off to it on a scale more than you're actually riding it.

The point is the same, if you really care that much, then its an obsession for the sake of being able to talk/brag about numbers. IDK about you, but I can't tell the difference between a 44lb dh bike and a 45lb dh bike, so IMO why waste the time/energy/money? All I care about is that I'm riding and how much fun I'm having. Same with food, all I care is that I'm eating, and its tasty.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
:twitch::twitch:

Have your tastebuds been burned off with a blowtorch at some point in your life? :confused:
You know what's funny about it is that when I was a kid I could not stand Diet sodas. They gave me headache. I didn't have one for probably 20 years, until about 6 months ago. I had a Diet Coke and it was fine. Ever since I've had maybe one every other week or so. I don't drink many beverages other than water, tea and red wine but I'm not tripping on a diet soda here and there.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'm staying plenty lean and I don't have to eat/drink all that diet crap. And if you're using Ti bolts to save a few grams on your bike, you're probably jacking off to it on a scale more than you're actually riding it.

The point is the same, if you really care that much, then its an obsession for the sake of being able to talk/brag about numbers. IDK about you, but I can't tell the difference between a 44lb dh bike and a 45lb dh bike, so IMO why waste the time/energy/money? All I care about is that I'm riding and how much fun I'm having. Same with food, all I care is that I'm eating, and its tasty.
I jack off to my bike daily and I never ride it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You know what's funny about it is that when I was a kid I could not stand Diet sodas. They gave me headache. I didn't have one for probably 20 years, until about 6 months ago. I had a Diet Coke and it was fine. Ever since I've had maybe one every other week or so. I don't drink many beverages other than water, tea and red wine but I'm not tripping on a diet soda here and there.
You should do a side-by-side of Diet Coke and regular. If you can't tell a difference you should consider seeing a doctor. :D