Quantcast

F*** Diet Soda! (a rant)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Meh....

Try this one: Annals of Oncology 15: 1460-1465, 2004

Artificial sweeteners—do they bear a carcinogenic risk?
M. R. Weihrauch* & V. Diehl
Department of Internal Medicine I of the University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany

Received 12 June 2003; accepted 6 January 2004
thank you for posting more than hype and speculation. :clapping:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the main point is, if you eat healthily enough and exercise enough, you shouldn't have to cut corners with diet stuff. If you do have to use diet stuff, eat healthier and exercise more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the main point is, if you eat healthily enough and exercise enough, you shouldn't have to cut corners with diet stuff. If you do have to use diet stuff, eat healthier and exercise more.
the calories in regular soda are useless, tho. besides you soda taste snobs (kinda like being a poop texture snob, imo) there's no real argument for non-diet sodas.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
the calories in regular soda are useless, tho. besides you soda taste snobs (kinda like being a poop texture snob, imo) there's no real argument for non-diet sodas.
If hating the taste of diet soda makes me a "taste snob" then I guess that's what i am. I guess Im also a water snob since I dont drink urine.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Diet soda is one of those products that was created first, then they had to engineer a problem for it to solve.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
thank you for posting more than hype and speculation. :clapping:
Sorry, what now? The subject in question is sucralose. The subject of that paper is aspertame. The abstract even states:

For new generation sweeteners, it is too early to establish any epidemiological evidence about possible carcinogenic risks.
So, no, it's not hype or speculation, but it's also not relevant.

Here, you want some data on sucralose?
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/fr980403.html

b. Sucralose metabolism. The majority of ingested sucralose is
excreted unchanged in the feces and most of what is absorbed appears
unchanged in the urine, with only minor amounts appearing as
metabolites (Refs. 3, 4, and 5). Mice (El46) and rats (El37) were found
to metabolize less than 10 percent of the absorbed sucralose, while
rabbits (El24) (20 to 30 percent), humans (El38 and E145) (20 to 30
percent), and dogs (El33) (30 to 40 percent) metabolize greater
quantities of the absorbed sucralose.
I'm not saying it's definitely a bad thing, I'm just suggesting that caution isn't such an irrational idea, since some of it definitely is metabolized and absorbed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sorry, what now? The subject in question is sucralose. The subject of that paper is aspertame. The abstract even states:

So, no, it's not hype or speculation, but it's also not relevant.

Here, you want some data on sucralose?
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/fr980403.html

I'm not saying it's definitely a bad thing, I'm just suggesting that caution isn't such an irrational idea, since some of it definitely is metabolized and absorbed.
Grice HC, Goldsmith LA. Sucralose--an overview of the toxicity data. Food Chem Toxicol. 2000;38 Suppl 2:S1-6.

full pdf via yousendit link:

http://download.yousendit.com/819A1559393BE752

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Too much Cisco stuff now, I'll read it later or tomorrow, but thanks for the PDF.

EIGRP networks! K values! DUAL! SRTT/RTO! Topology tables! Feasible and advertised distances! Address summarizations! Successors! My brain is full :(

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
If you actually must drink diet 'soda' as you seppos call it then I find it helpful to circumvent the taste issue by mixing it with moderate amounts of fermented sugar cane.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you actually must drink diet 'soda' as you seppos call it then I find it helpful to circumvent the taste issue by mixing it with moderate amounts of fermented sugar cane.
watch the insults there buddy. at least we aren't known for poor oral hygiene despite all the 'soda' (yes i assumed you are english DUN DUN DUN)

1. Seppo: Derogertory word used by the English and Australians for all American nationals. Derived from Rhyming slang (Septic Tank = Yank)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=seppo

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Any chemical that comes with an MSDS should not go into food as far as I'm concerned. Ever.
Does Aspertane and/or Splenda??

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I didn't read the whole thread, but I have to say I actually prefer diet depending on the soda.

Diet Mt Dew isn't as syrupy tasting to me. Same goes for Diet Vault, but I can't seem to find that much these days.

Diet Pepsi MAX is also rather good, and Coke Zero isn't bad either.

Regular Diet Coke is nasty, as is Diet Pepsi. But blend 1/2 Diet Cherry Pepsi with 1/2 regular Pepsi and it's very tasty.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I didn't read the whole thread, but I have to say I actually prefer diet depending on the soda.

Diet Mt Dew isn't as syrupy tasting to me. Same goes for Diet Vault, but I can't seem to find that much these days.

Diet Pepsi MAX is also rather good, and Coke Zero isn't bad either.

Regular Diet Coke is nasty, as is Diet Pepsi. But blend 1/2 Diet Cherry Pepsi with 1/2 regular Pepsi and it's very tasty.
I guess you also like diet bacon and diet steak too.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I can't even drink non-diet sodas. The sugar actually makes my stomach hurt.
This^^

I don't usually drink soda period, but when I do, it's usually diet. Because IMO it tastes better. But we're talking a few times a year here, so I probably shouldn't even be posting in this thread.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I usually have a hard time taking anything on that website seriously, but I checked out the related links and this is ridiculous. I don't have as much of a problem with putting those chemicals in the milk, but to do so without informing the consumer about it on the label is just wrong. Apparently the current definition of 'milk' means no artificial sweeteners, and they are trying to redefine it to include them.

I've switched to drinking almond milk almost exclusively.
Same here. Recently my girlfriend even started making it herself on occasion, then we know exactly what is in it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I hadn't seen how easy it was until that, but I go through a gallon of milk every 4/5 days so converting that to almonds wouldn't be cheap...