Quantcast

F-ing Schwalbe

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Goddamn cannot get this tire to set, with a Blackburn chamber pump (air tank), soapy water (like a river of), pulling the bead around, inserting the sealant, I've spent over an hour trying to get the damn thing to set and it won't. Seems like it's just too stiff. It wasn't overly hard to get over the rim even, but WTF? Every time I say "I'll never buy schwalbe again" I get into a jam and fucking regret it. Race this weekend in AZ and the front tire I had, which is not tubeless, isn't reliable enough for the race, trying to get everything ready and just went with what my favorite LBS had. The only hope is letting it stretch overnight with a tube in it, but seriously, it's not like I woke up this morning and all of a sudden decided to start trying tubeless. Setting fat-tires is supposed to be way harder than this and I can do that no problem.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
27.5/29 is the devils playground......have you sold your soul to satan lately?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It’s the same goddamn tire I’m running in the rear, there is no physical explanation for this. There must be some new lizardry product right around the corner to set tubless tires.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
have you tried:
1. inflate with a tube
2. deflate
3. take tube out leaving one bead properly set
4. remove valve core
5. hit it with a compressor till both beads are set
6. open only a small enough amount of bead to pour in sealant
7. reinstall the valve core
8. reinflate

I don't know if I suck at installing tubeless, but that's been the only way I've been able to mount the majority of my tires. It sucks caus' it takes so long, but I find if I don't skip any of the steps and go straight to this technique, it's not that bad. I also think many tires have a hard time inflating on Spank rims, which is what gave me most of my grief. I'm back to running Stans this season, so we'll see how that goes.

Also, are you sure it's not the valve stem that's leaking at the base? Again, another potential source of failure I discovered with my Spank rims...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
have you tried:
1. inflate with a tube
2. deflate
4. remove valve core
8. reinflate

I don't know if I suck at installing tubeless, but that's been the only way I've been able to mount the majority of my tires. It sucks caus' it takes so long, but I find if I don't skip any of the steps and go straight to this technique, it's not that bad. I also think many tires have a hard time inflating on Spank rims, which is what gave me most of my grief. I'm back to running Stans this season, so we'll see how that goes.

Also, are you sure it's not the valve stem that's leaking at the base? Again, another potential source of failure I discovered with my Spank rims...
Instead of breaking the bead again to pour in the sealant, get one of the Stans injectors so you can squirt it through the valve stem with both beads still seated.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Instead of breaking the bead again to pour in the sealant, get one of the Stans injectors so you can squirt it through the valve stem with both beads still seated.
Yeah, I've thought of that. I could also get a big ass syringe at the phamacy for a buck fiddy... I have one for bleeding my brakes and another for fork servicing. I may get a couple more for other purposes, turns out they're very handy.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
have you tried:
1. inflate with a tube
2. deflate
4. remove valve core
8. reinflate

That's generally how I do it when I'm using new tape (except pour the sealant in through the valve), leaving it overnight to press the tape against the rim at the same time, but I got the compressor-style pump so I wouldn't have to do that all the time, and so far with every other tire, including huge fat ones, that has been the case. The schwalbe casing is so stiff that the the air won't expand it when it "blows" in there, which seems to be the main issue. If it did, then it would naturally start to seal the edges better and then get into that self-sealing cycle where more air seals it better and then bam, the beads set.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
An old stans bottle works perfect for this, plus it measures out my amount of sealant. No need to buy a "special tool".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Have you tried adding more tape to increase the diameter of the rim bed? You can't make the tire smaller, so make the rim bigger.
It's not loose, the stiff casing was the problem.

Anyway, I got it meow, after having left it overnight and all day pumped up to 50 psi with a tube.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It's not loose, the stiff casing was the problem.

Anyway, I got it meow, after having left it overnight and all day pumped up to 50 psi with a tube.
Yup.

I generally run a new tire for a ride or two with a tube in it before I even bother trying to mount it tubeless.