Quantcast

Facebook etiquette...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
So - every now and then someone requests me as a friend. When is it ok to say no? Is it poor form to just ignore someone you really weren't friends with anyway? I feel like I'm just staring in the lunch room instead of saying hi. Anyone else notice this?

Funny story - a guy from VA or some place of the sort added me as a friend and I said ok, thinking he was someone from Ridemonkey that just adds people. Turns out he thought we knew one another. Regardless - his page is humorous from time to time. Mine, well, I never update it, so it doesn't matter.

Should I stick with the "if I didn't like you then, I won't like you now" attitude?

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Say no, I have had a kid on myspace named Pots that has wanted to be my friend for a year, he must have requested me 30 times every-time I say no. I don't want to be associated with a 10 year old that smokes pot. But if you are that yes kind of guy, you never know what interesting things you may find out of adding these people.

Simplified: Dont add him

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Don't feel bad. When you ignore the request, it doesn't send them a notification. They won't be offended.
I regret accepting requests from some old acquaintances.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MBC has a former friend that tried to befriend her three times. When MBC kept ignoring her, she tried to befriend me. Complete friggin psycho lunatic, man. We have absolutely NO desire to become friends with her again.

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
just go with the tried and true add/drop. it does notify them when you add them, so then they can look at your crap and such, and then just drop them after a week, and they probably wont notice if theyre the type to add a million friends they dont really know.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
just go with the tried and true add/drop. it does notify them when you add them, so then they can look at your crap and such, and then just drop them after a week, and they probably wont notice if theyre the type to add a million friends they dont really know.
Good advice.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I look for old ladies too. I found a very missed poster from here when facebook searched my email contacts. I added her as a friend. It made me realize I should just email her from time to time to check in. I think I'll just not add people I don't talk to, or care to anyway.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Should I stick with the "if I didn't like you then, I won't like you now" attitude?
IMO - If I didn't talk to them 20yrs ago in high school... why the F would I talk to them now.

The other one I get is people I have never met, but are freinds of a freind... WTF, I have never met you - piss off!

i just realized there's an RM facebook group.

joined!
That's redundant... you're using an online social network to connect with people you only know because of an online social network.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I share the same feelings above.

I don't understand people with more than 500 'friends'.

I deny loads that come in.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
That's redundant... you're using an online social network to connect with people you only know because of an online social network.
Yes and no - I see your point, but there are some that just can't post here anymore, but you could keep up with them. It might let you see a little more about them. Most of us have more substance than you might think from our Ridemonkey musings. I have met several people through RM that I like to see what's up. That said, I'm not even sure if I know about the RM facebook group. I may be a member. Who knows???

But yeah - the only thing would be to see if someone seems different 2 decades later. Most don't. There are some that I will NEVER befriend. There is no way genetics made them that douchy back then and genuine now.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Now I'm going to befriend Chrissie Pinney and see if she'll give her race kit back. I'm also going to be sanjuro's friend so I can talk to him about delis. I see this as a new outlet to the world. :D

just kidding - I don't know you f*cking people, so I don't want to be friends.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
IMO - If I didn't talk to them 20yrs ago in high school... why the F would I talk to them now.
I never really "got" the Facebook thing. After reading this thread (among many others) I created an account to see what it was about.

I punched in my High School and got 500+ matches. All I saw was people that I had never heard of, or people that I would be just fine with never seeing again.

I must be anti-social, but I deleted my account 15 minutes after it was created.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I never really "got" the Facebook thing. After reading this thread (among many others) I created an account to see what it was about.

I punched in my High School and got 500+ matches. All I saw was people that I had never heard of, or people that I would be just fine with never seeing again.

I must be anti-social, but I deleted my account 15 minutes after it was created.
Dummy. You can have been in the Ridemonkey cool kids club.