Quantcast

fake news thread

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
To think I enjoyed his first couple of movies.
Makes the rest of us martial arts guys hang head in shame.
This guy may have some chops, but what a fucking douche.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
To think I enjoyed his first couple of movies.
Makes the rest of us martial arts guys hang head in shame.
This guy may have some chops, but what a fucking douche.
You realise hes a total fraud right? People are wondering if hes not a mail order blackbelt...

Plus hes an Aikido guy. That would be like having a black belt in calipso dancing anyway as far as actual effective martial arts is concerned.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You realise hes a total fraud right? People are wondering if hes not a mail order blackbelt...

Plus hes an Aikido guy. That would be like having a black belt in calipso dancing anyway as far as actual effective martial arts is concerned.
His legitimacy has come under question a couple of times, but is legit from what I heard thru the grapevine many many moons ago. One of those friend of a friend knew of him in Japan.
From what I remember he did most of his training in Japan - Aikido, Karate, and something else that escapes me at the moment.. He was accredited there, taught, and owned dojo's.
Aikido, is effective, but like any discipline, there must be harmony between style and student.
Like anything else, one size doe not fit all.

Still a major douche anyway you cut it.:rofl:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
From what Ive heard and read (joe rogan podcasts etc) the jury is still out on wether hes for real or not but i guess it depends on who you ask.

And i absolutely dont think aikido is effective in any situation then in an aikido dojo.
Its the only martial art where there is no sparring or any way to test your skills in aikido, only what "we" in jiu jitsu call "duo games".
Where two people do a choreographed attack/defense situation.
Theres also numerous stories from people that have tried there aikido skills in real life street situations where they found out non of it is viable when an attacker has his own will and doesnt work with you.

I used to train Jiu Jitsu, BJJ and kickboxing for about 9 years but thats a long time ago, but put me in a ring with anyone who is an aikido only practisioner and i wouldnt mind rolling with them...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
His legitimacy has come under question a couple of times, but is legit from what I heard thru the grapevine many many moons ago. One of those friend of a friend knew of him in Japan.
From what I remember he did most of his training in Japan - Aikido, Karate, and something else that escapes me at the moment.. He was accredited there, taught, and owned dojo's.
Aikido, is effective, but like any discipline, there must be harmony between style and student.
Like anything else, one size doe not fit all.

Still a major douche anyway you cut it.:rofl:
yea but from the looks of things nowadays the only technique he's a master of is doughnutso

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
From what Ive heard and read (joe rogan podcasts etc) the jury is still out on wether hes for real or not but i guess it depends on who you ask.

And i absolutely dont think aikido is effective in any situation then in an aikido dojo.
Its the only martial art where there is no sparring or any way to test your skills in aikido, only what "we" in jiu jitsu call "duo games".
Where two people do a choreographed attack/defense situation.
Theres also numerous stories from people that have tried there aikido skills in real life street situations where they found out non of it is viable when an attacker has his own will and doesnt work with you.

I used to train Jiu Jitsu, BJJ and kickboxing for about 9 years but thats a long time ago, but put me in a ring with anyone who is an aikido only practisioner and i wouldnt mind rolling with them...

Cross-training in disciplines does seriously fill holes - many you are not aware off until it is too late.
My background is in Karate, a Shorin-ryu derivative, so at a distance battling it out, I'm good. Where I suffer is in close, or heaven forbid on the ground. Hapkido has always been of interest for that reason.

One thing I do detest is tournament point fighting.
Have had a couple of friends, who were so ingrained in pulling power, that when the shit went down, it was not pretty. One ended up getting his ass handed to him, the other broke the conditioning and fucked the guys up.

It has been 10 years since I stepped into a Dojo. If I try to do anything now, well it is not pretty. Now with the TBI, DH is all the risk I allow myself pumpin wise. Strangely however if one of my friends fucks around the reflexes and technique come outta nowhere. Muscle memory from 10's of thousands of reps does seem to stick. So far I have been able to pull before contact, and they rarely do it, I think the fuckers are randomly testing me....

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Not going to get into this too deeply...there are other forums on the interweb for such things. But...

I was an aikidoist for a few years...deep enough in it to know and train with a few who knew Seagal on a personal basis. They all say he is a major douche. A delusional, self promoting prevaricator and bully who is completely off the mark regarding the true heart of Aikido and its purpose. He doesn't follow Ueshiba (O Sensei) who preached the soft style, but practices a harder style that is often counter to Ueshibas teachings. I like aikido, but completely agree with those who feel that training in other styles/disciplines is necessary (Aiki-jitsu comes to mind...).

Its kind of like bikes...the more you have, the more often you ride, the better...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Oh, then you should look up how he likes to play "sheriff"....
Who is the better cop, him or Shaq? :rofl:

The only martial art I trained was Arnis in a little ghetto studio in Beaverton I found by calling around asking who taught it. Al was one of the coolest guys I ever met and he was pretty bad ass. He is the typical bad ass who never talked about how bad ass he was. Unlike that fat blob of a douche.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you are in any way a martial artist, you KNOW who Al Dacascos is.
Respect.
I seriously had no idea who he was, but he taught sticks and I wanted to learn. He had a ghetto studio just outside of Portland, but in the waiting room he had like 50 framed mag covers from Black Belt and others. One day I noticed it was all him, every one of those damn covers was him. Then I dug into who he was and was blown away. You wouldn't know it if you met him, he is humble and very laid back. He never name dropped, but he would tell awesome stories if you bugged him about it.

I spent just over 2 years with him doing stick and knife with a little thai boxing for fun. He studied with Dan Inosanto for sticks (you can't beat that) and he taught me so damn much in so little time. Then he closed the studio and moved to Hawaii.

/coolstorybro

<edit> I had to go back and look. The last year I trained with him (1998), he was on Wesley Snipes special "Masters of Martial Arts" honoring the top 25 martial artists of all time. And hated it. :rofl:

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I think I have told this before...but...

Back when I was an AF Cop one of my patrols got a call to respond to a report of a man kicking a tree. Kicking a tree? I said this oughta be interesting, and I was in the area, so I responded. Beat the patrol to the area, and sure enough, there is a dude kicking a tree...snap kicking it and catching his shin straight on. I am thinking either 5150 or a martial artist. He sees me and waves, I park and step out and walk on over, paying close attention to my stance and his actions. He says hi, I say hi...what going on? "Oh, I am just trying to callous up my shins, going to start fighting again..." Turns out he was new on base and was a hard core long time martial artist...studied just about everything under the sun. Also trained with Inosanto down in LA. We became pretty good friends, he used to come over and we would grapple in the yard. Had a neighbor call the Cops on us one night. My own guys responded, apparently the neighbor said it sounded like a couple of moose fighting during the rut. He used to have me choke him out, almost all the way out, just so he could get the feel of the edge of losing consciousness. Crazy dude, Marshall was/is...

Yeahyeahyeah @coolstorybro...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It has been 10 years since I stepped into a Dojo. If I try to do anything now, well it is not pretty. Now with the TBI, DH is all the risk I allow myself pumpin wise. Strangely however if one of my friends fucks around the reflexes and technique come outta nowhere. Muscle memory from 10's of thousands of reps does seem to stick.
I did Karate (Tang Soo Do) for three years in the 80's. Although I remember very little of it, some of those moves do seem to "come outta nowhere". And after more than 25 years as a metalsmith/jewelry designer and mountain biker, my reflexes are silly quick. When at the bench making tiny jewelry parts out of precious metals there is a mantra of; "it doesn't hit the floor". Which has given me thousands of reps of snatching parts out of the air. If I have to think about it then, I can't move as quick. But if I just react it's kind of like watching myself do something as if I'm somehow removed from the moment.

Last week while out digging with another gnome, I almost stepped on a large black snake. All I remember is jumping out of the way. Don't quite remember actually seeing it. My friend said the snake took a strike at me but missed. When I turned and looked back it was coiled with mouth open.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last week while out digging with another gnome, I almost stepped on a large black snake. All I remember is jumping out of the way. Don't quite remember actually seeing it. My friend said the snake took a strike at me but missed. When I turned and looked back it was coiled with mouth open.

Bruce lee would have caught it around the neck and given it a disapproving glare.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Bruce lee would have caught it around the neck and given it a disapproving glare.
Like @rideit said, there are some things you just shouldn't snatch. Snakes being one of them.

Also, I know it sounds like I'm bragging about reflexes, but I'm not. If I'm not on my bike or at the bench I'm really quite clumsy. Navigating a room with furniture proves to be challenging. I walk into walls, corners and can trip over my own shadow. I couldn't pass a physical sobriety test and I haven't drank in more than 8 years. Walk a straight line, ha.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You dont know reflexes until you notice your son starting to pee as you change his diaper and like a cat you snatch up your (ex) wife and throw her into the flow before it reaches full force...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
The reflex thing is real. I'm not the most graceful, but my wife is amazed at what I can snatch out of mid-air before it hits the floor. It has to be reflex though, if my mind gets in the way, shit hits the floor. Still kind of freaks me out, but it looks like it is falling in slow motion, so it is easy to just reach out and grab.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The reflex thing is real. I'm not the most graceful, but my wife is amazed at what I can snatch out of mid-air before it hits the floor. It has to be reflex though, if my mind gets in the way, shit hits the floor. Still kind of freaks me out, but it looks like it is falling in slow motion, so it is easy to just reach out and grab.
A buddy I used to train with was heavily into ninjitsu, and he taught me the value of relaxing vs. tensing up. It is amazing what you can do when you are relaxed and simply going with the flow...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
A buddy I used to train with was heavily into ninjitsu, and he taught me the value of relaxing vs. tensing up. It is amazing what you can do when you are relaxed and simply going with the flow...
When another rider complains about being scared to let it go on downhills, the first thing I ask them is how hard do they hold the bar. All of them use some sort of bar bending, Kung-Fu, death grip and are surprised when I show them how loose it should be.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I remember back in the dark ages of my youth studying Judo under Ron Michelson in Santa Monica. I was ok at it but I was constantly getting my ass kicked by the bullies and gang bangers on the streets so my dad hooked me up with Earl Nisimoto at his Dojo in Venice Beach. Earl was around 5' tall he taught a version of Thai boxing / Okinawa Te. After a few months he had me fight his top student to see what I could do. Before we started he looked in my direction and said "no hitting in the Face" we were wearing gloves but no head gear. in the second round i was holding my own and got tagged in the face, Earl did nothing. we kept fighting and i got tagged again and again Earl did nothing. I was pissed and i made up my mind that if I got tagged a third time in the face I was going to lay the sucker out with a head shot. He did and i did. i found myself on my back pinned by Earl before i knew what was happening. He said what did I tell you/ me; no hitting in the face. Earl" and / he hit me three times in the face and you did nothing. Earl; I told "you" no hitting in the face. I knew I was screwed. Earl laced up his gloves and said for diobeying you will go 3 rounds with me. i got the shit beat out of me with my own hands. i could get my fists in the way to block only to have them powerfully driven into my head. I was seeing stars. I learned how to fight in his dojo. I never got my ass beat on the streets after a year with him