Quantcast

Fall clothing

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Screw knickers.
Get yourself a pair of wool Defeet Kneekers, a pair of Defeet shoecovers, a sleeveless midweight craft baselayer, a pair of wool Sockguy arm warmers and a mid weight vest. That will keep you warm and comfortable down into the mid to low 40 degree range, cost less and be far more versatile.

Pick up a few pair of Defeet Woolie Boolie socks while you're at it.

All you really need to get through a full-on NYC winter after all of that stuff is a nice thermal jacket (Giordana ones are bombproof) a few pairs of warm gloves, some roubaix fleece leg warmers and some proper thermal booties. Leg warmers are nice for every condition of course, but you don't really need a jacket until you get into the thirties.
Not a fan on the knee/leg warmers, mine always bunch up. I much prefer the full length bibs with the straps that go under the heel.

Also thats a lot of freakin wool. I'd smell like the underarm of a goat after riding in that for 2 hours.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Not a fan on the knee/leg warmers, mine always bunch up. I much prefer the full length bibs with the straps that go under the heel.

Also thats a lot of freakin wool. I'd smell like the underarm of a goat after riding in that for 2 hours.
You haven't ridden modern wool then. One of the key reasons to use wool is that it doesn't smell, especially after repeated wearings. If you knee warmers bunch it, it's because you aren't using Kneekers by DeFeet.
Buy a set and if you don't like them I'll personally refund your money. They are that good!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
You haven't ridden modern wool then. One of the key reasons to use wool is that it doesn't smell, especially after repeated wearings. If you knee warmers bunch it, it's because you aren't using Kneekers by DeFeet.
Buy a set and if you don't like them I'll personally refund your money. They are that good!
Could be... my last wool jersey was in 1998. Still have a Bontrager wool cold weather "cycling sweater thin"g from the late 90s as well. Still use it when it's crazy cold. But I'm sticking to bib tights when my legs are cold. It's not just the slipping, I don't find them comfortable... same with arm warmers, but they are a necessary evil to make shedding layers easier.