Quantcast

Fantasy vs. Reality

dickiesbike1

Monkey
Jun 17, 2002
NC
Hey guys! Im a youngin here on ridemonkey, so im still in high school. For my 1st semester paper for honors world history, I have to to write an opinionated paper defending which side I would take on the arguement of Fantasy Vs. Reality. Ive noticed that in these forums that there are some intelligent people on what you guys think on this issue. I myself choose fantasy on the fact that bad stuff wouldnt be able to happen and that nothing could go wrong. Lets here what you think!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by dickiesbike1
I myself choose fantasy on the fact that bad stuff wouldnt be able to happen and that nothing could go wrong. Lets here what you think!
Depends. If the fantasy realm is one shared by everyone, but a place where each person's unique fantasy would come true then I think it would be a lot like reality. Picture this: Say your fantasy is to get a Hershey's chocolate syrup bath with gorgeous blonde- haired, blue-eyed triplets all wearing sombreros. You're kicking back enjoying your fantasy when all of a sudden some trigger happy psycho starts shooting the hell out of everything and everyone. Why? Because that's his fantasy.

Ok, so the part about the triplets isn't very realistic, but my point is that people are people and no matter where you put them somebody is going to screw it all up.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by BikeGeek
Ok, so the part about the triplets isn't very realistic, but my point is that people are people and no matter where you put them somebody is going to screw it all up.
Triplets might be a little far fetched but how about... twins??? Now we're a little closer to reality. :p

flycykel

Chimp
Dec 5, 2002
Long Island, NY
Fantasy works because it is just that.
It's your script - you're the director - you have picked
a pretend cast (they all march to your script - and ya didn't even have to show them the script) - - get the picture?

Reality - NO ONE is really in control of ANYTHING - there are WAY TOO MANY varaibles for one to "have a handle on". Science, physics and psychology account for most of what goes right/your way - - but not all of it. If it were ALL explainable - it could be infinitly repeatable = BORING after a while. Because it's not, that's what makes life so intersting, frustrating, (add every word here with an emotional connotation). . .

Keep in mind one's fantasy is another's nightmare. . .

Happy data gathering. . .

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by flycykel
Fantasy works because it is just that.
It's your script - you're the director - you have picked
a pretend cast (they all march to your script - and ya didn't even have to show them the script) - - get the picture?

Reality - NO ONE is really in control of ANYTHING - there are WAY TOO MANY varaibles for one to "have a handle on". Science, physics and psychology account for most of what goes right/your way - - but not all of it. If it were ALL explainable - it could be infinitly repeatable = BORING after a while. Because it's not, that's what makes life so intersting, frustrating, (add every word here with an emotional connotation). . .

Keep in mind one's fantasy is another's nightmare. . .

Happy data gathering. . .
And without reality, there would be no need to fantasize. And, without fantasizing, we would never make our reality better. Or some mumbo jumbo like that.
Or, better yet:
You fantasize to make your reality better, if only for a lil bit. Without that fantasy, twins or whatever, you don't strive to make your reality closer to your fantasy. Like asking the twins out. Your fantasy has now come into play as a possible reality.
Or some mumbo jumbo like that.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by BikeGeek

Speak for yourself!!
Now the sombrero's on the other hand..... ;)

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
Why would you make the assumption that a fantasy would be benign? One could conjure some terrible fantasies...

J
Are you talking to me? Okay, I'll answer like you are. I assumed it would be benign (for the most part) because it was based on me. I beleive everything I said was anecdotal. I think that's the inherent flaw in that kind of argument???:eek: