Quantcast

Fasting?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
So, I have been entertaining the idea of fasting for a while.

Any of you monkies fasted?

What are some things I should know/do?

My plan is to start with jucies first, the ease into water fasting............

Edit- This isn't religious at all.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
chicodude01 said:
Any of you monkies fasted?
No.

What are some things I should know/do?
It's a terrible idea. Really, what is the point? Weight loss? Any weight you lose from a fast will be gained right back once you start eating again, and chances are you'll gain a few extra pounds because your body will crave food so badly. Not to mention, NOT eating is TERRIBLE for your body.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Snacks said:
Interesting how? I'm curious how your body reacted.
The first two days were the worst with hunger pains, etc. They go away after a while. I got really bad headaches by the end of the third day.

I did it for this hippy I was dating in college. :rolleyes: She wanted to go do the whole soul purification thing, so we fasted. To fill the time and distract ourselves we meditated and did "other things." The key for me was to drink a lot of water to trick my mind into thinking I was full.

I probably don't have to say it's one of the dumbest things I've ever done for a girl.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
BikeGeek said:
I probably don't have to say it's one of the dumbest things I've ever done for a girl.

That would make a great thread! "Dumbest thing you've done for a girl/guy".
LOL

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BikeGeek said:
The first two days were the worst with hunger pains, etc. They go away after a while. I got really bad headaches by the end of the third day.

I did it for this hippy I was dating in college. :rolleyes: She wanted to go do the whole soul purification thing, so we fasted. To fill the time and distract ourselves we meditated and did "other things." The key for me was to drink a lot of water to trick my mind into thinking I was full.

LMAO! Dude.......

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I did a physician monitored fast after a hefty chemical exposure (unfortunately not recreational). I found that it really helped my whole system reset itself, but it has to be done right. I did not do the h2o only route, but used a nutritional drink -can't remember the name - UltraClear I think - the idea is taht you eliminate certain foods for a week, then others, then all and live only on this stuff for about a week. After that you slowly reintroduce foods again. Whole process takes almost a month, but it did make a pretty major difference. I found out I had picked up a bunch of food allergies due to the damage to my immune system caused by the diesel fumes, etc.

First thing I ate after a full week of fasting was a rice cracker. Took about 45 mins. to eat it too. It is something that I would consider doing again, but maybe not for as long as last time. Once the body stops digesting (takes a couple of days), it can do other stuff, like clean out your system of toxins. I really doubt you'll be doing much riding during the fast though. It pretty much wipes out your energy reserves.
The wierd thing was theat after a couple of days of not eating, I wasn't even hungry anymore. My Dr. did warn me not to get back on foods too quickly though. I guess you can REALLY mess things up if you do. All in all, I would suggest doing it, but only under a doctors supervision. Just dropping the eating part of your day could f*** you up.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i did a 2 day fast as part of a church thing once (raised some $ for hunger programs, and we simulated the experience as well). you do get over the hunger feeling after the 1st day and half or so, and it did feel strange to eat once again. felt like my stomach shrank a couple sizes.