Quantcast

Favorite Trail

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I haven't been back this season but as of last fall my favorite run was Shillelagh down to Hellion and either Lower Hellion or Maiden Voyage to the bottom. I loved the mix of natural and man-made terrain on that run, the step-ups and bridges on Hellion made me work harder at being consistent and smooth (two things I'm very bad at) and I think it's just a very fun run overall. I can't wait to see what the top of Hellion looks like this year.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Welcome to RM, HMBP.

I am a huge fan of Meowdow's end, that trail has unending corners and enough variety to make each one challenging. Yes, it's technically an easy trail, but the changing radius turns keeps me on my toes, and it becomes challenging at speed. The not-quite-doubles/speed rollers at the end I could do without, however.

ffancy ffeast is fun as well, but man those berms 2/3 of the way down get tight and challenging.

I like the lower part of threshold too, but the top is still extremely challenging.

Of course most will say hellion...really well organized trail but I'm not much of a jumper. In time, hopefully.

Also, it's nice to see the landing smoothed out on the last drop on ne style.

splat

Nam I am
I'm a Fancy Feast/ Meadows End Guy too. since I'm not much of a Jumper ( yet ) . But I also enjoyed Hitting up NE style and taking a Little air ( real Little ) on the many Table tops.

I plan to bring my Son up ther ethis year , and he is really looking forward to it.

tonyl

Chimp
Oct 2, 2007
I agree, I'm not much of a jumper and love the Fancy/Meadow's/cat scratch combo but my favorite trail used to be Eastern Hemlock. Just enough techincal with some good ole fashion NE root/rock combo's.

I think Maiden voyage is shaping up to be my new favorite trail now.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I haven't been on maiden in a year, and even then i rode it once last season. I should get back on the horse...too much fun to be had at bermland mountain though.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I have to say Threshold. The mix of tech riding and airtime works really well for me and you can get a load of speed in some of the sections. The single part I dislike is the rock drop to sharp left hander just after the berm on the side of the dirt pipe- the landing has always felt really harsh. Other than that, I love it and can't wait to get back up and ride it again.

Last edited:

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
Hellion...everything is well built and its a full of variety. I love the mix of step up, step down, table, wood features...etc. Flows so good.

dhmtber687

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
My new favorite combos are Happy Hour to Hellion, it is like a never ending pump track which is amazing hopefully I'll be up here sunday to try out the new bottom half! But my next favorite is definitely Eastern Hemlock it's just such a fun little DH trail especially once you get all the lines in perfectly it flows really nicely. Good job Highland keep up the good work!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Seriously, they are all great depending on what your mood is. For full DH style; Threshold. It's got a mix of everything and probably requires the least amount of pedaling on the mountain. A fair amount of people seem intimidated by it, but that keeps the traffic down.

For jump trails; Hellion and NE style but probably leaning towards NE due to the mix of drops and bigger jumps. That being said, I have a REQUEST: The table on NE that is after the step up platform and the 300 MPH berm under the lift by the Kilkanee (sp?) cut through, needs an additional 8-10ft distance added to it. It is actually almost dangerous as it is. The trajectory is great, but you have to brake so hard before it to prevent launching to flat, and everytime when I think I've slown down enough, it still is sketchy. Add the distance and lengthen the next R hand berm so you don't have to touch the brakes and that thing will be phenominal!

You guys continue to impress. Everytime I think a trail is dialed, you make these little adjustments that make it that much better (exit 19 to the hip)! Congrats on making a vision a reality!

....Oh yeah, and one leggers should get half off..well..everything!

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
That being said, I have a REQUEST: The table on NE that is after the step up platform and the 300 MPH berm under the lift by the Kilkanee (sp?) cut through, needs an additional 8-10ft distance added to it. It is actually almost dangerous as it is. The trajectory is great, but you have to brake so hard before it to prevent launching to flat, and everytime when I think I've slown down enough, it still is sketchy. Add the distance and lengthen the next R hand berm so you don't have to touch the brakes and that thing will be phenominal!
Yess, it sucks to flatland that table, some of my friends have hurt themselves doing that exact thing. The berm gives you so much speed, why make us brake it away?

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Seriously, they are all great depending on what your mood is. For full DH style; Threshold. It's got a mix of everything and probably requires the least amount of pedaling on the mountain. A fair amount of people seem intimidated by it, but that keeps the traffic down.

For jump trails; Hellion and NE style but probably leaning towards NE due to the mix of drops and bigger jumps. That being said, I have a REQUEST: The table on NE that is after the step up platform and the 300 MPH berm under the lift by the Kilkanee (sp?) cut through, needs an additional 8-10ft distance added to it. It is actually almost dangerous as it is. The trajectory is great, but you have to brake so hard before it to prevent launching to flat, and everytime when I think I've slown down enough, it still is sketchy. Add the distance and lengthen the next R hand berm so you don't have to touch the brakes and that thing will be phenominal!

You guys continue to impress. Everytime I think a trail is dialed, you make these little adjustments that make it that much better (exit 19 to the hip)! Congrats on making a vision a reality!

....Oh yeah, and one leggers should get half off..well..everything!
Yep, I saw a guy land maybe 3-5 from the beginning of the berm. It was scary watching him, but luckily he held on.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
looks like the issue (not that it was an "issue") has been adressed. The amount of work and progress those guys make is unbelievable. So lucky to have this as my home mountain, and as long as I can pedal, I will gladly continue to give those guys my money.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Threshold was awesome...mixing the features into a true DH trail is really my style. The drop into the ski slope followed by the left hander into the road gap is particularly nice. I could ride Hellion, NE Style, and Fancy Feast all day, and I thought the race track for the GES was awesome as well.

Basically all of Highland is sick. So glad I made the trip.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i have to agree. happy hour is the trail they should have built first. love it...can easily do multiple runs in a row till i get tired.

tebstebstebs

Chimp
May 7, 2006
Hellion for sure. My only complaint is that some of the jumps, even the huge ones, are super easy to clear while others are near impossible. For example, the small step up onto the wooden bridge (the one towards the end with the small drop). I followed one guy who made the step up but I have no idea how he did it. The berm before it is soooo small, I'm too afraid to try to pin it at high speeds. But 90% of that trail is super smooth fun jumps that you don't need to pedal for! I love the big step ups too which make you feel like your floating right over the landing, such as the very last one. Great job :)