Quantcast

Fear

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Snacks said:
Did you all start wearig pads when you first started riding?
NO! I hated the first pads I got and thought they looked dumb and were hot. Funny how a few accidents and run-ins with trees will change one's perception. As with BB it was a direct correlation between not wearing pads and getting hurt.

I have the padded butt shorts (Fox) - they're a chamois and padding. I found that I was throwing my hips and butt out when I fell. I pretty much only use them when jumping as they are truly hot and very tight. Anyone wanna wear a girdle?

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
amydalayna said:
don't really wear it regularly. but there are plenty of rides out here where you climb for an hour or more and then have a good DH. I bring the full face and climb without a helmet. but the climb is at a snail's pace.
i always climb with my dh helmet on, but i'm kind of stubborn like that. i feel like every time i wear it, i'm acting just like i would in a race. when i got out and do sprints on my dh bike, it's the same. i try to always replicate the type of gear i would be wearing in a race.

it also depends on what kind of helmet you have. i have a TLD D2 and it's really well vented. i can see where some of the moto helmets or one's that aren't as well-vented would be unbearable.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
amydalayna said:
when i first start riding? no. but then i took some dumb falls on my knees. and when that happens i can't ride for a bit.
so i wear the soft pads at the bmx track/ on xc. and the roach pads when i dh. the only pads i sometimes wish i had are some hip protection. i seem to always smash my left hip.
i am a left-hip lander, too. ugh....

six six one makes great padded undershorts. for less bulk, you could try EVS...they make moto gear and their shorts are more low profile.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
stephanie said:
i'll try, but it's hard to describe. when you approach the lip of the drop, i kind of yank on my bars as if i am trying to pop a wheelie. that's the best way i can describe it. so many people always told me to do this, but until i kind of did it by accident, i never really knew what it felt like.

so yes, pull on your bars like you're trying to wheelie...does that help?

when you do it correctly, you'll know because your front wheel won't dive as much.
Thanks, I believe I know exactly what you mean now! In class last Saturday we were told we could pop the jump meaning pulling up on the handlebars and preloading the shock or we could get more speed and then your back wheel naturally has time to catch up with the front wheel resulting in a both wheel landing. I don't have a wheelie drop that I can do yet but I can do the other things. And yes, I don't nose-dive as much unless I get lazy.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
bluebug32 said:
that's what I wear too, the soft ones with the wraparound. I love their stuff. The only thing with the knee/shin guards is that they chaffe around and just above the knees.
yes!!! mine chafed too until i really wore them in and they stretched out. i thought that 661 also made a super thin sleeve to go under those.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
redFoxx said:
Thanks, I believe I know exactly what you mean now! In class last Saturday we were told we could pop the jump meaning pulling up on the handlebars and preloading the shock or we could get more speed and then your back wheel naturally has time to catch up with the front wheel resulting in a both wheel landing. I don't have a wheelie drop that I can do yet but I can do the other things. And yes, I don't nose-dive as much unless I get lazy.
i still can't properly wheelie-drop, but i'm working on that. it's a whole new skill aside from the front wheel pop before going off a jump. sounds like your skills class is really good :)

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
stephanie said:
yes!!! mine chafed too until i really wore them in and they stretched out. i thought that 661 also made a super thin sleeve to go under those.
I haven't seen that sleeve, it sure would be handy. I have the very same problem, including some fresh bloody chafing from Sunday's ride. :mad: It's where the top part bends over. I ride such a low seat, my legs are constantly brushing against the material. Right now I use the ace knee bandage but it doesn't protect the higher part of my leg that gets the chafe. I have used yoga shorts before which totally work, but then that's in the way of my shorts which need to go on first. Mine are quite worn in so no amount of stretching left to be done....