Quantcast

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
So, it looks like Fedor finally lost tonight. Fabricio triangle choked his arse. Crazy. Eh, it was bound to happen some time. He had an incredible record. 31 wins, 1 no contest, now 1 loss. He probably had a huge amount of stress that just got lifted. No more pressure now. If he doesn't retire, he needs to move to the UFC.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I wish Fedor and Alistair were in UFC. It would help mix up the HW class a little more. Although that class is looking pretty good right now. Cain, Jr. Dos Santos, Carwin, Brock, Mir.....

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Just watched the Fedor and Werdum fight and I think Fedor is way past his prime. He was unbeaten for 10 years but who has he really fought the last couple of years?
I dont think he would last more then 2 fights in the UFC.

Overeem couldnt make it as a LHW and I dont think all these steroids have made him a better fighter.
He still a good kickboxer and hes friggin huge and strong, would be very interesting to see him in the UFC HW fighting a guy like Mir to see what hes worth...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm going off memory, and i'm thinking Fedor is around 34 years old. Don't really know if he's really past his prime. I just think he got caught and it wasn't his day. MMA has proven that anything can happen, anytime. Look at the first Scott Smith vs Cung Le fight. That's proof right there.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
He's not past his prime. He just made a mistake. He stunned the guy with one of the first punches right off the bell and tried to go in to finish it off. As soon as he couldn't finish him, he should have backed off and let him get up. Werdum knew he had no chance for a stand up fight with Fedor. Fedor is still hands down the best fighter out there.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
A record like that means nothing if youre not fighting the top dogs man.
Sure, 5 to 6 years ago he was beating top dogs, but those guys havent been on top for a while now.
Im not saying hes a bad fighter, hell hes probably one of the best fighters ever in MMA, but his recent record is way less impressive when you look at it a bit closer.

I hope he gets a rematch against Werdum and then a shot at Overeem. After that well have a better view of how realistic "best fighter in the world" is.
But I doubt it will happen.

Last edited:

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
I disagree that he "just got caught". Fedor is a genius of a fighter that made a strategic error in jumping into the guard of a talented, fit, young BJJ champion. Twice. Fedor survived doing it to Nog years ago and liked his odds with playing the same game last weekend. He should have focused on position (getting the **** out of Fab's guard) rather than trying to pound him out. He underestimated him and paid for it. This fight is a single fight in a long career. It is not some sort of turning point w.r.t. Fedor and his "prime". Fedor has a great camp and he will go back to training with his crew of feral humans and hopefully update his arsenal with some of today's MMA weaponry. The time is now for him to get to work.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I wish Fedor and Alistair were in UFC. It would help mix up the HW class a little more. Although that class is looking pretty good right now. Cain, Jr. Dos Santos, Carwin, Brock, Mir.....
5 good fighters does not make a good class. HW is very lame in the UFC, it's so small.

Oh and to weigh in on the Fedor debate. He's a good fighter, but if your not fighting the best guys then you cant be considered the best.

Fedor needs to fight against the UFC guys... I really just wish the UFC would buy Strikeforce outright like they did Pride.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
5 good fighters does not make a good class. HW is very lame in the UFC, it's so small.

Oh and to weigh in on the Fedor debate. He's a good fighter, but if your not fighting the best guys then you cant be considered the best.
I agree that 5 guys does not make a class. But finding more 260+ MF'ers that aren't Tim Silvia level retarded are slim to none. And guys I would consider good at 225 will just get overpowered by 260+ guys.

I honestly have only seen a few highlights of Fedor. But I would be hard pressed to say he could stand with any of the 5 guys in the UFC HW class. Heavy hands are one thing, but 5XL lunchboxes will put out a lot of dudes.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
"Just watched the Fedor and Werdum fight and I think Fedor is way past his prime".

i watched the fedor fight this moring and there is no way in hell fedor is past his prime , he just got caught . did you see the way fedor was punching werdum when he was getting the lock in ? one of those punches would have killed me . imo fedor still destroys all .

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
He made a tactical mistake and lost the fight because of it. I don't think he will make that mistake again. If he fights Werdum again, I think it will have a different outcome.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
It's hard to say whether or not Fedor is the "best HW in the world" or was. He definitely was for a time. Maybe they aren't really taking into consideration the fighters that he's beaten as much as his amazing record. nobody is going to have a record like that again. You want to see some good Fedor fights? Watch Fedor vs Randleman, Fedor vs Coleman, Fedor vs Fujita, Fedor vs Silvia.
Or for comparison, watch how long it took for Couture to beat Tim Sylvia, then watch how long it took Fedor. Fedor is still the best HW we'll ever see in our lifetimes. There's no way in hell that Brock/Carwin is going to get a record even close to Fedor's. The guys that Fedor was fighting were in their prime 7 to 9 years ago and he was walking through them. As saturday's fight showed, anything can happen anytime to anyone. For him to remain unbeaten for so many years and so many fights against guys that could knock him out in one punch is seriously amazing. Nobody is going to have a record like that. Not even Anderson.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Falling on your ass after getting punched in the head is classic BJJ? I think that Fedor knows he made a mistake and won't let it happen again? He went in for the kill and missed the opportunity.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Well, getting punched in the head isnt mandatory, but it can be part of the game, or even your battleplan.
To be so effective off your back is definitly classic BJJ. Even if someone is throwing punches at you ;)
I love to see Fedor fight so lets hope we see more!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
then watch how long it took ray mercer. therefore mercer > fedor > couture
Then watch Kimbo work Mercer over. Does that mean the Kimbo is better than Mercer, Sylvia, Fedor, Werdum, even though he can't win a single UFC fight?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
As long as Fedor hides behind the Strikeforce logo, his other accomplishments will be dismissed. As said before, his records will be ignored if he doesn't cross over to UFC.

Cro Cop and Rampage were brought in to be the new blood for UFC. That didn't work out so well. Pride style winning fighters and UFC style WINNING fighters, it would seem, are successful in completely different ways, despite the similarity of the combat.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I think the PRIDE winners are just past their primes now. There are more than a few fighters from PRIDE that came over. Wand (back and forth), Gomi, Crocop, Rampage, Nogs, Shogun, Anderson, Ryo Chonan, Sexiyama, Henderson, Sokojou, Vitor (back and forth), Carlos Newton, and I think there were a couple more. But yeah, they're all about 5 years or more past their prime except for Anderson apparently.
Wand is surviving, but barely. Gomi had way too damn hard of a fight for his first UFC fight. His next will be tough as hell too.
Crocop is on the downward spiral. Rampage is hangin in there, barely. Lost to a lay n pray dork.
Lil Nog looks good, big Nog doesn't. Shogun is doing good, same with anderson. They both used to be chute box, now Anderson isn't.
Ryo sucked. Weird since he finished Anderson with probably the submission of the century.
Henderson did ok too. Sokojou didn't do very good. Vitor is back and forth. Newton was awesome.

By the way, those vids were good finds.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I think the difference between fighting in PRIDE and UFC is actually quite big... Cage instead of a ring makes it more difficult for the kickboxers vs wrestlers/JJ/sambo style fighters. Different rules make it more difficult for the real finishers from PRIDE.
Ground and pound is limited, no kicks to a downed opponents head and so on. Pride rules had my preference because of this but I understand why they had to numb it down a little in the interest of the sport... Some of the fighters from PRIDE really had to adapt their fighting style and had some trouble with it like Wanderlei for example. Others were probably just over their prime (CroCop).

Shogun isnt Chute Box anymore either btw. He opened his own gym in Curitiba Brasil...
I think he definitly adapted to the new rules now and is a well deserved LHW champ.
Would love to see him destroy Evans and then fight Anderson at 205...

Videos come from http://mixedmartialartvideos.com btw...
They have all the good fights and chatter...

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Good info.^^^

When i started watching PRIDE, it was because i was tired of seeing people scoot fighters over to the fence, then press them against it and ground and pound to victory. That got old fast. That was when Tito was the main man for a bit and Shamrock was still around.

I liked how the ring actually made the fighters rely on other techniques instead of just elbows and pinning against the fence. If Couture fought in a ring, he'd be lost because you can't hug against the ropes and dirty box as well. I like the octagon, but i also liked the ring.

I wonder if Ninja is still fighting?