Quantcast

Female Athletes trade thin for results

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I thought that this was interesting, considering how 'attacked' I feel around women's fitness magazines (Lose 25 lbs in 2 weeks! and How to make Super Fudge Chocolate Chunk Brownie Cake)

Linky

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- After collapsing at the end of two marathons and struggling to swim just a single length of the pool, Olympic hopeful Jacqueline Mariash knew she needed some help. She got it from an unexpected source: a registered dietitian.

The 25-year-old Mariash has been a runner for nearly as long as she can remember, and began competing in triathlons in 1998. Like many female athletes, she strictly limited her food -- dipping as low as 800 calories a day -- to improve her performance by losing weight.

But her results were just the opposite.

"I used to wake up really tired," she said. "I used to take a lot of time off training because I was so exhausted."

Last summer, Mariash tried nutritional counseling. After about a month of sessions with dietitian Nancy Pudwill, the athlete said her energy levels soared and her performance improved. Weight loss was no longer her primary goal.

"In high school track, we all starved. That's not how you get to the Olympics," she said. "Now I can train harder, farther. Things I was afraid of, like a four-hour bike ride, are easy now."

If discipline is required for training, she says, why not for nutrition too?

For Mariash, the solution was to eat a lot more calories in three balanced meals plus several healthy snacks.

Before she began working with Pudwill, Mariash usually had cereal for breakfast and would then "basically nibble" all day -- crackers here, juice there -- with one balanced meal at night.

Now she has a full breakfast with eggs or other protein, a decent lunch, healthy snacks and an energy drink, plus a complete, balanced dinner.

Mariash is one of many athletes who have learned that thinner doesn't always mean faster or stronger, and that fitness and conditioning don't work well without proper nutrition. Athletes and coaches have increasingly turned to dietitians and nutrition counselors for such help, said Philip Haberstro of the National Association for Health and Fitness in Buffalo, New York.

About a year ago, Pudwill and several sports medicine doctors and therapists at the University of Colorado opened the Active Women's Health program after realizing many female athletes didn't understand how to meet their body's nutritional needs. Adding to the challenge is society's pressure to lose weight, Pudwill says.

"What happens with females is they don't realize how much it takes to fuel their body to do the kind of activity they're doing," she said. "Sometimes, typical of females, they're not eating enough."

Some problems don't always clearly point to nutrition -- stress fractures, low energy, anemia. But all can be signs of too few calories and a shortage of minerals like calcium and iron, said Suzanne Farrell, a Denver-based spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

Unlike men, women athletes often resist advice to eat more, Farrell said.

"I had to stop reading magazines like Shape and InStyle," said Mariash, who agreed it was hard to gain weight. "All the magazines talk about is losing 10 pounds or shaving inches from your waist. For me, it's how do I get fast."

Mariash said many athletes and coaches don't pay enough attention to nutrition as part of their training regimen.

Simple changes in diet, including a different ratio of protein, carbohydrates and fat, can bring rapid results, Pudwill said. She said she usually steers clients clear of supplements.

Mariash keeps a diary of the foods she eats and her energy levels through the day. During her weekly visits with Pudwill, they review the diary, check her weight and discuss any needed changes.

"I'm really concentrating on getting lean, but doing it the correct way," she said.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
when i was trying so hard to lose weight i started running. for two years i ran daily while eating 10-1200 calories a day. i thought i would never run farther than 3 miles. i was just word out. same with cycling. i would be so beat up mentally and physically at the end of a ride because i wouldn't fuel properly before hand. last year i began training for a marathon. i was eating whatever i wanted (probably too much) and i was running fantastically. I ended up getting a really bad case of the flu and fell behind on training, but i had never felt so strong in my runs as i did when i was eating properly.

I'm back to running again. eating what i like and feeling great. i'm building mileage up quickly and feel confident that this year is the year i will run a marathon.

I had to stop reading self and fitness too. they would have these great workouts and routines and they would really have to training hard and then turn around and tell you to stick to a 15-1800 calories a day diet. not working so well for me.

I ramble on about this topic because it is one that really bothers me. male athletes (for the most part) are encouraged to bulk up, gain muscle and eat eat eat. female athletes are encouraged to use their sport as a form of weight loss/management. weight loss is a fantastic side effect of participating in a sport because sometimes it happens without me even noticing, but now that it isn't my focus, i enjoy the sport better and my performance improves.

I found what works for me. the best part is, when i train for a marathon i can eat and drink whatever i want and still fit into those pants that were too small last year. better hit the pavement.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Excellent article!!! I switched over to eating several small meals per day rather than the 3 squares and found that I had SO much more energy...lost weight (even though I wasn't trying) and gained muscle because I was able to fit in my workouts and had energy to get through the day. I too hate all the "loose 25 lbs in 2 weeks" ads and articles which is one of the reasons I don't bother reading fitness magazines. I'm happy with my size as is my husband and I feel healthy. As a side note: When I was training and eating 5-6 small meals (really it was 3 smaller scale meals with spaced out healthy snacks) I didn't get sick...no colds, no flu...nothing and I am a teacher so I am definitely exposed to everything on a daily basis!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Great posts....and something definitely worth discussing.

As someone in the magazine industry, I definitely think some bad messages are/ have been put out there for women. But, I also think there's a slow trend to show real women and give women real expectations. It's definitely a balancing act to decide what messages in movies/tv/music/advertising/magazines to take seriously or use for motivation and which ones to filter out.

I definitely draw the line at what fitness mags. I'll read. Currently, I'm freelancing for one. When I signed on, I met with the fitness editor and told him that women need to hear different messages and that we need a different approach to fitness than just quick weight loss. This magazine (though I still find it to be somewhat trashy) encourages women to show their muscles and be strong in everything they do.

My career aside, I subscribe to Self and several mountain biking mags. I don't read the fitness cards they provide and I don't need help motivating myself to exercise. If I were to exercise the way they describe, I guarentee I would hate it. I like to read the mental health articles the most.

Lastly, in defense of magazines, it's important to remember two things. First, we're drawn to all aspects of media because they play on our sense of dreaming. We read magazines (watch movies, read a book etc) for escape. Everything in any type of media is somewhat unatainable. Ads play on this too. Secondly, ads are a completely different part of a magazine. I'm an editor at a magazine and the first thing I learned is that editorial and advertising are like church and state. In other words, if there are 10 ads for hydroxycut, editorial has no control over that. This is one of the things I dispise. They can also insert 20 page advertorials that look just like articles.

I think it's great that women are taking control of their bodies. But there will always be women (and men too) who look for the quick fix and media caters to this. More serious athletes are in the minority and magazines must cater to the majority.