Quantcast

Fetish cycles

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are these bikes any good? I have my eye on a "illustre", which is for sale used nearby, and is full carbon. $850 for fork crank, SP, HS and stem. Decent deal, or keep looking?

I'm a beginner roadie looking to compete in triathlons and put some long miles in. I already have a great set of wheels but need everything else.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Never ridden em, but the frame is nice looking and that price is awesome

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah that's the one... I know raleigh makes a decent low-end carbon frame, but I can't find any info on the illustre.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
That's a little expensive for a generic frame, i'd say. Most importantly, it doesn't have good geometry to work with aerobars. Ideally you want a seat angle at least in the high 74's, if not closer to 78, and shorter front center/ slacker head angle, more fork rake for correct handling.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
do you mean for triathlons, or in general? I know the geometry is different for tris, but honestly, I'll be competing in sprint distance tris that I could probably do on my schwinn homegrown, but would rather do on a proper road bike.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
if your just looking for a generic carbon frame, ebay's not a bad place to look. plenty of those taiwan made framesets on there for cheap money. i was looking at one myself and it was frame, fork, seatpost and 2 bottle cages i think for like $450. 12k carbon weave too i think.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
do you mean for triathlons, or in general? I know the geometry is different for tris, but honestly, I'll be competing in sprint distance tris that I could probably do on my schwinn homegrown, but would rather do on a proper road bike.
If you are using aerobars, you should have a bike that handles well in them, especially in a sprint distance race where speed and bike handling abilities are more important.

It should be easy enough to find a used TT frame for around $400.

Don't fall for the Carbon Hype. Cheap Carbon frames are the most potentially dangerous product in all of cycling. A cheaper aluminum frame will weight about the same, or a hundred or so grams more, be just as comfortable, and be far less likely to be a ticking timebomb waiting to remove a few layers of your skin.

If you want a bike to enjoy riding on the road, a TT frame isn't the ticket though... So many people are constantly selling great used road frames. For the price of that Fetish, you could get a good bike fit done to help you figure out a good frame, and buy a quality used steel or aluminum frame.

That's my unsolicited rant/advice.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
all good points by SD. the attraction of a cheap carbon frame is nice but i know i won't buy one because i'm a steel guy and i'd rather take that money and put it towards a nice steel frameset. plus with my fat ass i'd probably break the carbon frame in no time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
alright. Thanks guys for the advice. Looks like this isn't the killer deal I initially thought. I'll keep my eyes open for a better road or better tri frame. Thanks.