Quantcast

Finally moving away from my left-wing parents. Time to buy guns!!

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
So this fall Im moving out for college and by second semester I should have a place off campus. Ive always been interested in guns ever since I was little, but my parents are anti-gun liberals :think: So once I get a place off campus next year I think I'll buy some guns!

I want to start with a pretty accurate rifle for target shooting and the occasional hunting expedition. I was thinking something like a .223 but something of a bigger caliber might be better. I also want to get a shotgun for skeet shooting and hunting. I was thinking about a Remington 870 Express:

And in the more distant future (when I turn 21) I want to get a handgun. Possibly a Glock 30 .45 acp or another sub-compact pistol. :thumb:

So I'd like some input here, Ive been hunting and target shooting several times but I don't know a whole lot about guns, so any info is helpful.:thumb:

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
As someone who has been around guns for a longtime and been a dumb drunk college kid too I strongly recommend not having a gun in your place at college.
A kid that I went to school with shot and killed his friend with a civil war reproduction muzzle-loader when they were just sitting around the living room dicking around.
It's not worth it.

That being said, if you want a rifle to do any hunting with, .223 is not legal in most states to kill a deer or anything larger with. Get something like a 30-30 or a .243 if you want a bolt gun.
If I were you I would buy a good pump 12ga, the most versatile gun you can own. They can be had new for less than $300 and between buckshot, slugs, and birdshot you will be covered for hunting all sorts of stuff and by you can get birdshot really cheap for plinking(although .22 is where its at for target shooting)

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
for a rifle would u want bolt action?
bolt action or semi-auto. But I heard you lose some accuracy with a semi auto. I want something that would be capable of some pretty long range shots. Ive always been interested in snipers. Call me nerdy, but calculating, dialing in, and executing super long distance shots has always looked like it would be fun to do. :rolleyes:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
As someone who has been around guns for a longtime and been a dumb drunk college kid too I strongly recommend not having a gun in your place at college.
A kid that I went to school with shot and killed his friend with a civil war reproduction muzzle-loader when they were just sitting around the living room dicking around.
It's not worth it.

That being said, if you want a rifle to do any hunting with, .223 is not legal in most states to kill a deer or anything larger with. Get something like a 30-30 or a .243 if you want a bolt gun.
If I were you I would buy a good pump 12ga, the most versatile gun you can own. They can be had new for less than $300 and between buckshot, slugs, and birdshot you will be covered for hunting all sorts of stuff and by you can get birdshot really cheap for plinking(although .22 is where its at for target shooting)
I would definitely invest in a small gun safe. One with like a 5-number combination lock, that I would be unable to open drunk :thumb:

The shotgun would most likely be the gun for plinking with ammunition prices the way they are.

why would .243 be legal but not .223? Thats barely a larger round right?

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I sold two Glock 22's.One Glock 35 & one Glock 27 this weekend in Bristol,TN @ the gun/knife show.As well as a Ruger Mini-14 stainless steel.
The Glock 30 is not very common on the used market.You might have to go to a gun dealer for that one!Remington 870 is a great shotgun.Also check out some revolvers,you might like them better.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I sold two Glock 22's.One Glock 35 & one Glock 27 this weekend in Bristol,TN @ the gun/knife show.As well as a Ruger Mini-14 stainless steel.
The Glock 30 is not very common on the used market.You might have to go to a gun dealer for that one!Remington 870 is a great shotgun.Also check out some revolvers,you might like them better.
A revolver is definitely not out of the question for a handgun. I shot a friends S&W model 10 .38 special and I really liked that. But right now I'm looking at Rifles and shotguns since thats all I can legally own.:thumb: I really like the model 870. It seems like a well made, no b.s. pump shotgun.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
.223 would be great for plinking but you would only be able to hunt varmits effectively. I have killed many deer with a .223 but hot placement is critical and I have spent alot of time follwing blood trails to find a running animal.

if you are looking for a great all around hunting rifle you might want to look at a bolt action 30-06 or a marlin 30-30. they can both be scoped and they will kill just about any big game and can still make a red mist out of coyotes and marmots.

you are right on track with the 870. great shotgun and if practiced you may outshoot others in clays even though they are sporting 4k over unders. you may also want to look at the benelli nova pump. its in the same price range but I think it is a far superior shotgun for the money. and dont get caught up in the 3 1/2 mag chambers, I have killed every goose and duck with 2 3/4 rounds and never needed the reach of a big magnum shotshell.

my suggestion for a pistol when you turn 21 may be a glock 23 (since you favor glocks) the .40 S&W will shoot better than the .45 auto and you can buy a .357 sig barrel for your glock down the road. it uses the same pistol and mags but you now have the best of both worlds. (the 357sig is the best handgun round IMO)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Having a gun in your college dorm room or off-campus apartment is a not good idea, especially since you're not an experienced shooter and gun owner. College accomodations are all shared to some extent, there's no privacy or discretion, and there's going to be drunken behavior which will come, some time or other, to people (or yourself) taking an interest in that gun. Nothing good will come of that.

If you were a 25-year old continuing education student living in his own apartment in town, it'd be a different story.

If you're interested in shooting sports and/or self-defense and must have one, buy a shotgun and find a safe place to store it outside of your dorm, preferably at a rod and gun club, or other range, in a safe. The 870 is a great choice. Then spend money and time on training with reputable people. And don't listen to what people in 98% of the gun stores or gun forums on the Internet tell you. Gun people are typically even more full of **** than bike people, motorcycle people, or car people.

If and when you get a handgun, get a 9mm Glock. G19 or G26. Don't put any trickster aftermarket stuff on it, except quality night sights of your choice. 9mm and up in handguns will all reliably penetrate a human; it's about putting it in the right place, and probably repeatedly. For this you need training, and 9mm lets you train more for your dollar. It also gives the greatest capacity of any effective caliber, giving you the most chances to do what needs to be done.

Shoot a man with a .45 in the arm, and he's got an arm wound. Same with a 9mm. Shoot him in the lungs and heart with either, or in the face, and you're on the way to winning the fight, so long as you continue to deliver effective shots until he's down.

Revolvers are awesome for target shooting. If you want to punch holes in paper, get one. I love shooting them, but wouldn't prefer to be armed with one in a fight. And shrouded snubnoses make decent backup guns. That's well into your future.

Last edited:

Gnarshmellow

Lil' Thniper
Apr 11, 2010
Bellingham Wa
bolt action or semi-auto. But I heard you lose some accuracy with a semi auto. I want something that would be capable of some pretty long range shots. Ive always been interested in snipers. Call me nerdy, but calculating, dialing in, and executing super long distance shots has always looked like it would be fun to do. :rolleyes:
Same im a big sniper guy too..HK PSG1 amazing sniper..designed to kill someone from a mile away..great German engineering...or go with the Remington 700..SWAT uses it..its pretty badass..but if i had to choose between the 2 id go with the HK PSG1..its used by GSG-9 (German SWAT)

Jul 1, 2005
oakland, CA
ha
thats a trip --
ive got an 870, g19 & g26!
thumbs up on all, but i'd have to say in addition
to the nightsights on the glocks put in a lighter trigger connector --
does wonder for the trigger pull.
& the 870's a great pump, but how bout one of these badboys ==
semiauto saiga 12, 10 rnd boxes, ak action, sick as hell:

Attachments

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Same im a big sniper guy too..HK PSG1 amazing sniper..designed to kill someone from a mile away..great German engineering...or go with the Remington 700..SWAT uses it..its pretty badass..but if i had to choose between the 2 id go with the HK PSG1..its used by GSG-9 (German SWAT)
I'd love to have a Remington 700 in .308 but I'd have to find a used one because its a bit out of my price range new. That HK looks sick but where the hell would I find one of those??? And where the hell would I get NATO ammunition for it???? I'm new to guns and all, but that seems like its crossing way too many legal boundaries for my taste. :shocked:

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
You can get a nice Savage .308 for a good bit less than the 700, spend your money on a good optic.
Also, 870 are a really nice gun but you can get a mossberg 500 and save some cash, they are great guns. 870's have a bit nicer fit and finish but functionally are no better than the mossberg.
Have you ever shot a Glock? When you get around to purchasing a handgun definitely shoot as many as you can. I really don't like the feel of a glock- just doesn't fit naturally in my hand. Another thing to consider is that compact handguns in .45 aren't the most fun to shoot. A hefty, full-size 1911 tames the recoil a little bit better.

Oh yeah and whatever you get, don't take a gun to college with you. I dont care what kind of safe you get it. Never underestimate the ability of drunken antics...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This makes me LOL in my pants.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
you need to wear a helmet, you have no clue what your talking about.

Gnarshmellow

Lil' Thniper
Apr 11, 2010
Bellingham Wa
I'd love to have a Remington 700 in .308 but I'd have to find a used one because its a bit out of my price range new. That HK looks sick but where the hell would I find one of those??? And where the hell would I get NATO ammunition for it???? I'm new to guns and all, but that seems like its crossing way too many legal boundaries for my taste. :shocked:
It would be fairly easy to get i bet..you would probably just have to buy it online instead of a gun store..honestlly gun stores suck ass and dont know **** about guns..either buy it online or look for a legit like gun dealer..like a mass gun dealer..not just some **** walmart gun shop...and how would that be crossing any legal boundaries..just cause its a german wepon doesnt mean anything

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Now it's the NSMB of guns!

Rootbeer Saiga-12s won't flex, ever, but you need to add extra gussets to a Remington 700 before you can add Shiverz so that it's as good as a PSG-1.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ummmm, and...custom title much, Mr. Mod?

"Lil' thniper," perhaps?

Classic thread. It needs the video of the dea agent shooting himself in the classroom full of kids for all around ambience.

Muzzle loading glocks are fun. It just sucks when you have to wind the wheel lock mechanism every other shot. Oh and dont fire cop killer bullets thru it, it voids the warranty.