Quantcast

Finding a bike to ride for one day in NH

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I am having a bitch of a time finding a bike to rent/borrow/steal for June 16th in hanover NH (Dartmouth reunion for wifey). I have tried (I think) the shops in the 'nearby' towns (lebanon, white river junction, lebanon, etc).
Anyone have any leads on finding a 'fun' bike to rent? (130-150 travel, Medium size).
I appear to be striking out.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
are you flying into Logan Airport in Boston or Manchester NH? if Logan, I think JRA cycles in Medford, MA has Pivots to rent for testing. you can pick it up on your way out of Boston since I'll assume your heading up Rt 93 to NH

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
are you flying into Logan Airport in Boston or Manchester NH? if Logan, I think JRA cycles in Medford, MA has Pivots to rent for testing. you can pick it up on your way out of Boston since I'll assume your heading up Rt 93 to NH
Yep, they have a bunch of demo bikes to try. I live only 15 minutes from JRA cycles and know them quite well (I ride with the owner in a group ride once in a while), they are good people.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
We will be in Vermont for a few days afterwards, and I only have time for a ride on the 16th, so a Boston based rental wouldn't work.
Thanks though.
Let me see if I can dig any additional info at local forums. In the worst case scenario, if I manage to drive up on the 16th, you'll be welcome to enjoy my unrideabru HT. ;)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ok, may have hatched a new plan. Giant is doing free demos at the Killington Bike Park...have any of you ridden there? Impressions?
You get two free uphill tickets with the free demos, seems like a no-brainer.
I guess it is about an hour from Hanover to KBP?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
We are coming up to Burlington for a night.
There are many bike shops in town and I think most of 'em rent.

Earl's Cyclery & Fitness, 2500 Williston Rd, South Burlington, VT 05403, http://www.earlsbikes.com/
Alpine Shop, 1184 Williston Rd, South Burlington, VT 05403, https://www.alpineshopvt.com/
North Star Sports, 100 Main St, Burlington, VT 05401
Skirack, 85 Main St, Burlington, VT 05401
Outdoor Gear Exchange, 37 Church St, Burlington, VT 05401

Lots of riding in the area.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Killington it is then? Big mountain with old school trails served by the gondola and a brand new gravity logic built park on the side of the mountain.

For me, Killington is memorable for lousy weather, in any season. Dress well.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'll see. It is ~3hrs for me each way, and my wife will be returning from her trip to EU so that makes things a little more challenging.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
and see what all the fuss is about with the Firebird
We are one of the Meccas of Pivot dentistry and the Firebird doesn't exist here - it's either the 429 (if you ride in spandex), or the Switchblade (if you ride in spandex and a non-roadie helmet).

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
very interested to hear your thoughts on the firebird...seen a couple around here. many more mach 4,5,etc...it was a contender when i was looking at new bikes