Quantcast

Firestone Trail Work Days

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Ok monkeys!

This Saturday and Sunday is the final chance to dial the courses.

Come out in force won't ya!

8 AM at the top of the DH course. Work for a few hours then ride!

See you there!

Hecky :hot:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The course is pretty much dialed as of now. Of course there needs to be some fine tuning and finishing work so anyone who can make it out tomorrow should go and put in a few hours and then take some runs.

The course is so awesome this year, there are some really nice new features and the old stuff is buffed out nicely, I had more fun riding out there today than I've had in a long time. It's such a fast flowy course with lots of fun jumps and drops. Mitch clocked 38mph today at the bottom of the g-out, that's FAST!

Anyone within a days drive should roll out and race it will be a FU¢KIN' BLAST for sure.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The course is sooo fast and flowy. Now, I have the course pretty dialed, although I could improve in a few places.

We need to get a bunch of monkeys to come this year. Come tomorrow and dig and ride, I'll be there. It's basicly A-line

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
I just want to say thanks to all of you that have taken the time to come up to Fstone, this year and in past years, to make this race course kick ass!

This is a great example of how the dream of one person can become the mission of several others, and one in which the end result is something that everyone who gets a chance to witness and partake in it benefits from and will remember forever. :cool:

I really do mean it whan I say thank you to all of you who have ever helped dig on that land up there, because without you, none of it would be possible.

Now, we have one more day of fine tuning and pre-riding, come on out, your more than welcome here, your invited.

ETR,

Hecky :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ yup, that's Mitch. He has a computer mounted and he and Steve trained each other down the course and hit 38 once and 37 more than a few times.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
hecktone said:
I just want to say thanks to all of you that have taken the time to come up to Fstone, this year and in past years, to make this race course kick ass!

This is a great example of how the dream of one person can become the mission of several others, and one in which the end result is something that everyone who gets a chance to witness and partake in it benefits from and will remember forever. :cool:

I really do mean it whan I say thank you to all of you who have ever helped dig on that land up there, because without you, none of it would be possible.

Now, we have one more day of fine tuning and pre-riding, come on out, your more than welcome here, your invited.

ETR,

Hecky :)
Mike,

Thank YOU for making this all happen. It takes a TON of work to get the ball rolling on a project of this magnitude which is the job you have done that no one else locally would. I think I speak for all the volunteers when I say we are stoked to come out and lend a hand on such a fun project. This event is great for the SB riding community and not to mention so much fun.

Thanks again for all your hard work, here's to more great races in the future!

-Sean

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
punkassean said:
Mike,

Thank YOU for making this all happen. It takes a TON of work to get the ball rolling on a project of this magnitude which is the job you have done that no one else locally would. I think I speak for all the volunteers when I say we are stoked to come out and lend a hand on such a fun project. This event is great for the SB riding community and not to mention so much fun.

Thanks again for all your hard work, here's to more great races in the future!

-Sean
:stupid: Great Job! Thank's for doing all this.

-pat

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
so is the course ready to ride, last time i was there the bottom was still over grown

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Bicyclist said:
Today was fun. We worked on the XC course, dialed the last berm, and then rode the course.
I was there. Who are you? Were you the guy in white glasses? I was on my silver azonic HT , with a grey fox jersey.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm so anxious for practice on Friday!!
The course is so fast, flowy and fun (so totally different from the usual in S.B. ;) )

So I put on a 2.35" rear tire for the race (from a 2.5)
I'm thinking of slapping on the 12-27 cassette too.
Any other good ideas for setup this weekend?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I say run a 12-23. I never went into the top 2 or 3 gears on my 12-25, I don't see why you'd need a 12-27.

Maybe set your suspension a little stiffer than the usual rocky settings.

And clipless is a must!!! Coming from me you know it's true, I never rock clips.

I would also run XC tubes if you're not already, no real danger of flats. Tire pressure should be pretty high 'cause there's not really any loose stuff.

On a different note, anyone have pics from this Sunday? I saw someone was shootin' pics of the stepdown-into-berm at the end.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I will be using my usual 2.35 highroller slick (middle has really low tread , perfect for the course).

That was Rick from LensArt taking photos. He will have the photos on his site, when it's up.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bicyclist said:
I say run a 12-23. I never went into the top 2 or 3 gears on my 12-25, I don't see why you'd need a 12-27.

Maybe set your suspension a little stiffer than the usual rocky settings.

And clipless is a must!!! Coming from me you know it's true, I never rock clips.

I would also run XC tubes if you're not already, no real danger of flats. Tire pressure should be pretty high 'cause there's not really any loose stuff.
-I have a 12-27 and don't have the other roadie clusters and its a tighter ratio than my current 11-32
-Suspension, check
-Clipless, always
-XC tubes, never. I find new and inventive ways to flat out. I flatted last year on the course, I don't know how:dead:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
How bout a Welterweight tube or something that's not a brick, at least?

After riding clips all day Sunday I don't think I'm going back to flats.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bicyclist said:
How bout a Welterweight tube or something that's not a brick, at least?

After riding clips all day Sunday I don't think I'm going back to flats.
maybe I'll do some mid-weight tubes, but I seem to pinch anything that isn't a full on DH tube/tire @ 25-30+psi:dead: Last year I flatted out with 20 minutes to start time because I thought I could get away with XC tubes, so you can see why I'm reluctant.

What pedals are you running? I'm on Times now after years on Shimano and I really like 'em

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm running the resin cage 545s (I think that's the #). I may want to try some Times because Shimanos blow in the mud, as I learned last summer. :dead: What's special about the Times that makes them better than Shimanos?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bicyclist said:
I'm running the resin cage 545s (I think that's the #). I may want to try some Times because Shimanos blow in the mud, as I learned last summer. :dead: What's special about the Times that makes them better than Shimanos?
Times actually work in mud. They have more float and a stronger spring. You don't come out of your pedals accidentally and can use a bit more body english.

old ol

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
Bicyclist said:

Yea u must be having a lot of mud down in Ojai right about now....