Quantcast

Firestone Walker Race

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The race is in April and a lot of the course has to be cut still. Anyone in the SB area interested in helping should contact me or Mike Hecker, the race promoter.

This Saturday at 1pm were doing some work if your up for it.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Well I just walked the course today and did a little work. The length is about 1.5 miles. It will be very fast and has a couple natural hits. One spot we discussed will have a very high speed ridgeline section shooting up a little hill, at the top of the hill will be a bermed tight corner that doubles back.

The one natural drop will be in the 6'-12' depending on how fast you hit it. Its gonna have a roll around line, but it will penalyze you.

I'm excited but ther is a ton of work to do before she's ready. Monkies in the SB area who wanna help, let me know.

Oh another thing, its a freakin beautful location, rolling hills and oak trees right next to the Firestone vineyards.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Negative Mike, for one this the ground is like a sponge out there right now. Nothing is marked and its all on private property too:D There might be an oppurtunity to ride it closer to the race though, I'll let you know.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
wow i will definitely race this. if i cant make enough money from the job that i dont have yet to buy a new bike, i will have to borrow a dh bike.
zark how many bikes do you have?
-mario

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
This weekend Sunday 2/15 There will be trail building event for the Firestone DH course. Work goes form 12-4:30pm, bring tools, water and snacks
Please pm me if you need directions

Noah

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
If I go downhilling on Saturday, I'll for sure go out there and help all day on Sunday. Are you able to give me a ride out there Noah? I'd love to help, but have no car or anything. I could help pay for lunch, or whatever. Let me know.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Nice, that would be sweet. I might meet up with this kid Daniel and ride some trails this weekend on my new bike, I just hope he wants to do that on Saturday.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
How long is this DH course? Is it a short one?

I almost thought about entering the race for DH just to do something different, plus for all I know my slowness on a different course may not be a factor :)

I've been getting use to the DH bike but still got a ways to go. Now that the sun stays out later I hopefully can ride more than normal.

No DH until sunday though if at all. Valentines day is sat..........no riding on that day :(

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
a little course update. We had another session of work today. Mike Hecker (the promoter) and the rest of us went at it and made some cool stuff and I rode it for the first time. The course is still rough in spots and not close to done, but fun! The time right now is around 2 minutes (pretty short, i know) but may be a little longer before its done.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Here is the landing for what should be a pretty fun jump section. Very steep and fast.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
here is a view near the top. Most of the course follows a ridge line. The views are pretty nice too;)

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
That looks awesome Noah, next weekend for sure I'll be down. Cold Springs just messed me up yesterday. I rode with Duncan Riffle, I've never been dropped so fast in my life.

Feb 17, 2004
NS, Canada
Looks like you've got some good times ahead of you! Send me some pics next week. Tell Dave I said watch out for the purple flowers! And say hi to Andrew Firestone for me :devil:

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
All right folks another work weekend coming up (2/21-22). A fun one too. The tractor came up to the course and generated some dirt for jumps and Allan rutted in some lines on his quad. Saturday and Sunday are a berm and jump building fest. We are meeting at 11:30 on site and working till 3pm, then riding till dark.

If you are in the area (or willing to drive) get some tools, water, food and bike and gear and head on out. pm me for directions and all that good stuff!

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Well weather can't stop us! Our Saturday was productive, one berm mostly done, and two other smaller jumps were made. It take a lot of folks to make a berm with the hill so off-camber.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Heres Dave bustin on a new hit. Were thinking one more railroad tie would do nicely here;)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
One must push though:p We'll have a shuttle for the race I swear!:D More diggin and pics to come tomorrow. Thanks to all who helped today!

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by Zark
Ummm... can you say fast? This course is gonna be blazin fast!
Wish I can help out.
Noah, if they let you break ground, maybe a lil calming measure can be added to "slow" this section down.. :D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Orven
Wish I can help out.
Noah, if they let you break ground, maybe a lil calming measure can be added to "slow" this section down.. :D
LOL yes, there is some stuff planned for that hill. First order of business right now is a 60 foot berm around an off camber:eek:

I'll keep those suggestions in mind, they are pretty much what I'm thinking of too:cool:

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
i cant wait for this race. im definitely going to be there. especially with it being only an hour away. i have one question though. why berm up all the offcamber stuff?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
There is this really wierd offcamber section where having a berm will be nice, you'll be able to keep a lot better speed through it, its kinda uphill.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Today in the pouring rain seven of us 100% crazy trail builders worked for a few hours and acomplished a few things.

Finishing the railroad tie jump by adding a 4th tie and back filling it. Then we worked on the off camber berm section. At one point Dr. Dave was actually on his hands and knees smoothing it out like wet cement!

This course is going to be sweet! I might have to borrow a DH bike so that I can ride the course myself.

Hopefully it will dry out this week and we can get back up there next weekend.

I think Zark will be adding some pics of todays rainfest a bit later.

MH :nuts:

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
It was pretty wet and cold by this point. Thanks t everybody nuts enough to show today:)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by beaverbiker
i cant wait for this race. im definitely going to be there. especially with it being only an hour away. i have one question though. why berm up all the offcamber stuff?
There are plenty of off camber sections on the course. It looked like a fun feature to add in.