Quantcast

First All-Mountain Bike, need advice!

baycat

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Hi, new to this board and looking for some insight on an upcoming bike purchase. I am either going to get the Yeti 575 or a Cannondale Prophet 1000 or 2000. This bike is complementary to my XC rig, so I wanted something with more travel, 5+ inches, and the ability to do some agressive riding, light drops and handle the downhill better.

Anyone have experince on riding either bike, and can possible compare the Prophet to the Yeti?

Is the price jump from the Prophet 1000 to the 2000 worth it, as is the price jump from the Enduro to the Race Disc for the Yeti worth it?

Which of the bikes is a better climber, I am guessing both equally handle the downhill the same as their are almost equal in what kind of travel can be run on them and same frame design?

Thanks!

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
I am riding a prophet now along with a few other riders I know. I have no problems with my bike at all, although it is a custom build. I can tell you that the major thing you get from going to a prophet 1000 to a prophet 2000 is the carbon lefty that is on the 2000. Other than that you still get SPV on the fork. If you are a Shimano guy then you might want to go with the 2000 I'm fairly certain it comes with an XT/XTR drivetrain. Where the 1000 comes with SRAM stuff. I ride SRAM now and love it. Either way you can't go wrong.

The Yeti 575 is a good bike too. You should ride both and see which one feels better to you. Although I am a big fan of the Prophets.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I ride a 575 and it's awesome. I'm constantly impressed with the bike, though I've never done any DHing on it. My home trails are all mud in the spring, roots and harpack in the summer and the bike handles them very well. I spent the better portion of last weekend hammering away on super rocky technical trails, and the bike did equally as well.

IMO, you can't go wrong with the 575. I've heard rumors that Yeti waranties it with a DC fork, so they must be expecting it to take a beating.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
Ha-ha Jackson. We have the MBW battle going, Prophets vs 575's. Both the bikes are hot. Prophet 4x forever, or at least till there is some other bike catching my eye.

baycat

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
So for the Prophet it is basically a SRAM vs Shimano deal, plus if I really want that Carbon Lefty. Is anyone running FOX 36s on Yeti's?

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
I havn't seen anyone running a 36 on a 575 yet. I have on the ASX's but not on a 575. It would slack the bike out alot. I run a Nixon Platinum on my Prophet and it didn't slack it out too much, but did raise the front end up alot. Just try to watch the geometry when you throw a fork that big on it. If the front end is really high and slack it makes climbing difficult.

Pm me if you have any questions about my set-up or anyboys else's. I have a custom built proph and ride with a bunch of guys who have stock ones. Even a few guys with Yeti 575's.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
It's definately a SRAM VS Shimano deal on the prophets as long as they at the 1000 level or above, there are some differences in the 600 and 800 version.

baycat

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Thnanks for th einput, either bike can be had for a good discount, work at a shop that prodeals, so I need to come to a conclusion on one. Wish I had th emoney to buy both! Anyone know when the enduro-20 kits will be available for the 575?