Quantcast

"First" bike opinions please

ACF

Chimp
Jul 12, 2002
Hello,

I'm 32 yrs, old and in pretty good shape, used to ride BMX bikes but haven't for many years. I've always thought mtn. biking would be fun and am ready to dive into my first purchase. I would like to keep it under $500 if possible. After some pretty extensive local bike shop and net searching I found the Specialized Hardrock A1 PRO FS TT http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=02HardrockA1ProFSTT&bl=mountain on sale for $425!

I would appreciate any opinions on that bike or any comments in general that could help a 'noob' like myself get started with it all. :)

Thanks!

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
What you're getting there is...

a reliable frame that has been holding up well for the past year under thousands of riders (all Hardrocks use the same frame)

Judy TT fork - good bang for buck, reliable

entry-level mountain bike drivetrain, includes Deore mech and Specialized cranks and goodies... durable and functional. As opposed to "recreational" bike drivetrains found on lower-end stuff, these parts will keep working in actual dirt.

v-brakes: the only way to fly. That is, unless you have discs...

standard Specialized post/saddle/stem/bar/grips - they just plain work.

Go for it! You'll have a blast. Make sure you get to test ride first, and it's also important to have the salesperson fit you to the correct size frame. $425 is an awesome price!

Bienvenidos!

Feb 3, 2002
mile high
i agree. for that price you can buy your way into a "real mtb". The compnents aren't bad either. for 20 bucks, replace the front der for better performance.

Jun 30, 2002
Denton, TX
I'm new to MTB'ing as well (coming from BMX sizes), and I just bought a Specialized Hardrock Comp for $365, and it's a good deal for the level of componentry + frame that you get.

Right off the bat I changed out the pedals for some BMX type platforms, and I HATE the seat. Ordered a new saddle, and I'd like a new stem and handlebars.

Bang for the buck, I chose this bike over the Giant Yukon and Trek 4300/4500, and I'm very happy with my purchase.

ACF

Chimp
Jul 12, 2002
Thanks guys, went to another shop today and the salesman was pushing the $400 Giant Yukon, (partly I think b/c no one has the Hardrock in stock and it would have to be shipped here from across the country) saying its very comparable...hmmmm. Any comments on that?

Jun 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Originally posted by ACF
Thanks guys, went to another shop today and the salesman was pushing the $400 Giant Yukon, (partly I think b/c no one has the Hardrock in stock and it would have to be shipped here from across the country) saying its very comparable...hmmmm. Any comments on that?
I just bought the Hardrock, my buddy just bought the Yukon.

Yukon has a better stock seat, chainguard, shifters aren't as good, frame design isn't as good.

Specialized has better frame, better shifters, horrible seat, no chainguard, lower standover height.

Pricewise they're very close, and the LBS here said the new Yukon will be out in 6 weeks, with a completely new design. That may be why shops are pushing the old ones harder (hence also knocking more $$$ off.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I'd go for the Specialized but change the saddle. I've promise to myself I would never ride a Specialized saddle ever again!

ACF

Chimp
Jul 12, 2002
Ok, bought the Specialized this weekend. :) Haven't noticed any problems with the saddle on test rides (its being shipped from Ohio) but we'll see.

Oh, and I thought the Specialized just looked cooler than the Yukon, too. :D

ACF

Chimp
Jul 12, 2002
Originally posted by LittleGrizzly

I just bought the Hardrock, my buddy just bought the Yukon.

Yukon has a better stock seat, chainguard, shifters aren't as good, frame design isn't as good.

Specialized has better frame, better shifters, horrible seat, no chainguard, lower standover height.

Pricewise they're very close, and the LBS here said the new Yukon will be out in 6 weeks, with a completely new design. That may be why shops are pushing the old ones harder (hence also knocking more $$$ off.
After the current sales price (HR Pro dropped from $550) they are close in price. I just couldn't fathom how comparable bikes were $150 apart. The saleman told me that Giant is the biggest bike mfg'er in the world and its all about volume discounts, etc. Who knows...

Jun 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Originally posted by ACF
Ok, bought the Specialized this weekend. :) Haven't noticed any problems with the saddle on test rides (its being shipped from Ohio) but we'll see.

Oh, and I thought the Specialized just looked cooler than the Yukon, too. :D
Hehe, yeah, the Hardrock frame is pretty awesome for the money, and I like the downward sloping top tube. It *looks* more downhill and freeride oriented than the Yukon by a lot.

Oh, and these "Rockster" tires that came on my Hardrock have to go, I almost bit it on some wet rocks and sand yesterday.

Since I bought the smallest frame size for the hardrock (15"), I'm planning on picking up a 400mm seatpost to straighten my legs a little more for XC.