Quantcast

First Impressions of the One Ghost Industries Musashi

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009
oneghostlead.jpg
One Ghost Industries' Musashi downhill bike has been designed and tested in California by dedicated racers, so it was fitting that Squirrel's first test comes in the hills above Laguna Beach. Check out his first impressions of this very sick ride.
---

By Ryan LaBar
Courtesy of Bike Magazine
One Ghost Industries Musashi - $2,300 (Frame with shock)

My first contact with One Ghost Industries came a while ago through a Facebook comment on a post for one of our stories here on bikemag.com. I looked more into the company based mostly on my fascination of its name. I found that the company offered a nice-looking downhill bike called the Musashi and had a booth at the somewhat-local Fontana, California, Winter Series races. A few months later, I found myself in Fontana to race one of the Super D events and stopped by the One Ghost booth. After chatting for a bit with the company’s owner/designer, I lined up a Musashi up for testing.

I arranged to pick up–as well as get a bit of riding time in on–the bike in Laguna Beach due to its close proximity to the Bike and One Ghost offices, and its easy access downhill trails. Because the owner was out of town, the bike would be dropped off by one of One Ghost Industries team riders, Chris Calleros (and his brother who was kind enough to drive the shuttle truck all day). After a quick meet-and-greet, we were barreling down the trail.

oneghost.jpeg

The first thing I noticed with the bike was its suspension design. The Musashi’s suspension linkage is a variation of a short, dual-swing link design—that One Ghost calls the Moto*GP Floating Suspension—in which, the shock floats between the upper and lower links. The axle path starts off in a rearward motion (before going mostly vertically), which on the track helps absorb square-edged hits and seems to provide some extra stability while landing jump or pushing through hard corners.

The suspension feel is smooth and linear during the first two-thirds of travel, easily muting breaking bumps and small-to-medium-sized hits. In the last third or so of travel the shock rate seems to be more progressive and soaks up bigger hits well without bottoming out the suspension. I’m still dialing in the Fox RC4 on the One Ghost for my riding style, but in its current settings, the bike feels better plowing over terrain than it does jumping over it.

The frame appears to be well put together and feels super stiff on jump landings and while holding a line through rocky sections. The geometry numbers on the Musashi are nothing out of the ordinary for a downhill racing bike, so there are no wildcards here.

So far the Musashi has been a riot to ride and I’m getting more and more confident and comfortable on it. I still have a few tweaks to make to my suspension, components and cockpit, but, as of yet, the bike feels like it’ll be delivering some good, fast times.

[fblike]http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250563&p=3791534#post3791534[/fblike]

qikss

Chimp
Apr 15, 2010
laguna
Doesn't really mention much about the bicycle...except where exactly he rode it! :eek:
popular trail...but co'mon people

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I loved them! I had a 2012 in 2011 through a team thing! Was sold on it! Handled amazing! One of those small "family" companies that has a great relationship with the customers!

Anyways my teams on transition now. Needless to say Transition has the same attitude torward their customers and the bikes great!

But that ghost was amazing! didnt get bogged down in rocks, the suspension was amazing on jumps. you could preload and send it so easily! Was just amazing! Walked past the ghost booth at the Pro GRT and the senses started going and I had to take one out for a little while!

Anyone looking at one ghost feel safe buying them! amazing bikes! Also when you buy ghsot you get the whole company partnership sha bang! meaning Csixx Guides and Candy components! Both amazing companies!

Squirrel

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Doesn't really mention much about the bicycle...except where exactly he rode it! :eek:
popular trail...but co'mon people
That was changed on the bikemag site.

It was my first ride on the bike, so I was still getting used to the way it handled, and am still tuning it in. There will be a more comprehensive review on the bike in the future. So far it is riding quite nice though.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
i didn't need your review to figure out what the bike looks like. beyond that, you didn't offer anything of relevance...
a bit grumpy are we??

The suspension feel is smooth and linear during the first two-thirds of travel, easily muting breaking bumps and small-to-medium-sized hits. In the last third or so of travel the shock rate seems to be more progressive and soaks up bigger hits well without bottoming out the suspension. I’m still dialing in the Fox RC4 on the One Ghost for my riding style, but in its current settings, the bike feels better plowing over terrain than it does jumping over it.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I'll give my two cents, i dont know any of this linear/non stuff so...The bike is really stable, soaks up alot of hits without being jarring or overly muted. It pedals really well and seems to really like being thrown into corners. I gotten alot more confident on this bike than with any other. I dont know what my riding style is, hack maybe? But I feel fine just pointing it down the trail and letting go, and in the woods it feels really short and able to snap out of corners/berms.

When it jumps it really feels neutral and lively.I dont worry about it being too snappy yet it flicks itself off lips real comfortably.