Quantcast

First Ride on Hardtail

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ho de ho ho... tonights trail ride was interesting. :eek:

Yesterday I decided I did not have enough sag in my fork and needed to make more use of the available 100mm. Whatever I did - I did it wrong. On the first switchback with roots, rocks and a small ledge I hit my brakes and the fork took a massive dive - wayyyyyyy more than it ever has before. Totally threw me off so I pansied my way the down the next 1/2 mile. These switchbacks descend and loose about 600 feet in about 1.5 miles and are somewhat technical for me. They've always given me trouble.

Once out of the switchbacks things went fairly predictably except that the fork was a little too plush - I'll need to do some experimenting, I never had this dive on my full squishies - the hardtail changes the dynamic I guess.

I crashed 3 times... I took a corner too fast and t-boned a stump in some tight (10") singletrack, got back up and caught my pedal on another stump hidden in the greenery. This section gets a lot of riders so I didn't feel too bad.

The next crash was in a steep and narrow rock garden that is kind of U shaped - I caught my pedal again for some nice pin ball action and took a soft dive into the greenery.

This ride loses about 2000 feet in 7 miles and gains 600 feet in two miles. The first climb was uneventful but the second climb flows quite nicely and a I layed it out. Sweet!!! Too much squish in the fork was noticeble.

I also had my brakes set up wrong at first - not enough modulation available and a bit of instant lock-up because those 185s are powerful. I backed them off and things seemed to improve.

I was riding with my buddy ummbikes (almost a lawyer...) who is taking a break from higher education. I mighty fine time. :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Around here the DH trials and XC trails are all the same... BS, normally a fountain of wisdom, is talking out his ass on this one. :D :D :D

If you need to 'dab'... nuf said. :monkey:
yeah, so what?

im just trying to talk myself into staying with flats and not get psyched out by all you clippy freaks ok? BACK OFF:D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by BurlySurly
yeah, so what?

im just trying to talk myself into staying with flats and not get psyched out by all you clippy freaks ok? BACK OFF:D
Dabbing is unnecessary and clips help train you against dabbing, there's plusses and minuses with both.
If you learn wait til you move to the PacN.W. like you've been talkin about, so that when you come up to a stall, cannot unclip, and crash like an idiot like we all did when we all learned, i can have a good laugh.:p :monkey:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The proof of which is 'better' is which enables a rider to do what he wants to do more easily.

True bunnyhops (starting in a quick manual and using body english to get yourself up onto a picnic table or whatever with that stylie arcing motion) can be done on flats or clips if the rider is skilled...the hack bunnyhops most of us do (wheels level) can be done on either, but clips make it that much easier.

Is one way 'right?' I dunno...whatever lets you clear that log (the one YOU need to get over on YOUR trail on YOUR bike) is good for me. So if your equipment lets you use your legs to control the bike, is it still 'cheating?' By that logic, riding a bike with any component designed to help you control the bike is 'cheating.' But who is there to cheat, anyhow?? So if Joe XC biker uses his clipless pedals to help him maneuver his bike over a log or Jane DH rider uses her clipless to keep her feet on the pedals in the big rock garden or help get some needed air to clear that double, good on them both...it beats dismounting and walking around the obstacle.

Arguing about it is like people arguing rigid/suspension fork, hardtail/FS, canti-v-disc, whatever. Some people prefer the aesthetic of one over another, and get off on the fact that they can equal the performance of someone on higher-tech gear than they're riding, making up the difference with skill. That's cool. Then again, if they were riding the latest gear, who knows how much better they, too, could become?

I say ride what makes you happy. There are no absolutes here.

MD

[One thing I like clips for in technical terrain...being able to generate power anywhere in your pedal stroke with either foot. Taught me not to dab, either. But I ride flats 95% of the time nowadays.]

Edit: Glad you like your hardtail, Serial Midget...it looks like a really nice woods bike...nice and compact and ready to carve things up. I've been DHing on my Nicolai HT recently; it's a rough learning curve, but well worth it.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by MikeD
The proof of which is 'better' is which enables a rider to do what he wants to do more easily.

True bunnyhops (starting in a quick manual and using body english to get yourself up onto a picnic table or whatever with that stylie arcing motion) can be done on flats or clips if the rider is skilled...the hack bunnyhops most of us do (wheels level) can be done on either, but clips make it that much easier.

Is one way 'right?' I dunno...whatever lets you clear that log (the one YOU need to get over on YOUR trail on YOUR bike) is good for me. So if your equipment lets you use your legs to control the bike, is it still 'cheating?' By that logic, riding a bike with any component designed to help you control the bike is 'cheating.' But who is there to cheat, anyhow?? So if Joe XC biker uses his clipless pedals to help him maneuver his bike over a log or Jane DH rider uses her clipless to keep her feet on the pedals in the big rock garden or help get some needed air to clear that double, good on them both...it beats dismounting and walking around the obstacle.

Arguing about it is like people arguing rigid/suspension fork, hardtail/FS, canti-v-disc, whatever. Some people prefer the aesthetic of one over another, and get off on the fact that they can equal the performance of someone on higher-tech gear than they're riding, making up the difference with skill. That's cool. Then again, if they were riding the latest gear, who knows how much better they, too, could become?

I say ride what makes you happy. There are no absolutes here.

MD

[One thing I like clips for in technical terrain...being able to generate power anywhere in your pedal stroke with either foot. Taught me not to dab, either. But I ride flats 95% of the time nowadays.]

Edit: Glad you like your hardtail, Serial Midget...it looks like a really nice woods bike...nice and compact and ready to carve things up. I've been DHing on my Nicolai HT recently; it's a rough learning curve, but well worth it.
Who asked you?!? ;) :p :monkey:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I guess everyone forgot this was a cross country thread were rideable pic-nic tables and bunny hopping loading docks are seldom encountered... :D :D :D

BTW MikeD subtle way to name drop on the Nicolia - ;) ;) ;)

I have a Serotta CSI with full Campy Chorus...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Look in the Lounge at the thread about the new eggbeater platforms. People are starting the inevitable argument there, too.

I'm going to shut up on it all now. I think clips/flats, mech/hydro discs, Avalanche/Romic, Hope/Hayes, hartail/F-s, 26/24" wheels, and the rest of the old saws have been hashed over quite enough already...we need some new topics to waste time with.

Anyhow, I've gotta go and ride my Turner now. Or should I ride the Titus? Oh, shoot, they're both out of comission at the moment, so looks like I need to ride my bronze-anodized Nicolai BMXtb with Shiver SC... :D (It's fun, but it's brutal... :dead: )

MD

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Anyhow, I've gotta go and ride my Turner now. Or should I ride the Titus? Oh, shoot, they're both out of comission at the moment, so looks like I need to ride my bronze-anodized Nicolai BMXtb with Shiver SC... :D (It's fun, but it's brutal... :dead: )

MD
Sweet!!! I collect Trey Y Bikes... :D :D :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Look in the Lounge at the thread about the new eggbeater platforms. People are starting the inevitable argument there, too.

It's alright man we all got reasons to do things...
I argue on here just to see if people buy into my premise when i really have not a clue what i'm talking about. We all have hobbies............:monkey:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Skookum
It's alright man we all got reasons to do things...
I argue on here just to see if people buy into my premise when i really have not a clue what i'm talking about. We all have hobbies............:monkey:
haha, welcome to my world.

;)