Quantcast

First week of weights

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by KrusteeButt

What?! are you tryin' to say it's my fault?

I'm tryin' to get this back to the weight lifting conversation....in fact, I'm doing push ups right now! Yeah, yeah that's right! Feel the burn!
:D
LOL actually, funny thing is I started reading this thread and then started doing situps. Guilted me into it lol :D

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
OOoooooooh boy wish I was here earlier I dont even know how one would enter this thread at this point:think: ;)

I was teaching spin this am and I actually stayed after with my class and taught them some core strengthening exercises. It was really fun... I wish I could show you all what I learned in my class last week! I have a ton of usefull information ... now I just need to start building a clientele. I am now part time at my computer job so I can start focusing on fitness as my career. Maybe we will start a fitness forum with questions and answers and just sharing experiences and info and stuff. OK I just went off on a huge tantgent and I am now babbling.... hmmmm be back shortly:think: :D

BTW Congrats on gettin back in the gym HEidi...... oh and about those muscle head men... MTBChick is right they are in their own little worlds.. so dont even be bothered:rolleyes: :p

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

I personally prefer hanging knee raises....I think those are the best....but that's my OPINION. :D
We're still talking about weights right???

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Heidi

I was surprised that nothing really hurts and I'm not that sore. I did pretty light weights and 25 reps, just enough weight to where stuff was shaking in order to push out the 25 each time. When I flex the muscles they are definitely tired feeling. I have tonight off and more lifting and spin class tomorrow.

Oh one more thing... Heidi I know you are an endurance athlete and you have mentioned that you put muscle on really easily and you dont want to get too bulky, but in my opinion 25 reps is too much. YOu can cut down on your gym time by doing 15 reps (20 at the most) and supersetting your exercises, which means moving back and forth between 2 or more exercises without resting..... this will keep your heart rate and endurance up. I dont know just a thought... Here would be an example on a back day: moving between Lat pull downs and cable rows...... 15 reps/15 reps and then a short rest maybe 30 seconds and then back to 15/15 back to back.. Does that make any sense:rolleyes: ;)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

Purely opinion....you go with what works for you.
I personally prefer hanging knee raises....I think those are the best....but that's my OPINION. :D
Perhaps, but my opinion was based on reading that situps are bad for your back and neck, and that crunches isolate the abs better. But I'm with you.....hanging knee raises are my "favorite" ab exercise. (Let's face it, working the abs sucks).

:monkey:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by JOJO

Oh one more thing... Heidi I know you are an endurance athlete and you have mentioned that you put muscle on really easily and you dont want to get too bulky, but in my opinion 25 reps is too much. YOu can cut down on your gym time by doing 15 reps (20 at the most) and supersetting your exercises, which means moving back and forth between 2 or more exercises without resting..... this will keep your heart rate and endurance up. I dont know just a thought... Here would be an example on a back day: moving between Lat pull downs and cable rows...... 15 reps/15 reps and then a short rest maybe 30 seconds and then back to 15/15 back to back.. Does that make any sense:rolleyes: ;)
Yes, I didn't know there was a term for it, but I am "supersetting" my excercises. You are right, I don't want bulk, I just want my muscles to be able to take a lot more before they get tired. I want to beat the hell outta them in the gym so that in races they stay more fresh feeling! Thanks JOJO and everyone else who has given their input, I have learned a lot.:D

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO

Purely opinion....you go with what works for you.
Yea they are good but thats a really advanced exercise and unless you have core strength and stability which about 85 -90% of our society does not have you can really put your lower back at risk and you are not going to get alot out of it. I can tell you how to test your core strength if anyone is interested.

jeez just tell me if i am being really annoying with this stuff guys. i am just giving my opinion :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by gecko

That's what I meant, situps hurt my back. I just grew up calling them situps for some reason...
I get additional ab exercise when the remote control is on the coffee table and I have to reach for it. :D

JOJO: HIT US WITH THAT FITNESS KNOWLEDGE! Any free advice from a personal trainer is always welcome, in my opinion! :)

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

Perhaps, but my opinion was based on reading that situps are bad for your back and neck, and that crunches isolate the abs better. But I'm with you.....hanging knee raises are my "favorite" ab exercise. (Let's face it, working the abs sucks).

:monkey:
Actually....I have to admit....I LOVE working my abs.

And yeah, the back/neck thing about sit-ups does occur a lot...but almost every trainer that I've talked to has said that the reason it's hard on the back/neck is because it's so easy to do sit-ups incorrectly.
What I usually like to do is start with the hangers, 3 sets, trying to rest only a little in between each set...and that's mostly to just give my forearms a break. Then go straight to crunches...and mix 'em up a lot. Sets of 8-10 normal, then 8-10 slowly (2 sec. up, 2 sec down), then squeeze a final one and hold it, pulsing for 8-10 seconds. Change leg positions a lot. After many sets of that, go to obliques. I try to not concentrate too much on # of sets but on amount of time. I try to go at least 10 minutes, but shoot for 15 minutes of hard-core ab work. By this time you should be feeling a pretty consistent burn and crying for your mommy.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada

Actually....I have to admit....I LOVE working my abs.

And yeah, the back/neck thing about sit-ups does occur a lot...but almost every trainer that I've talked to has said that the reason it's hard on the back/neck is because it's so easy to do sit-ups incorrectly.
What I usually like to do is start with the hangers, 3 sets, trying to rest only a little in between each set...and that's mostly to just give my forearms a break. Then go straight to crunches...and mix 'em up a lot. Sets of 8-10 normal, then 8-10 slowly (2 sec. up, 2 sec down), then squeeze a final one and hold it, pulsing for 8-10 seconds. Change leg positions a lot. After many sets of that, go to obliques. I try to not concentrate too much on # of sets but on amount of time. I try to go at least 10 minutes, but shoot for 15 minutes of hard-core ab work. By this time you should be feeling a pretty consistent burn and crying for your mommy.
Wow, that sounds good. I wish I had somewhere to do that...I work out at home so it's kinda tough. I used to have a chin up bar, which was great, I love doing chinups too...until it tore a hole in the wall...then the door frame, then I stopped using it :eek:

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Heidi

You can't see me, but I'm raising my hand!!
Hehehehehe ok lemme try to explain... its easier to show but lets see:

Drill to find your core strength:

Tips: works best in pairs because the other person can make sure your back stays still.....and they will know if you cheat:D

1) Start by finding what is called your "Neutral Spine"..... this is basically the position your spine is in when you have perfect posture. THe best way to find this is to stand up straight and put your hands on your hips... now pretend you are holding a bucket of water (yes i know a bucket,...... just pretend guys:rolleyes: ) First pour the bucket of water out onto the floor in front of you ... and then bring it all the way back (kind of similar to a pelvic tilt).... once you find those two extremes... hips forward and back stop in the middle ... this is your neutral spine... PLease tell me if this makes no sense its so hard to explain..........

(Shoulder retracted, head back and back in alignment)

OK work on this and I will be back my hands are tired. Oh and yes your coworkers will look at you like you are nuts:D

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by gecko

Wow, that sounds good. I wish I had somewhere to do that...I work out at home so it's kinda tough. I used to have a chin up bar, which was great, I love doing chinups too...until it tore a hole in the wall...then the door frame, then I stopped using it :eek:
Well, the chin-up bar helps a lot...I've actually got an apparatus specifically for that...it's self-standing, doesn't attach to the wall...only about $50-60 (USD) from SportMart.
Anyhow, you don't have to have it though. The main thing you're doing is working the lower abs when you do the hangers. You can still get a good lower ab workout just off the end of a chair or something like that. Just sit on the edge of the chair, balance with your hands (note: the further back your hands go, the less work you're doing!) Pull your knees up to your chest, squeeze the abs the whole time. It really helps to try to actually visualize in your head that the muscles in your lower abs are doing the work. Try to even squeeze your butt as you get to the top...believe it or not, this helps get a final little ab crunch in there.
This is also a great way for women to get a good lower ab workout because (no offense intended) most women don't have the arm strength to hold themselves up to do the hanging type.

Important note....as you fatigue with ab exercises, you tend to arch your back foward....bad bad bad! A friend made this suggestion to me and it really helped: when you're on your back doing crunches (or anything like that...you get the picture), imagine a push-button is on the floor under the small of your back...your goal is to keep that button depressed the ENTIRE time. This visualization helps to keep you thinking about keeping your back on the floor, and you get a much more beneficial workout, plus it helps strengthen the lower back.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by JOJO

Hehehehehe ok lemme try to explain... its easier to show but lets see:

Drill to find your core strength:

Tips: works best in pairs because the other person can make sure your back stays still.....and they will know if you cheat:D

1) Start by finding what is called your "Neutral Spine"..... this is basically the position your spine is in when you have perfect posture. THe best way to find this is to stand up straight and put your hands on your hips... now pretend you are holding a bucket of water (yes i know a bucket,...... just pretend guys:rolleyes: ) First pour the bucket of water out onto the floor in front of you ... and then bring it all the way back (kind of similar to a pelvic tilt).... once you find those two extremes... hips forward and back stop in the middle ... this is your neutral spine... PLease tell me if this makes no sense its so hard to explain..........

(Shoulder retracted, head back and back in alignment)

OK work on this and I will be back my hands are tired. Oh and yes your coworkers will look at you like you are nuts:D
I miss read the "pretend" part and now the carpet is all wet around my desk.:D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

That's because golf is STUPID.
I agree!!!!!!! Several of my friends started playing golf last year, and they have been trying to get me to play. I did once it was pouring rain, We just did a long bike ride so I felt it was OK to play. But here are my thoughts on golf.

1) I'm too young to play golf
2)Golf is for the older and retired 65+
3)Golf is a waste of a nice sunny day when you could be riding
4)I'm too young to play golf
5)I feel that when I am unable to pedal my bike its time to play golf
6) I already play an olds man game......Slow pitch Softball (I'm still forced to run)
7)I'm too youg to play golf
8)Golf is stupid

Old_Dude

Monkey
Speaking of golf - I really don't consider any activity a "sport" if you can do it well and still weigh 300 pounds.

Same with bowling, or flying radio controlled airplanes - these aren't sports. Baseball is "barely" a sport in my category. I remember seeing Willy Stargell smoking a cigarette between innings during the (always rigged) World Series. That was sports-blasphemy!!!

I guess, being a newbie here, I better be more careful not to upset anyone.

Sorry, I just gotta be me.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I enjoy golfing. However, I consider it an activity, not necessarily a sport. The game is very challenging and really tests you mentally. I used to make fun of golf too, until I started playing three years ago. Now I see how well the pros play and I just don't understand how they can be so good.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I enjoy golfing. However, I consider it an activity, not necessarily a sport. The game is very challenging and really tests you mentally. I used to make fun of golf too, until I started playing three years ago. Now I see how well the pros play and I just don't understand how they can be so good.
Please no golf talk in the fitness forum, it doesn't belong.

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
speaking of 'dropping it'....have you ever been that guy at the gym...you know, the one that didn't use collars on the bar...and the weights fell off one side and then WHAM, the other side drops...and it echoes throughout the gym! :rolleyes:
Gotta admit...when I was a little guy in high school, that happened to me. Of course, it HAD to be while the wrestling team was working out!

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
speaking of 'dropping it'....have you ever been that guy at the gym...you know, the one that didn't use collars on the bar...and the weights fell off one side and then WHAM, the other side drops...and it echoes throughout the gym! :rolleyes:
Gotta admit...when I was a little guy in high school, that happened to me. Of course, it HAD to be while the wrestling team was working out!
I would have paid lots of $$ to get that on film:D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Nope...never happened to me. But I've seen it happen to others. I had a bit of a different experience once...when I first started doing bench presses, I used too much weight and tried one too many reps. I had to squal for help to get the bar back up. Boy, I felt like a major schmuck that time! Now I've got MBC spotting me. ;)

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
1. Golf is NOT stupid!

2. Girls who think golf is stupid ARE stupid!

3. starting week 7 of training - where have you all been?

4. Legs - the secret, or at least this works for me, is to be consistent. after the first week (brutal) it gets easier as long as you do legs at least twice a week.

5. okay, girls aren't stupid. :rolleyes:

that's all.

Good luck at the gym, oh and I only have one flight of stairs to go down after legs... i know your pain.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
last race of the season was Oct 6. I wish I lived more south so I could ride/race longer

:(

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by DHRacer
last race of the season was Oct 6. I wish I lived more south so I could ride/race longer

Didn't you take a break at all? You're supposed to give your body an all out relaxation period after racing and before training so you don't completely burn out. I took a few weeks and just did piddly little fun rides without much focus, just fun riding. It was a good time to catch up with people I hadn't ridden with in awhile. I didn't even go to the gym for those few weeks, it was weird!:)

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
I know, but I didn't start out just blowing out the gates... I started with light weight and didn't push myself too hard on the cardio the first couple of weeks...
I have a lot to accomplish by next spring... my cardio endurance was my biggest weakness this last season. I am racing expert next year and need to make up about a minute in my times... so, the only way I am going to do that is get started now... I didn't want to lose any time and we as I'm sure most of us will admit, we are our own worst enemy... so, I figured if I wasn't doing anything I was being a lazy slacka$$...

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by DHRacer
I know, but I didn't start out just blowing out the gates... I started with light weight and didn't push myself too hard on the cardio the first couple of weeks...
I have a lot to accomplish by next spring... my cardio endurance was my biggest weakness this last season. I am racing expert next year and need to make up about a minute in my times... so, the only way I am going to do that is get started now... I didn't want to lose any time and we as I'm sure most of us will admit, we are our own worst enemy... so, I figured if I wasn't doing anything I was being a lazy slacka$$...
I hear ya, I'm racing expert next year too! At least you didn't blow out of the gates. Seriously, I have done a lot of reading and studying as well as talking to professionals about this whole training thang and the rest in between seasons is necessary. Good luck with your training, just know that I'll be suffering right along with you! :thumb: :thumb:

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
I know, last winter I think I over trained and kind of got lathargic about is mid Feb.
One thing I've read lately too was that every 5 to 6 weeks... in addition to changing up your routine it's good to take a week completely off too so I and goign to try that every 8 weeks to take a week off and try to keep it all fresh and fun.
One thing I did last winter that I am NOT doing this winter is training every day. I would do upper body MWF and lower TTH... This time I am going only MWF doing fewer excercises (per body part) and doing upper and lower and cardio. Like I said I over did it last winter and am not going to make the same mistake again.
Thanks for the support, I will think of that when I drag my sorry butt to the squat rack... some where out there, some one is suffering just like me:D
good luck... I am planning on going to sea otter, so that will be my first hard expert race... so that's my target date to be ready... are you going?