Quantcast

Fish Sauce?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
this stuff is freakin nasty.

we bought some last week to make some curry with. I put less then half of what the recipe called for and it pretty much ruined the dish.

we threw the rest of the bottle out....

does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
pnj said:
this stuff is freakin nasty.

we bought some last week to make some curry with. I put less then half of what the recipe called for and it pretty much ruined the dish.

we threw the rest of the bottle out....

does anyone have any experience with this stuff?
It's in 99% of commerical Phad Thai. I agree it's nasty...but like Phad Thai.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
yea, we LOVE asian food. but this sauce was yuck yuck yucky. Pad Thai doesn't taste or smell like ass.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I use it all the time. Mostly in pho, panang, and fried rice. I agree it smells like ass, and on it's own is horrible, but certain recipes just don't taste the same without it.

edit: I just found this describing how it's made. :blah:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
BikeGeek said:
I use it all the time. Mostly in pho, panang, and fried rice. I agree it smells like ass, and on it's own is horrible, but certain recipes just don't taste the same without it.

edit: I just found this describing how it's made. :blah:

what recipe do you use for Pho?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
oh. I live in asian country.... the Pho we get doesn't need to be doctored in any way. I would ask the locals how they cook with/use fish sauce but they don't speak english and it's all I speak....:(

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Fish Sauce is the salt component in Vietnamese, Thai, and other pacific rim cooking. It is used like soy sauce in Chinese cooking and regular salt in French, Italian, and American cooking.

Yeah it's way funky on it's own but you wouldn't want a mouthful of plain old salt either. It adds depth of flavor and the funk doesn't (usually) come through in the finished dish. Classic Vietnamese and Thai are all about balance, without fish sauce a lot of dishes would be too sweet, too spicy, too acidic, etc.

Most Vietnamese restaurants have a version of nuoc cham, the classic dipping sauce that is all about the balance of sweet, salty, spicy, acidic. Super simple, probably my favorite dipping sauce, and also great dressing for slaw-style salads: 2:2:1 ratio of fish sauce, fresh lime juice, and sugar, a few shreds of carrot and a few slices of fresh chili. Just mix it all together and let it sit for a few minutes...yum...

Or try marinating pork chops in fish sauce, ginger, green onion, sugar, and a little sesame oil...double yum....

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
pnj said:
oh. I live in asian country.... the Pho we get doesn't need to be doctored in any way. I would ask the locals how they cook with/use fish sauce but they don't speak english and it's all I speak....:(
It doesn't need to be doctored because it, the fish sauce, is already in there. I love to drink it!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
well, I smelled the fish sauce we bought, which wasn't 'bad' as the stores have a high fish sauce turn around where I live. (asian land)

I thought, "I can't put the amount they ask in my dish, that is way too much, I'll just put a tad in...."
it didn't help at all. had I not spent so much time on the meal, I would have thrown the whole thing out. it was not good. it tasted like nasty fish sauce....

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
OGRipper said:
Most Vietnamese restaurants have a version of nuoc cham, the classic dipping sauce that is all about the balance of sweet, salty, spicy, acidic. Super simple, probably my favorite dipping sauce, and also great dressing for slaw-style salads: 2:2:1 ratio of fish sauce, fresh lime juice, and sugar, a few shreds of carrot and a few slices of fresh chili. Just mix it all together and let it sit for a few minutes...yum...

Or try marinating pork chops in fish sauce, ginger, green onion, sugar, and a little sesame oil...double yum....

That is the stuff that I get with my imperial roll, or with my cold rice noodles, right?

MAN, I LOVE the cold rice noodles with BBq pork, mint, cucumber, cilantro, carrot, Radish, peanuts lettuce....

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
OGRipper said:
Fish Sauce is the salt component in Vietnamese, Thai, and other pacific rim cooking. It is used like soy sauce in Chinese cooking and regular salt in French, Italian, and American cooking.

Yeah it's way funky on it's own but you wouldn't want a mouthful of plain old salt either. It adds depth of flavor and the funk doesn't (usually) come through in the finished dish. Classic Vietnamese and Thai are all about balance, without fish sauce a lot of dishes would be too sweet, too spicy, too acidic, etc.

I knew this Cambodian chick that swore by Fresh Berries with Fich Sauce.
:blah:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
-BB- said:
That is the stuff that I get with my imperial roll, or with my cold rice noodles, right?

MAN, I LOVE the cold rice noodles with BBq pork, mint, cucumber, cilantro, carrot, Radish, peanuts lettuce....

vermacilly (spelling is way off....) noodle bowls? so tastey!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
-BB- said:

Yah man, that's the stuff. And me likes the cold rice noodle bowls too, my fave is roasted pork and imperial rolls combo.

I can't get enough of that sauce, there's this Vietnamese place in Oakland where they have like a one liter bottle of it on the table, solves the problem I have at other places where I'm always asking for more.

It's super easy to make and lasts for a while in the fridge, just cover it.

There are lots of variations but the key is the balance of salty (fish sauce), sour (lime juice), and sugar (sweet). 2:2:1 works for me but sometimes you need to doctor it to find the right balance, but that's true of any cooking and to me learning how to season is probably the most important cooking skill. Some people add a little garlic, most add a little chili, some use vinegar instead of (or in combination with) the lime juice, some add water to thin it out. It's open to interpretation, I just ran a quick search and got a bunch of different versions. Mine is easier than most.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
pnj said:
Oh, it's in there, but I like it a with a little more. I usually load it up with bean sprouts, peppers, and hot sauce too. Pho 75 used to be an after-urban tradition. The first time I was there, I just copied what those around me were adding. I was a little grossed out at first due to all the hot sauce causing a lot of vietnamese people to sweat in their soup. But it's good soup.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BikeGeek said:
The first time I was there, I just copied what those around me were adding. I was a little grossed out at first due to all the hot sauce causing a lot of vietnamese people to sweat in their soup.

Yuck, never seen that, but I guess I don't watch that closely...

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Pho 75 used to be an after-urban tradition
Man I love Pho 75, I used to go to the one in College Park, I go to the one off rt.50 every once in a while but it is always packed so I settle for Pho Sate down the street.

Have you guys ever had Vietnamese Sandwiches? French bread, pate, ham, butter, with pickled carrots and other veggies, they are so good...there is a Place on Grahm Rd in Falls Church that is 24/7 that has them.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
mmmmm... i love fish sauce. I get this stuff at the vietnameese place nearby, #178, vermicelli on greens (cilantro, mint, sprouts, letttuce, basil) with shrimp on top with roasted peanuts. it is so good & it comes with a bowl of fish to pour over it & of course Siracha.

It is deffinetly for a different palate.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
jmvar said:
Have you guys ever had Vietnamese Sandwiches? French bread, pate, ham, butter, with pickled carrots and other veggies, they are so good...there is a Place on Grahm Rd in Falls Church that is 24/7 that has them.
damn that sounds good. I have a new culinary mission now. :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
jmvar said:
Oh yeah I love 'em. I'm pretty sure they are called "Bahn Mi" or something similar. I go for the grilled pork when I can get it, but either way that is one tasty 'wich. There's a place in oakland where I can get a super fresh one for $2!! I get two to go and stuff myself silly...

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
OGRipper said:
Yah man, that's the stuff. And me likes the cold rice noodle bowls too, my fave is roasted pork and imperial rolls combo.

I can't get enough of that sauce, there's this Vietnamese place in Oakland where they have like a one liter bottle of it on the table, solves the problem I have at other places where I'm always asking for more.

It's super easy to make and lasts for a while in the fridge, just cover it.

There are lots of variations but the key is the balance of salty (fish sauce), sour (lime juice), and sugar (sweet). 2:2:1 works for me but sometimes you need to doctor it to find the right balance, but that's true of any cooking and to me learning how to season is probably the most important cooking skill. Some people add a little garlic, most add a little chili, some use vinegar instead of (or in combination with) the lime juice, some add water to thin it out. It's open to interpretation, I just ran a quick search and got a bunch of different versions. Mine is easier than most.
If you make it into SF at all, check out Tu Lan on 6th and Market.
The place is a DIVE, but the food ROCKS!!