Quantcast

Fit Ball Training

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
So what is the deal with this Fit Ball Stuff? A friend of mine is a trainer and I told him my regular routine of sit-ups, pushups, bi's tri's and riding the trainer. He said I should consider some Fit Ball excersizes to round out the mix.

What do you do on an inflatable ball? Has any one tried this and what does it do for you that regular lifting doesn't do?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Jo is a fitball instructor. We have a ball here which I use several times per week. It ads a lot of range of motion to all your exercises - allowing you to work more muscles in fewer exercises. And its an ab destroyer. Nothing gets at your abs like the ball does.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
After discussing it with JOJO - I bought a fitball too. I use it mostly for core exercises. Like RM said, it RULES for abs. The ball adds an element of balance challenge to exercises that increases their intensity.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
One example is doing pushups with your shins on the ball. This allows you to roll forward and back during the push up to really put the hurt on. Also, while extended like this, your abs are doing a lot of work stabalizing your entire body over the ball.

The "roll out" just nukes your abs, but I'd have to show you that one.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
When ever i'm at the GYM at the end of my weights i do use i fit ball a little. I do this wierd thing were you go in the position for a push up but go further and lie on your for arms put you for arms on the ball and balnce with your back straight it helps balance abbs and back. It's all part of some training plan a personnal trainer made me.

zibbler

Monkey
That looks pretty interesting. How does the ab work on the ball affect the back? I have a bad back, so ab work is hard for me to do cuz it hurts my back, yet I know if I strengthen my abs it will help my back. It's a catch 22. If that thing doesn't hurt the back while working the abs, I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by zibbler
That looks pretty interesting. How does the ab work on the ball affect the back? I have a bad back, so ab work is hard for me to do cuz it hurts my back, yet I know if I strengthen my abs it will help my back. It's a catch 22. If that thing doesn't hurt the back while working the abs, I think it would be a worthwhile investment.
I don't know - I haven't experienced any back problems using it.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Zibbler i wouldn't use the fit ball if you have a bad back it might make it worse.
There's a much better way to do crunches which i think would also put less strain on the back.

First you lie in the same position as you would for a normal sit up or crunch with you legs 90 degrees. X your arms on your chest and tilt your pelvis up using your abbs don't use you legs. It takes a couple of tryes to figure it out. After you tilt you plevis up slowly bring the rest of your upper body up. You won't be able to go as far up when you do it slow and hold your self there for 2 seconds with you abbs flexed as much as possible. After 2 second come down rest for a second and repeat about 15 times. Then do another set after you rest for bit.

It might not your your back but you'da have to try to see.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I got the ball a while ago and love it. I can do almost anything on it and not need a bench. Help with balance and your balancing muscles.

And my god your abs get destroyed. :)

BTW I did try to stand on one and kept getting back on. You eventually gain the balance and build the strenght to maintain a zen like ball state :)