Quantcast

Five Tens yet again

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
if you thought the freeriders were heavy, definitely don't get the impacts! i've never been able to warm up to the freeriders, personally. i love my impacts.

would be interested to hear feedback from anyone running the 2FOs...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
maybe the impact xvi would be worth a shot? i've always run the "classic" impact lows and while they feel heavy in-hand, i've never noticed it while riding and i really like the thickness of the sole versus the impact classics i tried, which always felt a bit too thin.

per the five ten site:

freerider pro: 338g each
freerider classic: weight not listed on site
impact xvi: 363g each
impact low: 552g each

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Been using my freeriders for years now and still love them. They're the only flat pedal shoe that I have seen that are durable enough for flat pedals with pins which have torn up several pairs of my shoes before getting my freeriders.

There is the newer version Freerider Pro but I don't know anyone that has them yet. They look a little tougher (not sure about the weight compared to the normal freeriders.

http://www.fiveten.com/us/bike/freerider-pro-black-red

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
IIRC ... Mrs. @6thElement wears those and had great things to say about 'em.
I wear Freerides or Impacts. I wish the Freeride had a stiffer sole, but meh.
She loves the fit of the original 2FO's (new v2 just came out), but the soles get chewed up within 6 months by the pedal pins, big gouges out of them where the rear pedal pins go - I'll try to snap a pic later.

She's currently loving a pair of Freeriders for trail rides (like @Adventurous) and finds them better than the 2FO's - stickier rubber and not wearing anything like the 2FO sole. But found the sole wasn't stiff enough for DH so stuck with a worn pair of 2FO's for the end of this season. She'll likely try to find something else to use for DH next year.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I've got a set of Freeriders that I probably have 4 or 5 rides on at this point and they are pretty super. Reasonable weight, decent fit, decent performance, can't really comment on the durability at this point. I'm happy with them.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Original 2FO's - Typically after 6 months or less they're chewed up like below. I think she's had 3 or 4 pairs in the last couple of years. We normally ride trails 4+ times per week.
20171003_080001_resized.jpg

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I bought Pearl Izumi with boa fastener. Light, stiff, tighten and loosen with a turn of the knob and pull up the knob to release tension which makes them a breeze to get on and off. A bit expensive at $160 but they have not come lose even during a crash. They just are not good to drive in. Plus, you can ride them with flats or clipless if you add the cleats. I don't remember what the name of the pair is, i can tell you when i go home for lunch and look at the box.

EDIT: After sitting on the toilet at work, i remembered what they were.
http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1220043_-1_400034__400034

Last edited:

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI
I have a pair of the Sam Hills. Just an impact low in a more palatable color, for an extra ten bucks. I think they are clunky when I am walking around, but I don't notice it on the bike. When they wear out I might try one of the Impact XVIIIIVXXX!111 shoes, or maybe a freerider pro. Anyone out there that has ridden impacts and freerider pros that can comment on the relative sole stiffness between the two? I likem stiff.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Got a "newer" pair of Freeriders last year (on clearance early '17, replacing ones i bought in '14) - they seem lighter than the '14's and with clearance price, I put in some high arch support Super Feet inserts - nice and stiff.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have a pair of the spitfires that I like. Not so massive as my karvers, and still plenty grippy. Not anywhere as stiff, though.