Quantcast

FiveTen Hellcat Pro - Anyone using them?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Looking at getting some new shoes and the FiveTen Hellcat Pros look pretty decent. Is anyone using them and have any thoughts to share?

My feet are fairly wide so finding shoes that fit correctly is tough. They'll be used for everything from DH, general trail rides and farting around on the dumb cross bike.

I'm currently using fugly FiveTen Maltese Falcon Race shoes. They might look hideous but they are very comfortable and are half decent to walk around the bush in. The upper portion of the shoe is still in okay shape, but the soles are starting to get chewed apart by my pedals and are separating from the shoe in a few spots. Still good for a while, but I want a second pair on standby for when these poop the bed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
worth noting - i started riding clipless not long after i started mountain biking. it was before i was able to drive, because i remember having to ride to the bike shop to buy the pedals and shoes. the ride home first time on clipless was an interesting experience. so this was probably circa '97- '98.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I recently got the Hellcat Pros, and had the black/yellow Hellcat prior. The new Pro version is stiffer and lighter than the old, I'm a big fan.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I dont understand the word clipless.
I mean, youre riding clipped in. How they hell can they be clipless? :disgust1:

These are toe clips. See how nicely these lesbian hiking shoes fit right into them. You can often still see these being ridden by someone with a nature colored fanny pack filled with dog treats. Riding without these is clipless.
toe-clips.jpg

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ive been riding everything on flats since i started riding bmx at age 6.
Tried a year clipped in on the xc and the dh bike and couldnt get used to it. I now mostly use it as an excuse whenever i cant keep up with my xc riding buddies who all ride spds... :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Ive been riding everything on flats since i started riding bmx at age 6.
Tried a year clipped in on the xc and the dh bike and couldnt get used to it. I now mostly use it as an excuse whenever i cant keep up with my xc riding buddies who all ride spds... :D
Ha, flats count too. This is further proof that the bike industry did not just now start being derpy. That it has a long history of derpiness.
Also, I have spent the majority of my riding on clipless pedals over the years, but a few months ago I switched to flats for trail riding. Since then, I have rode nothing but a slack titanium hardtail and flat pedals. Not saying it is better, just saying it is fun.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm still confused, but I'm also waiting for @Gary to chime in to say he rides nothing but the pedal axle since Washington crossed the Potomac :banana:.
TRUE STORY(ish)

I don't ride stealth rubber EVAR.. .and I do remove half the pins from all my pedals.
and jam my foot between the pedal axle and crank arm if I NEED extra grip at times.

WTF is Washington? Some undiscovered hole across the pond I imagine. ;)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hold on!

are you guys talking about SPD shoes?

I actually do ride those too. (AM45s in the mud and 661 launch in the dry not that it matters)

Stealth rubber AND SPDs???

how fucking shit at keeping your feet on a dandyhorse do you need to be to want that combo in your life?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Chris....

Come to the darkside and ride some flats. All the gomers I ride with are on clipless.
At least I will have some company at the big bike hill.

I'm now slow enough that you will have company as you get used to being your own foot contact control board.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't know about the shoes you asked about, but since you asked about shoes, and i have shoes, I thought I'd offer my experience. I ride the Shimano M89 in the wide version. they're great. pedal well, light enough, wide enough, walk well enough, and well priced.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
No idea on Hepcats,but even my 9 year old has the endurbro look! Freeload VVIIIIXXIIVII's on sale for 50 bones clearance on 5 and dime site! His size 7 foot better not grow anymore! gotta squeeze out more value!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Chris....

Come to the darkside and ride some flats. All the gomers I ride with are on clipless.
At least I will have some company at the big bike hill.

I'm now slow enough that you will have company as you get used to being your own foot contact control board.
I'm okay with keeping my shins and back of my calves scar free and not looking like hamburger for half the season. :D

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I haven't found a truly wide mtb shoe yet. I have some mega Sidis and they barely work. Five tens are not wide at all for me. I have the free rider xvi. I'm hoping they stretch out but I'm not holding my breath.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Indeed, but no. Clear as mud? :D
The 'clips' being referred to were plastic discs with slots in them that affixed to the bottom of a cycling shoe. They 'locked' into the slots on the pedals when you tightened the toe straps.
They worked, but were vicious to get in and out of.
(All of this is memories from 35 years ago, so I may be off base)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I recently got the Hellcat Pros, and had the black/yellow Hellcat prior. The new Pro version is stiffer and lighter than the old, I'm a big fan.
Having trouble finding these anywhere in Canaderp.

Do you find the Pro's fit the same as your previous Hellcats? I think I'll have to go try on the Hellcat and then take a gamble and order online from somewhere.

::edit:: $240. Should have not purchased that extra set of pedals the other week. :rofl: https://www.dunbarcycles.com/en/five-ten-hellcat-pro.html?id=10224616&quantity=1

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Having trouble finding these anywhere in Canaderp.

Do you find the Pro's fit the same as your previous Hellcats? I think I'll have to go try on the Hellcat and then take a gamble and order online from somewhere.

::edit:: $240. Should have not purchased that extra set of pedals the other week. :rofl: https://www.dunbarcycles.com/en/five-ten-hellcat-pro.html?id=10224616&quantity=1
For some reason, my email notifications haven't been working lately, and I didn't see this.

Anyway, yeah, fit is the same as the previous Hellcats.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ended up buying both versions of the Hellcat this morning. The Pro version is worth the extra $40. The fit and finish is much nicer.

I really wish all shoes had reinforced lace holes though. I think that has been the failure point of all my shoes over the last few years. The Hellcat on the right has reinforced holes on the outside holes, but nothing on the inner ones, which is weird.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
My Hellcat Pros are still going strong, and I've put a lot of miles on them this year. The toe protectors are especially good, imo. Typically, I wear that area out from chunky hike a bike terrain, or just general uncoordinated movement, but the plastic over the toes on mine have taken tons of hits and other than scuffs, still are in great shape. The material on the uppers doesn't have any crease areas that look like they'll split anytime soon either.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I haven't tried those but I've found FiveTens aren't universal in terms of width. My old Sam Hills and Freeriders were wider than my Freerider VXIs.

Last edited:

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I switched to flats for trail riding.QUOTE]
I hear that. I haven't been riding a year yet, but switched to clipless to give them a try. For new, or chuncky trail systems, i switch back to flats. The only times ive ever wrecked were clipped in since i couldn't break free fast enough. i definitely notice a difference though. When ever i use clips, i never use granny gear or very rarely. Without SPDs, i find myself in granny more often. Right now, I'm more confident on flats since i know i can bail easier, especially on chunky terrain. Ill put clips back on once my skills improve.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My Hellcat Pros are still going strong, and I've put a lot of miles on them this year. The toe protectors are especially good, imo. Typically, I wear that area out from chunky hike a bike terrain, or just general uncoordinated movement, but the plastic over the toes on mine have taken tons of hits and other than scuffs, still are in great shape. The material on the uppers doesn't have any crease areas that look like they'll split anytime soon either.
I like mine, though I did buy the wrong size. Still questioning why I walked out of the shop with a size 10 pair and then used them for 20km. So naturally I'm taking a loss, selling them used and buying another pair.

Curiously, after one ride the soles are already chewed up a bit. Though the cleats definitely could use another shim. Here's mine after one ride.

That might be poo...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The soles on mine look no worse than that after 1000ish miles. The pins on your pedals look like they are a bit tall, try threading those further into the pedal body and you might not need additional cleat shims, and you won't get the set screw crop circles.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I just bought a pair of these, and first impressions are that FiveTen has come a long way in terms of shoe quality. These things are burly as hell, and really well finished. The moisture-repellant upper is what sold me over the normal Hellcats. I'm also pretty pleased that FiveTen has started using "real" insoles rather than assuming that every rider will be throwing in their own set of custom footbeds. Maybe I'm in the minority there, though.

I have yet to install my new pedals on my bike, but it looks like the shoes are going to interfere with my Mallet Es with only 1 shim installed. I'll try reducing the pin height, but I think these things may just require 2 shims on each shoe.

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
Resurrection.

I'm in the market for some new shoes. Interested in the Hellcat Pro as well.
Anymore real world feedback on these?
My current shoe is an old Shimano DH. (cant remember the style) in size 11.5. Do the Five Tens fit similar to shimanos? Don't have anywhere local to try any on.