Quantcast

"Fix" for Swinger SPV shock adjustment

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Just put a 4-Way Swinger on my AC and had a heck of a time getting the SPV to hold air (leaks out when you detach the pump) when setting the SPV pressure. I understand this is VERY common and is truly a PIA. So I pulled out the valve core and filed off about 2/3 of the plunger head (just a few thousandths of an inch), cleaned the core, and put it back in. Bingo, now the valve closes before the o-ring breaks the seal when you remove the pump hose.

Takes just a few minutes - no more fighting with the valve. Just push the plunger all the way in before you hit it with the file, so you don't bend the plunger shaft.

bikeCOLORADO

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Colorado Springs, USA!
I've been using shock pumps for going on 4 years now and have always wrestled with that problem myself. Started out on a 2001 NRS-1 with SID on front and rear, then a 2002 AC Air Lite (sid on the rear)...now a 2003 AC-1.

I just bought a new shock pump from Performance and it SOLVES THE PROBLEM!

Hurricane NoLeak Shock Pump

It's an ingenious...and simple little device. It works GREAT! It's difficult to describe how it works.
You thread it on and pump it up. At this point the entire system is charged/pressurized including the shock and the pump hose. There is a "threaded plunger" on the shock head that you unscrew 2-3 turns before removing the head off the shock. This releases the valve core (sealing the air in the shock), but keeps the pressure in the system (hose) because of an o-ring. You then unthread the head and the pressure in the hose is then released.

It works.