Quantcast

Fixing Torn Tubeless Tires

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
In the past 6 months I've been on tear (literally) by putting small holes in my rear UST tires. Not tears but not small enough for the sealant to fix. DH or trail tires the rears all seem to puncture. Being 6'5" 230 isn't helping so I'm after a solution until my tummy tuck. I'm totally sold on tubeless tires but am super bummed about the number of near new tires littering my garage with rips any them.

What is the best way to repair torn tubeless tires? I'm thinking gorilla tape over some shoe goo should fix the small holes.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I fixed a normal DH tire with a 1 inch long cut on the sidewall with the same method you mentioned. I used hockey tape instead though. Don't be afraid to put a generous amount of layers on the inside and outside of the tire. My ghetto fix has lasted me pretty much a whole summer. The tape started to peel off mid season, so I just removed it and applied new layers.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've tried this method: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Repairing-A-Torn-Tire-2011.html a few times, because I'm in the same boat as you: since the beginning of the summer, I have gone through 5 new rear tires... no bueno.

I've found that the Stans starts to eat away at the rubber cement in about 3 weeks and the patch is rendered useless. I've seen people actually stitch the tear before applying the patch, but I'm not sure what difference the stitch would make since my problem is with the glue.... worth a try anyways.