Quantcast

Flagstaff Climbfest

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
It was a beautiful day dawning as we packed up to head out 5:30 AM Sunday morning. We threw 3 bikes in the back of the truck and hung two more off the back. We were just short of getting the 6th one in with gear so we had to drive two vehicles. We arrived at the trail around 8:00 and headed up Schultz Creek. Joe Murray would be pleased as we ran into a group of 6-8 riders all on Voodoo cycles. In fact that was the predominant brand of bike encountered on the trail during the day. After a good 3.5 mile warm up climb we went left at the Y and crossed the Sunset parking lot and started off on the Little Bear Trail. After a long haul upward, the group split at Brookbank and Sunset. Four went on to do the Jedi trail and some technical riding while Reactor and I raced down Sunset and Schultz back to the parking lot and the cold beer. After a meal and a pitcher at Bun Huggers it was back down the hill into the heat. A great day of riding was had by all.

All packed up.

Welcome to Flagstaff.

Let's roll!

One of the steeper climbs on Schultz.

Map check.

Over 8000 feet elevation and climbing.

The view from the Sunset parking lot.

Part of the Voodoo contingency encountered on the trail

Off they go!

Chugging up Litttle Bear.

Along Little Bear.

The overlook on Little Bear.

The view from up here.

At the top, all downhill from here.

The post ride cerveza.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I've seen Reactor in better moods. Get that man a beer!

Looks like a nice run. I was gonna take the singlespeed. Glad I backed out. Ha.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Well damn, I was on a mini-vacation to Flag this weekend as well. Had no idea there were other monkeys about. I have no pictures to post as usual, but the riding is 100% ghostrider approved prime singletrack. I'll be going back for sure.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
One of my fav loops in Flagg, though we always climbed Elden road to the catwalk. That little bear to schultz descent is killer.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
ghostrider said:
Well damn, I was on a mini-vacation to Flag this weekend as well. Had no idea there were other monkeys about. I have no pictures to post as usual, but the riding is 100% ghostrider approved prime singletrack. I'll be going back for sure.
Sorry we missed you!

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
When I was in AZ. I wanted to up there but ran out of time, looks nice.....great pics like usual......

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
NICE! im kinda new up here in flag and havn't gotten a chance to ride every thing yet... i think ill run over to that trail this weekend. did you go out 180 to get to it? its a tad confusing on my map...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
flagstaff was my 1st western bike ride, and i still get goosebumps thinking about how much fun it was to blast down schultz creek...awesome stuff trainwreck, as always!