Quantcast

Flat Tire Defender

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
It is what it is, not everyone can run super low pressures and expect their tires to stay on the rims. 35psi to a larger guy will probably feel like 20psi to a lightweight. I'm about 240lbs with gear/water/etc, 220lbs neked. I'd like to get back to 200lbs and thats the goal, but adding some foam to the tire actually seems a lot easier. haha.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It is what it is, not everyone can run super low pressures and expect their tires to stay on the rims. 35psi to a larger guy will probably feel like 20psi to a lightweight. I'm about 240lbs with gear/water/etc, 220lbs neked. I'd like to get back to 200lbs and thats the goal, but adding some foam to the tire actually seems a lot easier. haha.
:stupid: (on this issue)

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
What about using a tubular?
28" tubular will fit a 27.5 rim just right. You can adjust the pressure to your favourite square edge bumps. It weights around 350g which is close to 13oz and costs very lite if you go for Vittoria Rally or cheap Tufo. A 23mm tubular will fit a 25mm inner width just fine.
I put some more info in a thread Udi started a while ago.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
28" tubular will fit a 27.5 rim just right. You can adjust the pressure to your favourite square edge bumps. It weights around 350g which is close to 13oz and costs very lite if you go for Vittoria Rally or cheap Tufo. A 23mm tubular will fit a 25mm inner width just fine.
Tubular would be more like a procore setup right? I don't think you'll get the "dampening" effect with air vs foam.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Isn't this what the Deaneasy is? http://www.deaneasy.it/en/tubeplus/

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Tubular would be more like a procore setup right? I don't think you'll get the "dampening" effect with air vs foam.
Tubular would definitely be closer to Procore, yes. Then I am not sure if you really need the dampening, my armchair engineering search skills say that it is the dual spring rate offered by the added tubular / foam roll / procore that will improve the way the suspensions are working. More info here https://m.pinkbike.com/news/sam-hill-bike-shwalbe-procore-tires.html

Isn't this what the Deaneasy is? http://www.deaneasy.it/en/tubeplus/
Very similar indeed but more pricey than ghetto!
Here are what I had to say about ghettocore http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/procore-ghettocore-progress-thread.277271/#post-4157464

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
DSCN1470.JPG DSCN1468.JPG
My many many many ProCore failure area.

DSCN1466.JPG
Park Tool Boot repair - prevented the valve from splitting from the runner of Tube.

Never got all up and in it with settings; set the chamber for support, kept the tires fast and sturdy. The valves being rendered useless after time is totally uncalled for. There is all sorts of migration of sealant with Procore.

FTD for the win.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
The thing about all these foam thingys that worries me the most is this:

"DURABILITY
CushCore foam is engineered to withstand repeated pounding and flexing without degradation. It does not absorb liquid and is not affected by tire sealant. Like most performance products, it does have a service life and may become softer over an extended period of use. For optimal performance, we recommend replacing CushCore with every second set of new tires."

Now i expect the FTD to be no different. If that shit gets hammered enough it´ll inevitably give in and become useless. All that for the small price of only 150$
So basically instead of destroying 50$ rims we now destroy 150$ foam inserts.
Please correct me if i´m missing something but as it stands those things only seem to really be worth it in race situations IF you´re willing to pay that amount of money for a potential increase in flat resistance.

Of course maybe even if it gets softer it´ll still do it´s job just fine, but if a manufacturer allready states something like that, i start to get a little suspicious.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
@Loki87 I'm not really interested in these foam ring things either.....but, let's say you do spend $150 to save a $50 hoop, first, I think most 27.5 hoops I've bought are closer to $75-90, but that is neither here nor there.....

replacing the foam, once a year or so.....is a lot less time consuming than relacing a new hoop once or twice a year, I think of the foam as a quickish tire change, where as it takes my sorry ass hours to relace a hoop, or $50 labor plus the cost of the rim to have it done at the shop....so in a strict racers environment I see advantages that way....

maybe? lol

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All that for the small price of only 150$
So basically instead of destroying 50$ rims we now destroy 150$ foam inserts.
for people running carbon rims, this changes the equation significantly; as the rims are more expensive then whatever brand of foam insert you happen to choose to run.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
replacing the foam, once a year or so.....is a lot less time consuming than relacing a new hoop once or twice a year, I think of the foam as a quickish tire change, where as it takes my sorry ass hours to relace a hoop,
agreed. even the most proficient wheel builder probably can't relace a wheel in the same time it'd take to replace one of these foam inserts.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@Loki87 I'm not really interested in these foam ring things either.....but, let's say you do spend $150 to save a $50 hoop, first, I think most 27.5 hoops I've bought are closer to $75-90, but that is neither here nor there.....

replacing the foam, once a year or so.....is a lot less time consuming than relacing a new hoop once or twice a year, I think of the foam as a quickish tire change, where as it takes my sorry ass hours to relace a hoop, or $50 labor plus the cost of the rim to have it done at the shop....so in a strict racers environment I see advantages that way....

maybe? lol
and... it's not just the rim, but the tire too. Here in Canuckistan, I can't find a decent tire for less than $80. seriously. and when I crush a rim, I tend to kill the tire too (for the purpose of tubeless anyways). So that ups the equation to $80 for a tire, $110 for a rim (that's what a Stans or Spank costs), and $30 labour (assuming I don't need new nipples and spokes). Plus the "cost" in down time waiting for the rim to arrive in stock as no one stocks 26" rims anymore (f-u bike industry, you and your fucking 650b).

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
and... it's not just the rim, but the tire too. Here in Canuckistan, I can't find a decent tire for less than $80. seriously. and when I crush a rim, I tend to kill the tire too (for the purpose of tubeless anyways). So that ups the equation to $80 for a tire, $110 for a rim (that's what a Stans or Spank costs), and $30 labour (assuming I don't need new nipples and spokes). Plus the "cost" in down time waiting for the rim to arrive in stock as no one stocks 26" rims anymore (f-u bike industry, you and your fucking 650b).
Every serious mtber should have a spare set of wheels! Jeez man! You need to get your dentist license all ready.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like to just fill my tires with sand.

I wonder if anybody has used balance beads, like you see in huge bias-ply tires, on their MTB. I have no idea what this would achieve, other than achieving a higher degree of difficulty on installation.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I like to just fill my tires with sand.

I wonder if anybody has used balance beads, like you see in huge bias-ply tires, on their MTB. I have no idea what this would achieve, other than achieving a higher degree of difficulty on installation.
like bags of sand

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
"...have to admit to a bit of sticker shock... ...system costs $121.50 "

Having used ProCore and finding it to be an unstable, high-maintenance expense - I also took up making a Sticker Book photo album in the spare downtime waiting for replacement parts.

Seeing ProCore is now only 175.00 online, I agree: $121.50 for the same protection and no popping noises is a shock.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I just wonder if it would keep the tire from completely rolling off after a gashed front sidewall in a corner.

I've woken up wondering why I was laying in the dirt bleeding more than once. If this would at least give me time to stand the bike up and stop I'd give it a go.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just wonder if it would keep the tire from completely rolling off after a gashed front sidewall in a corner.

I've woken up wondering why I was laying in the dirt bleeding more than once. If this would at least give me time to stand the bike up and stop I'd give it a go.
it definitely sounds like it helps keep it on at stupid low pressures. but at no pressure, can't be certain. only one way to find out. but i'd venture a guess that it'd at least reduce the likelihood of it.