Quantcast

Floating brake obsolete?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I read somewhere that bikes with a Lawwill rear end greatly benefited from a floating rear brake. I don't remember exactly WHY this is, but if I remember correctly it was described as being a "catapult" without one. I'm sure someone else with more knowledge on the matter can clarify.
If I remember right it's one of the only bikes that truly has brake jack and not brake squat. Hit the brakes and the suspension rises in the back and collapses in the front.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
This one time, I borrowed a friend's 222 (223?). I crashed and blew out the front brake, and so had to make it down the rest of the mtn (Deceit? BMW?) using just the rear brake. I totally wished that it had a floating brake on it that day.
That would def be a situation were I would be happy to have a rear floater. Obviously in that situation your going to be overly hard on the rear brake

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
If the brake caliper was mounted on the rear link, the same as rear axle is attached to, then it would really have a significantly low anti-rise value (red curve on the anti-squat plot, a2 value) like -30%.
With that specific floater anti-rise is much better, like +10%, but still too low I'd say.

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
FWIW - my Rotec was pre-Lawill. I have never ridden the Lawill as much as I would love to.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
As DirtyMike said, depends on the rider.

I ran my Ventana Cuervo with AND without the floater kit. I definitely prefered the floater on there, especially in high speed chop I.E. Whistler jump trails. The bike wouldn't deflect or skip around as much if you had to mash the right lever...