Quantcast

floating rear disc set-ups

DEMON

Chimp
Sep 20, 2001
maple ridge b.c.
does anybody know where the best spot for the caliper to be when the bike is under compression ( 1/2 to 3/4 of the actual rear wheel travel) ??? i,m going to build one for my bike and was wondering if it is a critical . my bike is a single piviot ,elevated swingarm design ( 01 cheeta prowler ) , so with this frame i have to mount the caliper on the top and the torque bar on the bottom .:confused:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've never really thought about this, but it makes sense to me that the caliper should be perpendicular to the rod, which should be parallel to the (imaginary in your bike's case) line between the pivot and dropout. This way, the force exerted by the brake would be orthogonal with the motion of the swingarm so wouldn't affect it, at least at that point in the travel.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If you set up the system as fairly close to a parallelogram, then the actual angle doesn't matter. Just make sure that there is full clearance for the caliper mount as it swings through it's full range of motion.

You can deviate slightly from a parallelogram with little or no noticeable effect, and can actually dial in the braking feel during bumps by deviating a lot.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the caliper on the top, with the floating arm underneath. Unless you set up a sort of "see-saw" caliper mount, I don't know how you could achieve that, but as before if the pivots on the mount share distance/angle with the mounting points on the frame, then it won't be a problem.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by DEMON
does anybody know where the best spot for the caliper to be when the bike is under compression ( 1/2 to 3/4 of the actual rear wheel travel) ??? i,m going to build one for my bike and was wondering if it is a critical . my bike is a single piviot ,elevated swingarm design ( 01 cheeta prowler ) , so with this frame i have to mount the caliper on the top and the torque bar on the bottom .:confused:
Chumba Wumba has the bar below the swing arm...I believe so look at those......

My Rotecs bar is almost the same as the length between BB/mainpivot to axle.

don't know if this helps,

Rhino from WA

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
Originally posted by RhinofromWA

Chumba Wumba has the bar below the swing arm...I believe so look at those......

My Rotecs bar is almost the same as the length between BB/mainpivot to axle.

don't know if this helps,

Rhino from WA
Chuma's not running a paralleogram, but the rotec likley is. Take a look at the razor rock floating brake kit for the mountain cycle shockwave, i think that might be EXACTLY what your looking for. Heck, talk to razor, they might be interested in making a hop-up kit for the prowler. go to pinkbike.com and either search razor in the photos, or there might have been some photos from interbike 2001.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by dhdescender

Chuma's not running a paralleogram, but the rotec likley is. Take a look at the razor rock floating brake kit for the mountain cycle shockwave, i think that might be EXACTLY what your looking for. Heck, talk to razor, they might be interested in making a hop-up kit for the prowler. go to pinkbike.com and either search razor in the photos, or there might have been some photos from interbike 2001.
Well it isn't the closest to a true parallelagram but I thought he needed a bar to run below the swing arm like this.....