Quantcast

Florida wants your pee.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
as far as dropping in on white people in mcmansions...who do you think supplies these drugs? we hit upper-middle class suburbia regularly on search warrants for trafficking and stash houses
:thumb:

our current systems rewards, no, demands that the welfare recipients remain jobless thus furthering the wealth gap
Ever since the Clinton-era changes welfare assistance is limited to 5 years lifetime, and one must work or do work-equivalent activities for 32 hrs/week to qualify... right? I don't get how you get to your conclusion from this starting point.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My mother was a social worker later in life. She loved the work. We often talked about the whether the program was good. Her take was this.

-There are a lot of people who fall on hard times and need a little help and often a kick in the ass to get back on their feet. Rarely are those people both smart and hardworking but the bell curve can be cruel. There are some people who will always abuse the system but they are a rather small minority. There are of course those who abuse the system because it is all they know how to do. The problem isn't necessarily the people on welfare but the ****ty social workers who will lazily rubber stamp everything knowing they are being told lies as is it easier not to deal with it. From my mothers perspective most social workers were just as lazy if not worse than their clients. Little to no pressure was put on them to do little more than process people like paperwork. Her take was that the folks running the show needed squeezing harder than most of their clients did.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
:thumb:

Ever since the Clinton-era changes welfare assistance is limited to 5 years lifetime, and one must work or do work-equivalent activities for 32 hrs/week to qualify... right? I don't get how you get to your conclusion from this starting point.
very wrong. if that 5 year lifetime is in place it is most definitely not enforced. I think that is a state issue on how to use the federal funds. most of the research i did for my proposal was on generational dependency on government assistance. there are people i work with who have been in public housing for 30+ years. my hypothesis is that a child growing up in public housing as a significantly greater chance of remaining in public housing due to a sense of entitlement and dependency. i don't think you'll find many states that enforce any kind of finite time limit as there are so many loopholes around the rules. there is also no enforcement for the "community service" requirements. there are a handful, in each community, that will pick up trash but those are usually the long-term residents who have some pride in their area. i have asked the property managers about the community service requirement and they tell me that it is on the "honor system" because they don't have the ability to keep tabs on community service.

as an example of the greater problem: i have heard, first hand, from several teenage girls who have grown up in public housing, that (paraphrasing) they want to have a child soon so they can "get their house". it's not a rare occurrence or idea as being a single, poor mother in this system almost guarantees spoon-fed living. most of the ones i talk to about it see it as a right or a benefit of being a young mother, i see it as a trap.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Can't be hatin' winners...

Recognized as a national model, this service delivery system offers eligible clients a self-directed path to economic services seven days a week, 24-hours a day through a web application and an integrated voice response system. This system makes it easier and faster for clients and potential clients to apply and access information about their accounts. DCF was recognized in 2009 for for excellence in service to those facing economic crisis. The USDA awarded the state of Florida a $7,179,612 bonus for achieving the best payment accuracy rate in the country for food assistance program benefits.
Cause they said so, boiz!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
very wrong. if that 5 year lifetime is in place it is most definitely not enforced. I think that is a state issue on how to use the federal funds. most of the research i did for my proposal was on generational dependency on government assistance. there are people i work with who have been in public housing for 30+ years. my hypothesis is that a child growing up in public housing as a significantly greater chance of remaining in public housing due to a sense of entitlement and dependency. i don't think you'll find many states that enforce any kind of finite time limit as there are so many loopholes around the rules. there is also no enforcement for the "community service" requirements. there are a handful, in each community, that will pick up trash but those are usually the long-term residents who have some pride in their area. i have asked the property managers about the community service requirement and they tell me that it is on the "honor system" because they don't have the ability to keep tabs on community service.

as an example of the greater problem: i have heard, first hand, from several teenage girls who have grown up in public housing, that (paraphrasing) they want to have a child soon so they can "get their house". it's not a rare occurrence or idea as being a single, poor mother in this system almost guarantees spoon-fed living. most of the ones i talk to about it see it as a right or a benefit of being a young mother, i see it as a trap.
You realize that none of what you just talked about relates to "Welfare" in any way, right?

edit:

Manimal said:
The problem is that our current systems rewards, no, demands that the welfare recipients remain jobless thus furthering the wealth gap.
I shudder to think of what "research" you did if a) you think that Welfare recipients are prohibited from working, b) you don't know the difference between a federal section 8 housing program and TANF (cash-based assistance program funded by the fed and run by the states, ie "Welfare) and c) you feel that the generational aspect of poverty is due solely to the sense of entitlement and not to any other mitigating factors such as education, family structure, inherent racism, etc.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You realize that none of what you just talked about relates to "Welfare" in any way, right?

edit:

I shudder to think of what "research" you did if a) you think that Welfare recipients are prohibited from working, b) you don't know the difference between a federal section 8 housing program and TANF (cash-based assistance program funded by the fed and run by the states, ie "Welfare) and c) you feel that the generational aspect of poverty is due solely to the sense of entitlement and not to any other mitigating factors such as education, family structure, inherent racism, etc.
manimal is secretly on welfare ;)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
sooo...public housing, HUD, is no longer part of the "welfare" system?

man, i guess all of those monthly meetings i attend for the "Housing Authority of *****" are now privately funded? weird, and all this time i thought that the contract my unit has with the above referenced Housing Authority, had something to do with those welfare pamphlets on every table in the meeting room...geez...6 years in this unit and my eyes are finally open! :rolleyes:

i suppose my research must be flawed because it doesn't jive with your opinion?

here, i found an article or two that can be publicly accessed without having to go through the university system library:
here are 2 examples of background research/ideas into my proposal
http://www.knowledgeplex.org/kp/text_document_summary/scholarly_article/relfiles/hpd_0902_freeman.pdf

a case study on how management affects the time a person spends in public housing
http://www.pdfcari.com/MANAGEMENT-CASE-STUDY-Public-Housing-Management-Assessment-Program.html

if i can find the thumb drive that contains my proposal i'll gladly list links to all of the articles i reviewed for it.

by the way, dependency CREATES a sense of entitlement.

and yes, i understand the difference between section 8 and traditional HUD programs ("the projects"). the main difference being that private citizens and/or companies benefit from section 8 where traditional public housing is funded entirely through the federal system

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So what's the difference in a politician cashing his state check and someone cashing a state welfare check? Both are scoring off the taxpayer for not doing anything useful.
Poor people are bad.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Now if only they could outlaw the purchase of steak on lobster via SNAP we could save the taxpayers literally dozens of dollars.