Quantcast

Fluidride Cup #5-Back to the Hill

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
It's just around to corner!!
We just had a little work session this past weekend prepping for the race. Thanks to the guys from Recycled Cycles and DWB racing for the help. The tracks are FAST right now, and we are finally getting some much needed rain right now.

There should be something new for all the courses this time around as well.

Something to consider, the Clallam County Fair is the same weekend, so you might want to book your lodging sooner than later.

We look forward to seeing you all.
***PLEASE KEEP CHECKING BACK FOR POSSILBE CHANGES***
Schedule:
Friday practice Open to all categories 11pm-6pm
Saturday practice
---CAT 3 & 2 9AM TO 1PM---
---CAT 1 AND PRO 1PM TO 5PM---
Sunday practice 8am-9:30
racing starts around 10am

Entry Fees:
Friday Practice, Saturday Practice and Sunday Practice and Racing - $65
Saturday Practice, Sunday Practice and Racing - $55
Lodging options:
Sunday only Practice and Racing - $45
***Please Note: Don't count on any more than one practice run on Sunday***

Directions:
Follow Highway 101 to Port Angeles. At Lincoln St. go Left. Follow up past Albertsons and continue approximately 3 miles to Walkabout Way and go Left(small dirt road across from Dry Creek Road). On Walkabout, take your first right thru a big yellow gate, and continue up to the parking area. PLEASE NOTE: AS WITH MT HOOD, THERE WILL BE NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES PERMITTED AT ANY EVENTS AT DRY HILL. PLEASE RESPECT THIS TO HELP PRESERVE THIS GREAT RIDING ZONE

Hotels:
Red Lion Hotel - Port Angeles
221 N. Lincoln
Port Angeles, WA 98362
Toll Free: 1-800-RED-LION
Phone: 360-452-9215
Fax: 360-452-4734
Email: portangelessales@redlion.com
Web Site: www.redlion.com/portangeles
***be sure to mention Olympic Dirt Society when reserving your room ***
Contact #: 360-452-9215

Royal Victorian Motel
521 E. 1st Street
Port Angeles, Wa 98362
www.Royalvictorian.net
866-452-8401

Flagstone Motel
415 E. 1st Street
Port Angeles, WA 98362
222-304-3465
www.flagstonemotel.net

Fairmount Motel
Port Angeles, WA 98363
Phone: (360) 452-1627
Fax: (360) 452-8594
Email: mskang2341@msn.com
Convenient and inexpensive option.

Camping
Elwha Dam RV Park
47 Lower Dam Road
Port Angeles, WA 98363
Toll Free: 1-877-435-9421
Phone: 360-452-7054
Email: paradise@elwhadamrvpark.com
Web Site: www.elwhadamrvpark.com
Very close and big supporters of our sport.

Scott

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
They do the different practice times on Saturday mostly for the rider's safety. Since not as many people show up on Friday and the pace is normally not as fast as on Sat/Sun, it's way less of an issue. Come Saturday, the hill is flooded and it's significantly faster and therefore more prone to collisions if two different courses meet up at any point. I'd like to run all day, but I'd be pretty bummed if I got taken out by another rider coming off a different track.

Glad to see the cat1/pro practice times for Saturday - I get to sleep in!!!!!!!!

Thanks for hosting us for the weekend, Scott! Ted and I are pretty bummed we had to work on Saturday, as we'd much rather have been working for ODS on that day. Thanks a ton to Pip, Nick, Brett, Dave and Bernie for representing on Saturday. Everything was running good out there yesterday. Well-timed rain is always a bonus, so it should be pretty sick racing out there in less than two weeks. Can't wait!!!

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
It's not only a potential colision issue. It's a way to keep people from getting frustrated with a never ending line. If we have 200+ people trying to get on the same trucks, it's pretty lame. Also it gives people time to walk the courses for a little closer look without getting run-over.

Believe it or not, you'll get as many if not more runs in half the day as if you were there all day.

Rain is very good Andy, You are correct!!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've been stressing missing practice Friday all week. Glad to see I have all day as I probably won't make it there until noon. Is registration open all day Friday?

Random: I've made it to a few of the races this year and gotten a new plate at each race. I can just grab one of the the number plates from a previous race this year and use that and avoid being charged again right?

-Kevin

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I've been stressing missing practice Friday all week. Glad to see I have all day as I probably won't make it there until noon. Is registration open all day Friday?

Random: I've made it to a few of the races this year and gotten a new plate at each race. I can just grab one of the the number plates from a previous race this year and use that and avoid being charged again right?

-Kevin
Reg is open from 10 - 5 on Fri.

This plate phenomenon has been pretty surprising to me. Everyone is supposed to keep their plate, and bring the one to all the FRcups they enter.
Not that hard, at least we thought so in the beginning. That's why we coughed up extra dough for killer custom plates, thinking people would be stoked to keep them. I still have my plate from the first race. Hell I still have my plate from the first race last year. However it seems very few people can remember to bring them.

They are pretty expensive, and the more we need to have made, the more of a pain in the butt it is to deal with more numbers. Especially when some folks have received a new on at every race, then bring a defunct one back out.

Now we have to charge $5 or whatever for a replacement. (which barely covers the cost of the plate itself)

So yeah, bring one if you have it.

As far as the course go. We've selected them. And you'll see when ya get here. :thumb:

Last edited:

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
Had some rain, just enough to do some building/repair work, but it's still super fast right now. Couldn't have been better recently.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
As far as which category is running what course, they've put new little wrinkles on a lot of the trails - perhaps even more since last weekend, too. Even if you knew what trails you were racing, there's still new and different things to figure out along them. Just be prepared to be fast and flowy and you'll be OK! :thumb:

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
I can use every advantage I can get....Next season I am lobbying for an "old guy with bad back" class....I figure I could at least podium!

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
No matter what trails we'll be using, they will seem entirely different.
Dry Hill is so different this time of year than when we had the last event here in June. I promise you it will be a blast, as always. The courses will be super fun. The award winning BBQ will be great. And the weather will be stellar.

See you all soon.

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
On Friday Aug 21st (12-6pm) and Saturday Aug 22nd (9am to 6pm), come out and take a test run a Cove 2009 bike. We are bringing in the Shockers, the STD's, the Huslter's, the G-Spots and the brand new Hooker (which will get the most attention I predict) to the 'Return to the Hill' DH- Fluidride Cup #5. Just stop by the Cove tent with ID and your current bike as collateral and you will get to 'test' out a handmade frame from British Columbia, Canada. All retailers in the area will get priority service with a smile. Rockstar Energy will be providing refreshments of course.

Visit the Cove website at www.covebike.com

If you have any questions- call me, my number is below. Please post on your blogs, twitter accounts and any of the million social networking systems I'm unaware of.........See you at the race!

Mike Estes
Home/Office 541 436 4016
Cell 503 806 4835
Fax 240 554 3365

ti-bender

Chimp
Jan 21, 2008
Redmond, WA
We will have our tent up at this weekends Fluid Ride on Saturday. We will have Obtainium springs for sale and you can also see our new Obtainium Bearing system.

Jim 206-920-2245

hbracca

Chimp
Jun 4, 2008
Eugene, OR
Does anyone know whether or not the bridge from Tacoma is still under construction. Headin up from Eugene and doing the whole 101 from olympia sucks at 12:30AM

Oh and dcamp, do you have an emergency contact that we should notify? :D:thumb: I have to show that pic to my buddy at work. I thought he had the record for most random shaped objects attached to a motorcycle for a roadtrip.

Last edited:

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
I saw Dave briefly yesterday and he is due for release today.

For those who don't know, he broke a rib that punctured his lung. He's been in ICU with a tube draining his lung since Saturday night, but suprisingly, he seemed in relative good spirits.

It's amazing how many times I've (we've) gotten away with that type of crash.

Thanks to everyone that came out, we had a great time. Time for the hill to rest for a while, but watch for the Fall Down in October at some point.

Scott