Quantcast

Fluids

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
Before my ride I weigh 169lbs. After a 4hr road ride I weigh around 164-165. What is acceptable fluid loss during a long ride?

I sweat a lot and it's unlikely that I can drink an extra 4 bottles per ride. We stop about half way through the ride to get water. I usually have 1 20oz bottle per hour and drink a glass of oj and a 20oz glass during breakfast which is usually a bowl of oatmeal.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
For a hard ride that seems fine, drink plenty of COLD water and you will be back to normal by tomorrow. On a high intensity road ride lasting only 90 minutes but averaging 18 to 20 MPH I will loose 3 LBS while consuming a quart of liquid.

When I run a marathon I will loose about 4LBS.

EDIT: I weight 155. On an epic MTB ride I don't usually loose more than 2LBS in the space of 3 to 4 hours. I only loose the liquid when my heart rate is 85% or higher. For me this does not happen MTBing; only during sustained cardio with no slack (no DH to back off on)

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
After a couple hours of hard exercise you need to replace your electrolytes and carbs help too. People have died of hyponatremia (low salt) during races because all they drank was water. I use a dilute solution of Gatorade. If I'm going to exercise for more than two hours I add in a small amount of protein powder. This mixture keeps me hydrated and carbed up. There is a lot of research on this topic so surf around to get the most up to date information. Happy trails.

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
I think I've discovered based on my typical ride intensity and sweat rate that when it's 90+ out I'm toast after 2.5hrs. I suck down 100oz of water with electrolytes and then there's nothing left. I have to either get up earlier or plan shorter rides. One of these days I'll get my weight down and will hopefully sweat less.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Topaz
I think I've discovered based on my typical ride intensity and sweat rate that when it's 90+ out I'm toast after 2.5hrs. I suck down 100oz of water with electrolytes and then there's nothing left. I have to either get up earlier or plan shorter rides. One of these days I'll get my weight down and will hopefully sweat less.
I recently ran a 50K in Ashland, OR. This was a mountain run of moderate gain/loss. The temps were in the 80s and 90s. I was running with a first timer and didn't put out as much effort as I normally would have. Even so, I consumed over 200 oz of liquid on the trail and another 60oz when the race was over. Heat will knock the crap out of you, electrolyt tablest are a good idea.

When I have finished an ultra my entire head will be covered with tiny salt crystal, my sideburn area will be totally salt encrusted and you can scrape the salt off my backpack where the sweat has evaporated.

Anyhow, for your body weight, I don't think 4 LBS of liquid weight is that much to worry about. Keep at it and HAVE FUN.:D