Quantcast

flying with bike (search borked)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Search is broken...

Curious to know others experiences flying with bikes. I've always shipped mine, but don't have that luxury this time around. I'm bring a road bike with me to Utah in a week and don't want to fork out the cash for oversized, so I'm thinking of putting the frame/wheels in separate containers.

Think well-reinforced cardboard boxes will do? I've got tons of experience packing bikes for shipment, but I'm told airlines are absolutely brutal with cargo.

The airline is Southwest, FWIW.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cardboard will get fvcked up. Airlines are vicious. I've seen some creative packing ideas, wheels in a drum case, everything else in a big suitcase is a good one.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I'm flying to Whistler in 2 weeks. Trying out the big suitcase for frame and separate box/bag for wheels. I'll take pics and let you know how it works.

Just remember the magic numbers for avoiding oversize luggage fees: less than 50 lbs and 62 linear inches (l+w+h).

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Search is broken...

Curious to know others experiences flying with bikes. I've always shipped mine, but don't have that luxury this time around. I'm bring a road bike with me to Utah in a week and don't want to fork out the cash for oversized, so I'm thinking of putting the frame/wheels in separate containers.

Think well-reinforced cardboard boxes will do? I've got tons of experience packing bikes for shipment, but I'm told airlines are absolutely brutal with cargo.

The airline is Southwest, FWIW.
Blue

Cupertino Bike Shop rents hard case bike boxes ....do it....vs having to buy a new frame or wheels and not riding on your trip

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I mean...I've seen what happens to boxes in shipping facilities (when I worked for UPS and packaged things, the idea was that it could survive a 15 foot drop). FedEx is really out of the question because of cost and time. I need my bike immediately when I return.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Flew with my roadie to SF earlier this year; bike got slightly phucked up because TSA opened the package to "inspect" it. Of course this ruined the packing job that took me the better part of an hour. Not the end of the world because my roadie is getting long in the tooth and will be upgraded this year, but I'll never fly with my newer, nicer road bike. I'll keep the dinged up one for flying.

Keep in mind even if you split into multiple bags under 62" you'll still get screwed on the extra bag fee, most airlines will only check one bag with your ticket purchase.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Unless they really suck, then they'll charge you for every bag. All airlines suck, ps.

I had a cannondale prophet that I folded up into one suitcase. I sent the wheels separately via fedex/ups and carried the frame down with me. I couldn't get the wheels in with the bike. Not sure how I got it back, but I did. Shipping the wheels was cheap, like 30 bucks, and the frame flew free in a cheap suitcase filled with packing peanuts and cardboard. No damage and no extra charges.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have used card board boxes from the bike shop many times without any problems but with modifications. First I use a roll of tape to reenforce the box, pack the bike and hold all pieces down so they can not move in the box and then use the extra space in the box for clothes to further protect the bike.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I flew with mine in my Trico Ironcase....made it safe and sound. Every other time I have shipped mine. Not sure if I trust the airlines enough, but you could try fitting it in suitcases (maybe the hard case kind0?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have flown with a Tri-co case with good results but the airlines screw you with the oversize fee. I managed to argue my way out of it by misquoting the rules with an un-knowledgeable airline worker a few times but it has been the exception.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Perhaps if you weren't a dingaling, someone would loan you a bike in Utah and you wouldn't have to bother. Even an asshole like Westy can find a bike to borrow. :D
Not many people want to loan someone their multi-thousand dollar road bike for an amateur crit. I've already got a few mountain bikes lined up...maybe I'll just use one of those?

Douche.

;)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I flew with mine in my Trico Ironcase....made it safe and sound. Every other time I have shipped mine. Not sure if I trust the airlines enough, but you could try fitting it in suitcases (maybe the hard case kind0?
I have a performance bike case. Kind of the same but different still more than 62”. Most major carriers charge 100bucks each way. Ask for assistance at check in to get it right the auto tellers ARE NOT SET UP TO HANDLE IT. It’s not another piece of luggage so don’t take that hit either. I think it’s United that BLOWS. 175 each way. I have boycotted them because of that.
YOU can do a regular cardboard bike box and it can be done safely. NO Duck tape and ask for FRaGiLE stickers at check in. ALSO go to HOME DEPO or whatever and buy pipe insulation. Get the 2 different sizes and wrap and tape all tubes in it. Also cut a piece of PVC pipe to I think 135mm’s and secure it in place in with your rear quick release so the rear triangle doesn’t get smooshed. I flew this way to Denver last year with no problems. I’ve also flown with my hard shell 20 times with no issues. Remember that it does not come oot at the same place as regular luggage when picking it up though.

Last edited:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I just stuff my bike in a plastic box and hope for the best. A rotor fell out in front of my house when it was being returned by fed ex. I am going to invent a giant vacuum bag that has a layer of kevlar and another layer of rubber. This whole boycott shenanigan will become a non issue.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Bike in the box is about 25lb (santa cruz superlight, size XL). Just squirms in under 50lb with tools.

Case is made by Platt. ID 22x34x12" I think. It's technically too big to be regular baggage, but nobody has ever looked at it twice in at least 10 plane rides.

Last edited:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Crap, the 2 hour ride in the heat and rain plus the scotch has gone to my brain this evening. Here are the basic rules
1. under 62inches (height+width+length) and under 50lbs, it’s just another piece of checked luggage. Good luck.
2. Normal – Over 62” But between 50 and 70 lbs, bike charge 100 each way.
3. Screwed = over 62” over 70lbs. Don’t even thing aboot it. Most airlines will not accept it at all.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Bike in the box is about 25lb (santa cruz superlight, size XL). Just squirms in under 50lb with tools.

Case is made by Platt. ID 22x34x12" I think. It's technically too big to be regular baggage, but nobody has ever looked at it twice in at least 10 plane rides.
That's a super nice setup and bythe looks of it, unless somebody was TRYING to find a problem with it that wouldnt look at it twice. Doh was going to ask what case that is but I see. Vera nice.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SW doesn't charge if it's specifically a bike, just if it's over 62 inches/50 lbs. And it's $50. I may just use a regular bike box and suck it up.