Quantcast

Foam insert + lightweight tube (instead of tubeless)?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Not too sure about this configuration."
The foam will impede the tires ability to conform to surface features.
If the foam is light enough to conform easily, would /could it be stiff enough for purpose?
Next you have the damping material ontop of the spring,(tube section) this provides more mass moving to accommodate trail features backed up by a spring. I'm thinking, hell who's kidding who. - guessing pogo and dead feeling.

Or I could be totally wrong.

I do however think it will also help kill trail chatter, but can't decide witch way would be more effective, this new "Armour" system or the Cushcore style.

Anybody gotz some edumacation can throw a little learnin' on this here problem?

This is the :monkey: - Speculation is what we excel at :blah::nerd::blah: :D :offtopic::rofl:

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I agree with @mykel the foam will do something like going from single ply to double ply...
Then foam tends to collapse when squized like here between the tire and the tube. I tried having a huck Norris between my rim and my tube, it became flat as a pancake.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
From looking at CushCore inserts after using them, there are a thousand shark bites, mostly towards the edges of the insert from absorbing pinches between rim and rock.
That’s exactly where the above insert is thinnest and has a tube. That seems questionable.
Also, when you are rolling along, the thick section under the tread would be constantly engaged. That seems like it would increase rolling resistance.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
From looking at CushCore inserts after using them, there are a thousand shark bites, mostly towards the edges of the insert from absorbing pinches between rim and rock.
That’s exactly where the above insert is thinnest and has a tube. That seems questionable.
Also, when you are rolling along, the thick section under the tread would be constantly engaged. That seems like it would increase rolling resistance.
:stupid:

This strikes me as a bad idea.