Quantcast

Foes Mixer Trail, I am building one right now

Discussion in 'Cross Country, All Mountain & Trail Riding' started by dustyyoungblood, Dec 28, 2016.

?

What Budget price cranks should I run

1. Shimano SLX

22.2%
  2. Shimano XT

55.6%
  3. Race Face Turbine Cinch

22.2%
  4. Sram NX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dustyyoungblood

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 4
    Been a long long time since I built a new bike up. I choose the Foes Mixer trail for a myriad of reasons, but mostly because I was curious to see how it runs and also because I wanted a USA made Aluminum frame. I need a "do it all bike" For 15-30 mile trail loops, some Socal technical stuff, and occasional DH oriented trips.
    Spec:
    Foes Mixer Trail, black, large
    DVO diamond fork
    DVO Topaz shock
    hope pro4 front hub
    hope pro4 rear hub
    Race Face Arc 30 29" rim
    Race Face Arc 30 27.5" rim
    DT COMP spokes
    DT ProLoc Brass Nipples
    11 speed cassette, TBD
    Sram 11 speed chain
    Box one shifter
    Box one rear derailleur
    175mm cranks, TBD
    68mm threaded Bottom bracket, TBD
    Front ring, 32t, TBD
    Cromag Ranger V2 stem
    Spank Spike bars
    Oury Lock on grips
    Shifter cable set
    Race Face seat post
    Chromag Lynx DT saddle
    Magura MT trail brake set
    E13 Tires
    WTB blue valve stems
    Cane Creek 40 HEADSET

• Like Like x 2

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Sandwich

Sandwich just shake your rump
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    50 / 444
    SLX are some of the best cranks you can run. 7k series aluminum, hollow, and shimano's interface is simply the best. I think XT sheds just a little bit of weight, but I ran SLX on a DH bike with success.

I now have RF Turbine cinch, and the cinch interface creaks, the cranks occasionally come loose, and I don't notice any additional stiffness. I would have rather stuck with shimano, but I wanted the cleanliness of the cinch interface. Now I wish I could mess with spacing via chainring bolts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    162 / 984
    I'm with Sandwich: creaky RF Cinch cranks on one bike, creak-free Shimano cranks on the other. Go Shimano.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dustyyoungblood

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 4
    As an old shimano fan.... this is good to read from you guys!!!! But the Race Face come in blue ano!!!!!

5. Sandwich

Sandwich just shake your rump
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    50 / 444
    you _cannot_ beat the RFs for pure vanity. I may have purchased mine because the yellow crank boots match my hubs. Maybe.

I do like the concept of cinch. It's less stuff on the bike and it lets you key an oval ring, if you want one, to your pedal stroke. I've never bothered, but it's a neat idea. I was forced into press fit with the new bike, but I really can't see much reason to stray from shimano unless you WANT to.

I also have raceface chester cranks on my DH bike, and guess what they do? Come loose and creak. Don't really have the money to spend on a shimano setup though!

• Like Like x 1
  6. StiHacka

StiHacka Compensating for something

Rep/Likes:
    262 / 2,130
    i͓̽t͓̽ i͓̽s͓̽ fu͓̽l͓̽l͓̽ o͓̽f s͓̽t͓̽a͓̽r͓̽s͓̽
    I like RF cinch, they have been mostly trouble free for me, less trouble than Shimano but moar trouble than SRAM GXP that are IMHO the best of the bunch. But, my BB is threaded, therefore I can adjust chainline with spacers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. boostindoubles

boostindoubles Nacho Libre

Rep/Likes:
    111 / 886
    I have a cinch crank and bought it only for the spider less ability.

If I did it again, I'd definitely just keep with the Shimano interface. It is just so damn easy and stiff and creak free. SLX is all you need but the m780 xt stuff is great too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. 4130biker

4130biker PM me about Tantrum Cycles!

Rep/Likes:
    54 / 395
    Custom anodize a set of XT :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. IH8Rice

IH8Rice I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 468
    ive had a few cinch RF cranks and all have worked perfectly but you cant beat the SLX price. any particular reason youre using Box components? like the idea of the Mixer. been dying to get another Foes soon

• Like Like x 1
  10. dustyyoungblood

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 4
    Why BOX? I trust them, they did it right. Fit and finish is GREAT. So excited to run it hard. I have spoken with Toby Henderson (of BOX) several times over the years about Bike components in detail, and if anyone could pull this off (a great sram crushing deraileur/shifter) it's him. I am totally on board.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dustyyoungblood

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 4
    Brilliant

12. dustyyoungblood

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 4
    My first ever Chromag saddle. Looks decent, hopefully semi comfy

Attached Files:

13. Jm_

Jm_ Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    114 / 641
    I like the newer foes bikes, the kinematics are actually decent since Brent decided linkages COULD vary the rate of shocks and that the CV/T was not the pinnacle of shock technology. Some downright meaty stuff that I wouldn't mind riding. The mixer is a great concept IMO. Very flat AS curve like DW Delta (Evil).

#13 -   Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 4130biker

4130biker PM me about Tantrum Cycles!

Rep/Likes:
    54 / 395
    I've always loved the way foes does the rear triangle and dropouts. Looks really fun to do a ground up build!

• Like Like x 1
  15. dustyyoungblood

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 4
    Echoing some of my reasons i chose this model.
    I was having a hard time picking between an Evil Wreckoning, SC Hightower and the foes.

In the end I thought the Evil might a little bit to much bike or to DH oriented for my needs. And with SC, people love their hightowers and Bronson's to death, but there is something about VPP I have never liked. The new Bronson I test was rather epic and gobbled up small and medium terrain like nothing I ever rode. I call it "bronsoning".

But..... there is the point where you are 70% into the travel and have successive harsh edge hits where it just gets rough and stiff.

Plus I like single pivot bikes, like a ton. One because I am fat and can identify every minor linkage flex. Two because they are fun and predictable to ride and less maitanance.

Plus..... I am sort of a patriot and wanted my money to flow into a USA made organization.

First foes, wish me luck. No demo was a huge risk to me considering I spent all year demoing and renting IBIS, SC, specialized, Ellsworth, others.

• Like Like x 1
  16. slimshady

slimshady Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    31 / 292
    I might had found the faulty link in your reasoning chain...

Now speaking seriously, I think the SLXs are hard to beat when talking about budget options. The BB is a joke (Shimano doesn't think the bearings need inner seals), but replacing it with a proper one such as the Race Face offerings once they get jammed is still better than dealing with more extraneous options.

#16 -   Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  17. dustyyoungblood

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 4
    Actually not!!!!!! Surprise