Quantcast

Foot position

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
When I coast, descend, bunny hop, and pretty much everything on a bike I have my left foot in front, even though my right foot is stronger, is this proper? I am only asking because my son is learning to ride.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I would think it all comes down to whatever is most comfortable to you at the current time.

I know I do the same thing (left foot forward) so that when I come out of something technical I can get a good dominant leg powerstroke to get me moving if need be.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i would think comfort is key... but on turns your outside foot should be in the down position to gain the most traction.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
comfort and balance/control... do what works for you. FWIW... I do the same thing - I think it's because I feel more in control with my right foot in back with more weight on it.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Biking is like snowboard/skateboarding. Some people feel more comfortable with their left foot forward (regular) and others like their right foot forward (goofy.) There isn't really any advantage to either, it's all personal prefrence and what feels comfortable to you.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
If you're unconciously putting your left foot forward in those instances, it's probably your left foot that is "stronger." I would've thought my right foot were stronger until my buddy fitted me for a snowboard. We were in the ski shop and she came up behind me and gave me a shove in the back. I automatically stepped with my left foot to stop my fall and my board was setup that way.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
im right handed, but i stick my left foot out it just becomes a habbit that you become comfortable with. it doesn't really matter