Quantcast

For my legion of non-believers

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I present to you my "it's about f***ing time" '05 Raleigh Ram XT3500 - FOR REAL!!!:D

Did a little jaunt around the hood and it feels niiiice. Tomorrow I shall see what she's (needs a name still - you'd think with all this downtime I'd have come up with one) capable of in the dirt...er, mud. I hit a few small jumps in my 'hood and it's definitely got hops. Not as heavy as I thought it would be, either!

As far as the chain goes, I'm not worried. It's sitting in a gear that I won't be using any time right away - if I'm that high on the cassette, I'm switching to the little-ring. One of the next things I'm doing with it is getting SRAM X-9 shifters/rear derailleur.

Here's the prOn...

Loretto - here's that super-duper-mondo high-tech headset that was the bane of my existence for far too long. Mad props to Ted @ Recycled for getting it so quickly (ordered mid-day Tues. and arrived late Thurs.). The headset that never happened has nothing to do with this one - if I had known that it was going to be the ordeal that it was, I would have just gone to Recycled right off the bat. Live and learn...:rolleyes:

Talk about a tight squeeze!:eek:

If the weather doesn't resemble something out of The Wizard of Oz, I plan on spending quite a bit of time out @ SST tomorrow. WOO-HOO!!

:dancing:

nohbody

Chimp
Mar 5, 2005
Seattle
My first real mountain bike was a raleigh, but that was back when johnny T was riding for them. Since then they went downhill (not in a good way), so its a good thing to see them on the upswing again.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Forgot to mention the seatpost! There is one there - it's a Thomson Elite. I plan on getting a setback seatpost before too long as well. If anybody has a 27.2 they want to sell (or swap for my Thomson), let me know.:)

Is the tree gap ready yet, Norm?

Yeah, Raleigh has really made a conscious effort to be respectable again. They still have tons of entry-level bikes, but their high-end stuff is really amazing. I got to ride one of their Prestige road bikes (carbon/aluminum) last week and was having a hard time parting with it.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'll be down there for a while tomorrow, so if there's a crew working on it I'll be more than happy to lend a hand. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!:thumb:

I think I'll kind of start of easy on the rig until I get everything dialed to my liking. I'm guessing four runs.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Certified Drunk said:
I cant remember the last time it dry'ed out :mumble: I think it's rained everyday for the past 3 months.
Just about. I think there were a couple of spells where it didn't rain for 2-3 days. Maybe it was just one spell and it felt like a couple:confused:
I'm just hoping for a couple/few decent days between now and Wednesday, before I rejoin the workforce once again. OK, I'll take ONE decent day!!!:help:

Sep 8, 2004
Looks killer Andy! 'Bout time you had some fun wheels to ride. I'll catch ya down at SST sometime, once I get back on the big bike. I bought a small bike, been playing around with it. I'll post a pic of it sometime later.

-james

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
That's not your bike - I bet you stole those photos off of pinkbike or something. I don't believe it for a minute. But if it is your bike - nice, see ya at SST. Oh, and when you bringing it to Whistler?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Sunday?!? TODAY'S Saturday!

James - small bike...as in BMX, XC or :confused:

The Sun is out (it woke me up) and I'm getting my arse in gear to go ride right now!! If I survive, I'll give an account of the ride.

As far as Whistler, I will be working weekends for a while, so I'm essentially relegated to certain weekdays and holidays that fall on a weekend.

I was thinking it was Kona-ish as well, but somebody that saw it yesterday thought it was a Dirtbag. Ha! It's neither...I'm nearly unique!!

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
Nice ride man, looks like i am next. I am working on a Stinky D frame. Take the parts off my cowan and add a Super T or a Boxxer. Then rebuild my cowan. I need to get back over there and ride.

Sep 8, 2004
Andy.... Bmx. Its goofy feeling, but is starting to feel almost comfortable. If worst comes to worse and I don't like it, I'll just take the 20" wheels off and use em as training wheels for the bighit.

-James.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
jimbo_the_biker said:
Andy.... Bmx. Its goofy feeling, but is starting to feel almost comfortable. If worst comes to worse and I don't like it, I'll just take the 20" wheels off and use em as training wheels for the bighit.

-James.

Bring it 2 sst i wanna hit the step down on it like case

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Yeah, Raleigh has really made a conscious effort to be respectable again. They still have tons of entry-level bikes, but their high-end stuff is really amazing. I got to ride one of their Prestige road bikes (carbon/aluminum) last week and was having a hard time parting with it.
Funny you mention that. I have had a Raleigh Prestige road bike since '03 when they came out. It's the carbon/Aluminum style frame. Anyway I bought it because it was so cheap for a seemingly nice bike with a Dura Ace 9spd group etc. Well the bike has made a unsettlingly loud popping noise (makes me think the carbon fork or something is going to fail!) originating from the headtube area since it was brand new and I took it up with Raleigh right away after trying anything I could think of to elimiate or at least diagnose it. They sent me a new headset to try first, no luck. Next was a new fork, still no luck. The next logical step was to replace the frame, well no luck there either. They have been so reluctant to replace the frame. I have been locked in a bitter battle with their warranty dept for ALMOST TWO YEARS NOW! After much debate and multiple warranty reps they now swear that they will have a replacment frame for me sometime soon but it will be a downgrade to the supercourse model. Still no frame yet.... :rolleyes:

I have to say all-in-all RALEIGH is Sh1t company with terrible CS. All through the ridiculous process they have always made me fell like I owed them something when in reality it is them who owe me clearly. Anyway I hope your bike doesn't break and if it dsoes good luck getting it replaced or repaired!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Wow...that's some pretty f***ed up ****, Sean. I have a roomie that works for them, so I'll see if there's anything I can do from here. He's been able to help me out pretty easily with any problems I've encountered. If they DO downgrade, they should at least toss in some other stuff/cash to compensate for the difference. I hope my bike doesn't break either.

Thanks, Tom! Yeah, that wheel is God-like for some reason. How's the rehab going? I thought about you (and several other down riders) as I was casing the stepdown today. Some guy was walking his dog (3ft tall dobie) w/o a leash and the dog just so happened to be near the takeoff. I had already landed the ledgedrop and was straightening up for the stepdown when I saw it, avoided it and then got all hairball in the air. Stuck w/ the bike and almost reeled it in...almost. Luckily I just bruised the hell out of my right thigh. Tense.:eek:

Yup, KNine...time to get your rig on.:)

James - good call on the bmx...that should push your skill-level to many new levels. Hope it treats you well!

The bike is much easier to toss around and the tighter cockpit makes for better jumping action. I can't wait until I've completly adjusted to it...good times!
Just as I was warming up to it, Norm noticed that my rear derailleur housing was kind of munched right below my seatpost clamp. I'll be damned if the QR seatpost clamp wasn't pinching the housing into my rocker arm. OOPS!!! Thanks again for A) spotting and B) telling me about it.:thumb:
Good thing I bought the 10m size derailleur cable housing and kept the bolt-on seatpost clamp that came with the frame. Needless to say, I'm hoping the weather is similar to Sat. - must ride more!!!

No pics of ME riding from today, BUT I had plenty of down-time to take some more pics. Too tired to choose pics to post and then link, so here's a link to the latest updates in our gallery.

I AM THAT LINK - CLICK ME

Sep 8, 2004
I might be at SST today, weather pending.
I've seen that Doberman out there a few times now, it seems fairly friendly, but at first glance it kinda suprises you.
I saw Brian's Ram 2500 out there last week, they are pretty sweet. The 2500/3500's use the same frame right? Just a component difference? Does your Slider+ have TPC+ or SPV?

The bmx bike is treating my quite well, I've already adjusted to it a bit, and I'm really starting to like it. We might have to get some skatepark sessions going sometime.

-James.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'm heading out there today, but not sure how much riding I'm going to be doing. Feeling the after-effects of my bail somewhat. I can still be camera-bitch and do some trailwork IF it comes down to it.
That's the same fork that was on the DBR, James. Yeah, it was a friendly dog for sure. Wish I would have known that prior to my encounter.:mumble:

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
Congtats on the new rig andy, I rode one of those not too long ago and I came away pretty impressed. Too bad Raleigh isn't making it again next year..... at least that's what I heard. Those guys don't even know when they have a good thing going.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Good to see you out there today, Trace. Now get back into riding form so you can spend more time out there!:)
I forget what year (I think '02) the cranks are, but they're Next LP's...aluminum/carbon. I carried those over from my old rig as well 'cuz I :heart: them so much.
Thanks, Steve...I was thinking more along the lines of "about f*cking time". Hopefully it's just a rumor...unless they are coming out with something better. Maybe they didn't sell as well as they anticipated - otherwise, I'm stumped:confused: Oh well, that just means that I'll be one of a kind...'cept for that Ted guy, but he represents so I can cope. I have yet to see your Banshee(s)...hope they're treating you both well!:D

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Good to see you out there today, Trace. Now get back into riding form so you can spend more time out there!:)
Yer killing me, here! Besides, I cut out just in time to miss the tropical monsoon, so I'm calling myself lucky.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
carbuncle said:
Yer killing me, here! Besides, I cut out just in time to miss the tropical monsoon, so I'm calling myself lucky.
Just giving you extra motivation...not that I think you need it after your moving adventures.;)
That was a nasty downpour for sure. We'd have been screwed if it wasn't for the cover provided by the trees. It got real nice once that passed thru, though.:cool:

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
you may want to look into a flat crown to avoid the dangerously close sitting positon of your crown/headtube...

soooooo how does he/she ride? naming it?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
It's as close as it will get. A flat crown wouldn't hurt all the same...the steerer tube is just long enough to work with the stem (5-6mm shy of perfect length) and I'd be able to raise the stanchions/lower the crowns just a hair as well. I'm going to explore some options fairly soon.
It's definitely a she...I don't ride dudes. Haven't really had a chance to ride her the way I want to, considering I was sore most weekend from my stepdown digger. That happened on one of the first few runs I did on it. Stupid irresponsible dog owners!:mumble:

stinsonblvd said:
great bike man, you deserve it!
Thanks! I deserve alot of things, really.:nuts:

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Finally.:)

Didn't you go dirtbiking or something along those lines? How'd that go?
yep yep went to the moses lake dunes to ride with some buddys. it went great had an awesome time kinda hurt my knee a bit but alls well one guy in our group got hit one day though and bent the frame of his quad and one of his wheels, i think everybody in our group took a pretty good hard fall though