Quantcast

For the parents...

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
How mad would you be if your son went behind your back and got a job even though you'd already argued with him not to? Just asking because my dad told me he'd lend me the $1000 I needed for various things on my truck as long as I did not get a job. Now he's backing out because I'd "put him in a bad mood".

Yeah I'll admit I piss him off a lot, but the deal was I was not to get a job until summer and he'd lend me $1k. So, if he doesn't hold up his end... I don't have to either do I?

Thanks.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Hmmm... I'd be inclined to not go behind your dad's back. I've tried pulling sh|t like that before, and it never turned out well.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Don't do it behind his back...

The deal was no job = $1000 (EDIT - I doubt that you not pissing him off was part of tht deal). If he has chosen to reneg on that contract, you are allowed to go get a job. Make sure he knows you are doing it, and when he protest, you have ammo.

Personally I can't understand why any parent would not allow their children to get a job... I've been working since I was 14!

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
My mom made me get a job in high school. I agree with Slugman. Don't go behind his back, but do point out his reneging on the deal.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Slugman said:
Don't do it behind his back...

The deal was no job = $1000 (EDIT - I doubt that you not pissing him off was part of tht deal). If he has chosen to reneg on that contract, you are allowed to go get a job. Make sure he knows you are doing it, and when he protest, you have ammo.

Personally I can't understand why any parent would not allow their children to get a job... I've been working since I was 14!
Well that would be good idea with any logical, non-psychopathical parent, but I don't have the benefit of one of those.

My dad actually doesn't do deals. My mistake for calling it that. It was more of a "shut the f*ck up and (if I feel like it) here's $1000 if you do" kind of thing. So telling him would be like telling him I'm going to defy him, then doing it, as to doing it and letting him find out.

I'm really not allowed to have a job if I'm given the money or not. He has the sole right to back out of a "agreement" and not have any repercussions.

I know this'll sound stupid by tomorrow, but being kicked out really doesn't sound too bad.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Man, if i've learened one thing in my 16 years of raising hell, it's NEVER go behind/piss your parents off. Act cool and calm and mature and maybe he'll be cool about it. BTW, try and get a job at a shop if you can, cost for kiddies rocks!

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I don't get the logic here.

If my kid wanted $1k I wouldn't lend it to her UNLESS she had a job, maybe not even then.

Please 'splain.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
downhillzeypher said:
School. That's it.
So it was stay in school, get $1k?

Did you even have to THINK about that? So you pissed him off. Go to school and kick ass and get a job next summer.

I've worked full time since I was 15 and it sucks. I was always bummed that my home life was so ****ed up that I needed to quit school and work to get out.

Enjoy that sh*t and keep your trap shut bro.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
NOOO! Not quit school! Just get a part time job.

I hate asking my parents for money. I don't want them to have any more control then they wrestle onto me.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I agree with the others here: don't do it. First of all, you parents own your ass. You eat their food, live in their house and (even if you don't think so) you have it pretty good. Second, because of this rather unequal relationship, they don't have to make deals with you. Unfortunately, family dynamics are not democratic and are not fairly brokered transactions.

Simply, keep the peace.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
As a parent I can sympathize with what your dad may have felt. He probablly promised you he'd take care of your truck in the heat of the moment, after cooling off he realized that your truck is nicer than the car he drives and giving you more money for it would only make his car seem that much worse. Believe it or not parents don't have an endless supply of money even if they do have a couple grand in a savings account or other investment. Any money put in to a car other than regular mantinence or necessary repairs are useless, cars in general, especially brand new cars devaluate so quickly you can never come out on top. Being a young driver the odds of you wrecking that pimped out truck are pretty high too.

Tell your dad you want the money for a new computer to do homework on, a set of weights to work out with, a nice tool set, or some other useful item and see if his reaction changes. My bet isn't that you pissed him off so much as much as he just came to his senses.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
A few words of advice...

Pick your battles carefully, dont piss your dad off unless its really worth it.

Tell him if you get a job and your grades suffer, you will quit, then make sure they dont.

If he wont listen to reason, kick him in the nuts and yell, "It's not my fault your dad hated you!!"

dont do the last part

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Well, since he backed out on the deal I guess you could alwas tell him that your going to have to get a job in order to get the 1k. I had a job as soon as I had a car... I dont get why your pop wants you NOT to get a job... I can only guess its school related?

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
golgiaparatus said:
Well, since he backed out on the deal I guess you could alwas tell him that your going to have to get a job in order to get the 1k. I had a job as soon as I had a car... I dont get why your pop wants you NOT to get a job... I can only guess its school related?

Tell ya what...school is much more important than the $1G you might get right now...Finish school, and trust me, the difference it makes in your life will be worth more than a grand. And BTW Golgi----nice name. :)