Quantcast

For those on the diet roller-coaster

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Weight Watchers, Slim-Fast Top Diets
Associated Press | 11 May | J.M. HIRSCH

Meetings and shakes trump counting carbs when it comes to long-term weight loss, according to a recent analysis of diets by Consumer Reports magazine.

The publication, best known for rating cars and electronics, put Weight Watchers, with its support group meetings, and Slim-Fast, whose shakes let you opt out of cooking, at the top of the heap.

The ratings were based on pounds lost, nutrition, how easy the diet was to follow and dropout rates after six months and a year.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
yea... I've heard a lot of things say that the meal replacement shakes (slim fast and the like) do have pretty good results.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am not sure about slim fast but my GF works at Weight Watchers, so I know a bit about that. She originally went there because she got fat. The program works really well, provided (like any other diet) you actually follow it. It's not a silly fad thing, it advocates healthy eating, and excercise. It is really good for people who don't know much about nutrition and benefit from a group support setting. The GF has been involved in WW for about 4 years now, first as a member, then as an employee. She now cooks much healthier than when I first met her, she has joined a gym and works out 3 - 4 times a week, and no longer eats fast food. Since joining she has lost over 50 pounds and kept it off. IMO Weight Watchers is a good thing.