Quantcast

fork for tomac omen...

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
Dont tell me to go search, i cant find my answers.

Im getting one of these frames as a replacement to my le toy soon , i also fancy a new fork , The bike gets used for XC , dirtjumping and street .

I need a 4-5 inch travel (pref 4) fork with 20mm through axle and it needs to be light.

Im deeply unimpressed with the damping of my current z1 so i'd like to steer clear of them, I really wish fox did a through axle fork, that would be perfect.

The new manitou nixon sounds ideal but i assume im looking at an 05 release?

suggestions please:D

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
rockshox psylo tullio is what id say. 20mm, 3-5" adjustable. or a sherman flick. there really isnt an option for a 4" 20mm fork without getting custom springs or sumthin i dk

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What kind of Z.1 do you have? FR model?

If you've got the FR model then you've experienced all that Marz. has to offer; give the Manitou Sherman's a look. If you've got, say, a Z.1 Dropoff or somesuch, then you might have a tougher decision.

The Shermans are sweet. The Firefly is lighter than the Marz. offerings, but is a little more expensive than the Z.1 FR.

The Psylos are lighter but as always, it's hit-or-miss with RockShox. The price is great, though, if you're on a tight budget.

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
The Psylos are crap. If you don't mind the weight (6.7 lbs), then a Dirt Jumper one will give you great dampning for racing, jumps, & urban. Sherman Firefly is light & strong, plus the 04s have SPV for your sprints. Not the quality & plushness & stiffness of the Dirt Jumper, but a good race option (what I run now). SHermans runs 3 o5 inches though & cannot be altered. DJ1s run 4" but can be kitted up to 5, unless you get a 2003 and you have the reverse. A new option available will be the 2004 Marz Shiver with 4" travel & NEW 32mm stanchions. On sale for $250 at Supergo even though I heard they were not going to be sold in the US by an insider. This baby is just as heavy as the DJ1 though, just "faster" becuase of the reversed stanchions/legs (like a motocrosser). You really should give Marz a second chance in my opinion. They are one of if not THE best quality forks out. You just need to get the right fork for the job. The FR is not meant for jumping or racing, it is for trailbiking & freeriding, and yes, there is a difference. And that difference is in exactly what you are complaining about - the dampening. Go for the DJ1 & suck up the weight. You will NOT be disappointed.

You really

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
By the way, while the Nixon looks pretty trick, it is not what you want for jumping & urban. It is in the same catgory as your FR - freeride & trailbiking.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Rock Shox Pike will be coming out soon. That would be perfect. 20mm thru-axle, adjustable from 4 to (almost) 6 inches.